There's no way to get the 8530 GPS to work with Apps other than blackberry maps and vz navigator? What about loading sprint firmware on it?

How does VZW lock the GPS to only work with certain apps and not others anyways?
    12-30-09 10:30 PM
    I like the way google maps uses the GPS. But I don't think it can be unlocked. What exactly do you wanna do anyways?
    12-30-09 10:33 PM
    I wouldn't reccommend putting GSM software on a CDMA phone, but that's just me... It can't be hacked. Otherwise people would've posted the hack all over this site by now.
    12-30-09 10:40 PM
    You can't use Verizon's vz navagator on sprint sprint has their own as well
    I love the VZ Navagator I don't want to read when driving.......not safe so paying the extra 9.99 for voice navagation is good. I just wish it could be free on BB like Droid has it free on their google gps but oh well.......maybe BB and RIM will give us more good apps and make the competition even better
    12-31-09 12:12 AM
    I wouldn't reccommend putting GSM software on a CDMA phone, but that's just me... It can't be hacked. Otherwise people would've posted the hack all over this site by now.
    Umm. Sprint is a CDMA Network. not GSM

I think you should try installing Sprint's Firmware and see what happens. If anything you could revert it back to the original firmware
    02-12-10 07:51 PM
    There's no way to get the 8530 GPS to work with Apps other than blackberry maps and vz navigator? What about loading sprint firmware on it?

How does VZW lock the GPS to only work with certain apps and not others anyways?
    8530 GPS does work with other app's
    02-12-10 08:27 PM

VZW locks the GPS on the 8530?
    02-12-10 08:50 PM

i had this question when i first got a berry. the reason you can't unlock it is because the lock is server side not on the device itself.
    02-12-10 10:45 PM
    VZW locks the GPS on the 8530?
    This has been one confusing detail that I have read several people defintively declare yes and others equally strongly stating no. Does anyone know for sure and could they explain it once and for all?
    02-12-10 11:20 PM
    People said the same thing about the original Storm and it was definitely not locked.
    02-13-10 01:57 AM
    I use something called Blackstar; it's a GPS program that I like for the coordinates and the compass and I turned off the device radio and even WIFI just in case and the program works all by itself so it appears that the GPS function works stand alone. Maybe some programs it likes and some others, it doesn't. Good luck
    02-13-10 02:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD