Please, I need help on figuring the WiFi connection on my BB8520. I've tried it on 2 different public hotspots but the WiFi icon is still grey in colour.

I just set up my WiFi connection at home using a modem/router Zyxel P600. I can connect all my laptops around the house and there's no problem with my iPod touch and an iPhone but I can't get my Blackberry to work.

I've checked and I am connected, I browse through Bolt and BB browser (on hotspot mode) but it's a very spotty connection. At times I am able to browse and it will load the page but when I click on some links, it either loads really slow or times out or gives me a 'no internet connection' message.

There are also times that my BB finds no network and I have to keep refreshing until it does find my home network. I've had this close to a year now and I honestly never tried the WiFi until recently.

I have no BIS plan currently and I've checked through BB on the network details and it says the band type is 802.11b/g. I"m running on a OSv5.0.0.592. I've restarted my router countless times, have deleted the wifi profile on my BB and added it again, also did a battery pull. WiFi still won't work.

Hope someone can help me out.
    02-02-11 12:49 AM
    Without a BIS plan the wifi symbol will never turn white. That's what a white wifi icon means, that you're connected to RIM's server, which can only happen with a BlackBerry Data plan.

As for your connection issues, maybe try a different OS, I have no idea which one though...
    evil.bunny likes this.
    02-02-11 12:53 AM
    Change your browser settings to "hotspot browser" and you should be able to surf as long as they grey icon is there. Other than that, yeah... You need the plan.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-02-11 05:57 AM
    @ridesno159, thanks for the info. I always thought that a white WiFi icon meant I had no WiFi connection. Or a weak one.

@littona, I am on hotspot browser mode when I am connected through WiFi, and the grey icon is there but no go on the surfing.

Currently, I activated my BIS, I turned on the WiFi and noticed that I still get a grey WiFi icon. Should this turn white? Not exactly sure what triggers a white WiFi icon.
    02-02-11 05:19 PM