I just got this phone yesterday, first time BB user. Wow, why didn't I get one sooner?

I am trying to setup the GPS, but I can't lock a signal.

I have tried using, BB Maps, Nav4All, and Google Maps.

All 3 of them are unable to lock a signal. Google Maps can get close, but it uses Tower Triangulation, not actual GPS.

I would like to be able to use Nav4all's turn by turn directions.

I even went into the retail store for help. They told me that I need to download (and pay $10/month) TeleNav in order get my GPS to work. I call BS. What do I need to do get this to work... without paying anything.
    05-28-09 05:21 PM
    I call BS. What do I need to do get this to work... without paying anything.
    Bluetooth gps receiver. most CDMA companies lock out the aGPS portion of their gps, so you can't lock a reliable signal...paying $10 a month for their branded nav, enables the assist mode, allowing you to use their towers to aid in locking a signal. I have an 8230 on the Telus network, and it's the exact same, Telus Navigator works flawlessly...it's fast and accurate...but BBmaps/Google Maps/GPSed etc cannot lock a signal. Bluetooth gps receiver uses a stand alone gps chipset, bypassing any network assistance (also locks a signal when you are out of your coverage area).
    05-28-09 05:34 PM
    thanks for the fast reply. Too bad it wasn't good news

Is there a hack or crack to edit their software?

So you mean I'd have to buy another device, a stand-alone GPS receiver, connect via bluetooth, and then connect via that way? I'd rather pay the $10/month than drag around another device. Why not just buy an actual GPS unit for $100?
    05-28-09 05:46 PM
    there are hacks for the storm, curve, and original pearl...they don't work for the flip last time I tried (the program didn't support the flip's GPSone chip), it's been a couple months though...you can get a gps puck for like $50 and about the size of a usb thumb drive. way more accurate and effective (I wouldn't trust the built in gps if I was in an unfamiliar city, cuts out way too much).

anyone heard of any new gps unlock guide?
    05-28-09 05:59 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f41/rea...v1-0-a-192999/

that's the guide I tried...GPST does not support the 82xx, I tried build 215 and 301...it recognizes the 8230, but not it's gpsone settings (which are the settings that need to be modified).
    05-28-09 06:04 PM
    I started going through that tutorial, and found the same thing as you... not able to edit gpsone settings

Did you read through all 23 pages of that thread to see if anyone find a way around? I'm going to start reading now.
    Last edited by harofreak00; 05-28-09 at 10:04 PM.
    05-28-09 09:24 PM
    honestly I just bought a Holux puck and have never looked back. I use my gps a lot for geocaching, so it was worth spending the $80 for something fast and reliable. if you go through the tutorial above, you'll eventually see the post where I just gave up trying.
    05-29-09 01:02 PM
    Interesting sidenote: I originally had an 8130 from Telus, and I upgraded the OS with Virgin Mobile's software (os 4.5), and my gps on that worked flawlessly, I can't remember if it worked before the upgrade or not...possibly had a Telus pearl using Virgin's unlocked aGPS.

I hadn't used it pre-upgrade, so it is possible that Telus didn't lock the pearl (8130) but did lock all their other blackberries. I know my gf's curve is locked also. Has anyone else experienced this?
    05-29-09 01:09 PM
    everyone who is having issues needs to download and install garmin 5.0.4 free trial.
    once intalled your bb maps will work.
    I deleted it after i confirmed bb maps worked, and still does after the deletion.
    I still get the can not acquire gps lock error, but i just fire up amaze gps and al is well.
    If you cant find garmin, pm or email me i have it on 4shared in .alx and .cod format...
    07-16-09 07:28 PM
    everyone who is having issues needs to download and install garmin 5.0.4 free trial.
    once intalled your bb maps will work.
    I deleted it after i confirmed bb maps worked, and still does after the deletion.
    I still get the can not acquire gps lock error, but i just fire up amaze gps and al is well.
    If you cant find garmin, pm or email me i have it on 4shared in .alx and .cod format...
    And the link on Handango. Note that it's for the 8130, but it works fine once installed.

Garmin Mobile for US & Canada (8130, Lifetime of device) : Trial Download : Handango

I can confirm that this fix works on my uscc-branded Flip. And no "hacking" or loading an unauthorized OS, so no worries about voiding the warranty.

Only catch: GMaps still won't use GPS, but that's a known issue on their end.
    07-16-09 10:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD