If and when VZ or any other carrier goes to a tiered plan, how can I estimate how many gigs that I will use. If I do not use any video online and just get email, text, a few sms, and sites like this one will I go over say 2 gigs a month. I dont watch TV or hardly any video clips, just mostly data.
    09-26-10 11:53 PM
    You're like me and the most I have ever used is 300mb. A 500mb plan is more that suitable for the average BB user.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-26-10 11:55 PM
    Tiered pricing might be ok for for those who aren't really power users on the web but what about those who utilize the web for multimedia content? Will there be an unlimited option for those who really use the internet?

There's no legitimate reason for bandwidth caps.The only reason for bandwith caps is for price gouging. It certainly isn't because the network can't handle it.
    09-27-10 12:09 AM
    If and when VZ or any other carrier goes to a tiered plan, how can I estimate how many gigs that I will use. If I do not use any video online and just get email, text, a few sms, and sites like this one will I go over say 2 gigs a month. I dont watch TV or hardly any video clips, just mostly data.
    Look at your bill, it'll show you how much data you're using.
    09-27-10 12:13 AM
    I agree, check the bill or your "my verizon" website and it should say either place.

I'm concerned about it since I sure burn through some serious data now that I'm on the Droid 2 and can surf quicker. It would be nice of them of they'd make a free app for BB users (as a good one already exists for android) to let the user keep track of monthly usage, as it would help the consumer avoid overages. Of course for that reason they won't do it since they make free money off overages.
    Last edited by the_sandman_454; 09-27-10 at 12:32 AM.
    09-27-10 12:26 AM
    Your usage sounds quite a bit like mine, however I don't use anywhere close to that amount in a month. Right now I'm sitting at 48 megs and my cycle ends on 10/10.
    09-27-10 02:41 AM
    Tiered pricing might be ok for for those who aren't really power users on the web but what about those who utilize the web for multimedia content? Will there be an unlimited option for those who really use the internet?

There's no legitimate reason for bandwidth caps.The only reason for bandwith caps is for price gouging. It certainly isn't because the network can't handle it.
    I disagree greatly with you.

Go to Port Dover ontario on a friday the 13th. and try and use your phone, the volume of people is an example of network capacity issues.

Currently with a fraction of the mobile phone users utilizing their phones for multi media the networks are not taxed, as mobile broadband increases in speed and more people use their smartphones, and netbooks to stream greater amounts of content, they will reach the bandwidth within the wireless spectrum.

I really suspect you'll lose your unlimited option, once Android and Iphone hit our Carriers in Canada the unlimited plans all moved to 6GB plans due to their requirements of more bandwidth for much of the same tasts as featurephones and blackberry's, as well as average monthly usage was climbing.

I suspect as speeds increase, and demand increases you'll see the teleco's do to mobile as they did to home internet, and slowly increase home bandwidth allowances. My home plan grew from 60GB to 90GB over 3 years with a marginal price increase.

The US has been spoiled.

09-27-10 07:33 AM
    Yea I usaly use less than 75mbs a month. If you have Verizon, download the My Verizon app, it will tell you your usage and you can pay your bill and other things.
    09-27-10 10:24 AM
    I disagree greatly with you.

Go to Port Dover ontario on a friday the 13th. and try and use your phone, the volume of people is an example of network capacity issues.

Currently with a fraction of the mobile phone users utilizing their phones for multi media the networks are not taxed, as mobile broadband increases in speed and more people use their smartphones, and netbooks to stream greater amounts of content, they will reach the bandwidth within the wireless spectrum.

I really suspect you'll lose your unlimited option, once Android and Iphone hit our Carriers in Canada the unlimited plans all moved to 6GB plans due to their requirements of more bandwidth for much of the same tasts as featurephones and blackberry's, as well as average monthly usage was climbing.

I suspect as speeds increase, and demand increases you'll see the teleco's do to mobile as they did to home internet, and slowly increase home bandwidth allowances. My home plan grew from 60GB to 90GB over 3 years with a marginal price increase.

The US has been spoiled.

Verizon has two tiers currently, one being $30/month and the other $50/month. The second is for business use and is truly unlimited, the first is what most users sign up for and does have a cap, it's just set so high as to seem unlimited. I think it's at 5gb, and at around 120mb a month I personally would never see it.
    09-27-10 11:55 AM
    Verizon has two tiers currently, one being $30/month and the other $50/month. The second is for business use and is truly unlimited, the first is what most users sign up for and does have a cap, it's just set so high as to seem unlimited. I think it's at 5gb, and at around 120mb a month I personally would never see it.
    This is incorrect.

The BlackBerry data on Verizon currently has not cap. The only cap currently is for Broadband Wireless access. And THAT CAP is 5GB.
    09-27-10 05:54 PM
    This is incorrect.

The BlackBerry data on Verizon currently has not cap. The only cap currently is for Broadband Wireless access. And THAT CAP is 5GB.
    Oops, you're right, I was pulling from a memory of that fiasco in New York a few years ago, when Verizon had to reimburse people that they'd terminated for exceeding the cap. False advertising or something similar. I'd read a couple articles that lumped cell users in that number, most likely tethering though. Funny story, I was with Sprint at the time but looking for a new carrier; after that went down we decided to go with AllTel instead (plus plans were less expensive, and they had a red 8130), and Verizon wound up buying AllTel a few months later. Go figure.
    09-27-10 07:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD