So, my new Bold 9650 is my first smart phone. My last cell phone didn't even have a camera. I tried to turn on the GPS by going to Options, then Advanced Options, then GPS and selecting Location On, instead of E911. I followed those steps per the BB website.

However, when I try to use the GPS Monitor app that I downloaded, I get a message that reads: GPS is Off.

If anyone can help me turn on the GPS function on my 9650, I would be grateful.

Thanks.
    08-18-10 09:06 PM
    So, my new Bold 9650 is my first smart phone. My last cell phone didn't even have a camera. I tried to turn on the GPS by going to Options, then Advanced Options, then GPS and selecting Location On, instead of E911. I followed those steps per the BB website.

However, when I try to use the GPS Monitor app that I downloaded, I get a message that reads: GPS is Off.

If anyone can help me turn on the GPS function on my 9650, I would be grateful.

Thanks.
    So you have the three set under gps:
    Device gps
    gps services on
    location aiding enabled

Try installing google maps and see if it works with that, since it maybe could be the monitor app.
    I have no prob at all and google maps is quick and awesome. Be outside also, just as a precaution.
    08-18-10 10:10 PM
    You can also go to Options/Status and type the word "test" (no quotes) and you won't see your typing. Then you can test the gps function - make sure you are out in the open and give it a chance to find the satellites.

In Advanced, options, did you make sure to SAVE your settings?
    08-18-10 10:21 PM
    it should work with location on do a battery pull to see if that works
    08-18-10 11:00 PM
    So I've got the problem with GPS where Google Maps says im withing 1000 meters of my actual location, but I am no where within that radius. Anyone got any suggestions?
    08-18-10 11:43 PM
    Is your gps on? Don't know the droid but it should have a good "conversation" with google maps. Usually larger radii means that it is using cell towers and not the actual gps. And if you are not in that large radii, something is amiss.
    08-19-10 08:39 AM
    Ditto with above. most likely your just not in a area with good GPS most likely. It happens to me at work all of the time (i work in a place where all of the different electronics going off hinders my signal)

good luck
    08-19-10 08:46 AM
    Sorry, I haven't updated my phone for this post in a while. I'm using a 9650, not a droid.
    08-19-10 02:19 PM
    Be in an open place like a field or park with few trees. Go to Options/status and type the word "test" (no quotes). You will not see it typed out. You will be in tets mode. You can now test the gps as well as other things.
    08-19-10 04:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD