Hello,

I'm trying to upgrade the software on my Curve 8900 to 5.0. However, the desktop manager is showing me the following options in the update section:

1) Blackberry 4.6.1 (Current) Version 4.6.1.231
    2) Blackberry 4.6.1 (Downgrade) Version 4.6.1.114

How come it won't give me the option for v5.0? Does it matter if I have a sim card in the phone or not? Sorry, I'm sort of a newbie/not very tech savvy.

I'm running Desktop Manager v5.0.1.

Any advice would be appreciated
    07-16-10 03:16 AM
    having a SIM card in doesnt matter. always make sure you downloaded the correct OS meant only for your phone. my guess is that if you have installed the new OS to your PC, you forgot to delete the vendor file. follow the below instructions.

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-101...ting-system-os
    07-16-10 03:30 AM
    Sometimes DM ( Desktop Manager ) does not allow you to upgrade and I'm not sure why.

It doesn't matter if a sim card is inserted or not. However, I would recommend that you download the latest OS from Hutchison ''5.0.0.681'' (see sticky at the top of the 8900 forum) and follow the procedure found at my signature if the procedure in the given link an the above post did not work
    07-16-10 03:40 AM
    Part of the issue can be the way DM checks for updates. It knows who your carrier is, and checks RIM's database for the version number. So, if you are attempting to load a different carrier's OS, it may not see it. Things you can do to get it to load:

1) Download the OS version and install it on your PC.
    2) Make sure it is the only OS loaded for your BlackBerry (uninstall others) on that computer.
    3) If from a different carrier, delete the vendor.xml file.
    4) Disconnect your computer from the internet.
    5) Run apploader outside of DM.

If the new OS is the only one on the computer, that should help. If the OS comes from a different carrier, the vendor.xml file won't match your carrier and stop it from loading (so delete it). Disconnecting the computer from the internet will make AppLoader look on the computer for the OS, instead of searching the internet for the "latest" update.
    07-16-10 06:19 AM
    Hello,

I'm trying to upgrade the software on my Curve 8900 to 5.0. However, the desktop manager is showing me the following options in the update section:

1) Blackberry 4.6.1 (Current) Version 4.6.1.231
    2) Blackberry 4.6.1 (Downgrade) Version 4.6.1.114

How come it won't give me the option for v5.0? Does it matter if I have a sim card in the phone or not? Sorry, I'm sort of a newbie/not very tech savvy.

I'm running Desktop Manager v5.0.1.

Any advice would be appreciated
    Yeah, the problem is that when you plug your 8900 into DM, it's going to give you the OS versions that are approved by your carrier, not necessarily what is available for your device. You're going to have to DL 5.0 from another carrier, delete the vendor.xml file, and load using apploader.

First, here's a link to the sticky for 5.0 in the 8900 forum:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f100/ne...chison-473239/
    (The OP put the link in his signature since he doesn't have enough posts to add a link to his post)
    Follow the link to download the OS. Once it is downloaded, you'll have to install it to your PC much like you would any piece of software.

These are the instructions on how to load the new OS onto your 8900:
    How to Install or Upgrade to a New RIM BlackBerry Operating System (OS) with AppLoader | CrackBerry.com

If you have any issues, let us know, we're here to help you!
    07-16-10 08:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD