Hi guys!

Longtime lurker of the forums and daily reader of CrackBerry.

I'm reading about the new slider, the Bold 9700, the future Bold/Tour2 9650...it's driving me crazy here.

I recently switched over from a Verizon Wireless BlackBerry Curve 8330 to the Boost Mobile BlackBerry Curve 8330 because of the amazing $60/month + no taxes/fees deal. I want a new BlackBerry Tour or Bold because I've had this model for years now...but this plan is so dirt cheap; I can't find a LOGICAL reason to switch back to another carrier, other than pure lust for a new phone. All of the newer BlackBerries are beautiful, but the Boost BlackBerry does everything FUNCTIONALLY that the new ones do since it runs the 5.0 software. (Threaded text is the biggie for me)

So far, I can't complain about the service - I'm a Realtor here in Northern VA and DC. I drive around a lot and do about 2000-5000 minutes a month (depending on how good that month is! ), and I haven't had a single dropped call with Boost in two months. Actually, the irony is that I frequently dropped calls with Verizon in certain parts of Virginia...maybe I just haven't found the Sprint CDMA dead zones yet.

I was considering the $70/mo Sprint AnyMobile plan and getting the Tour2/Bold when it comes out, but I call landlines a lot and often use Google Voice, so the $99 plan would be my only option. But $40/mo., $480/yr. more than keeping my Boost 8330 at $60/mo.? Ugh.

I don't know why I'm posting this...just had to put this in writing. I want to let you know it's hard reading some of your threads!!
    03-16-10 01:41 AM
    Well rock on my friend. Isn't is supposed to be function over form anyway?
    03-16-10 02:21 AM
    Haha, amen my friend!! But seriously...I need to stay away from CrackBerry. Reading up on all the new devices is making me envious.
    03-16-10 02:27 AM
    Haha, amen my friend!! But seriously...I need to stay away from CrackBerry. Reading up on all the new devices is making me envious.
    I completely understand! It is an addiction after all!
    03-16-10 02:42 AM
    Keep what works.. But it's always nice to vent!
    03-16-10 09:02 PM
    You should just stick to boost and the curve for awhile longer. Thats a good deal compared to verizon's prices.
    03-16-10 09:55 PM
    Sounds like boost mobile is working out quite well for ya.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-16-10 10:05 PM
    hey, if it works for you that's all that counts right? "to thine own self be true."
    03-16-10 10:16 PM
    Haha! I love it.

I was secretly hoping that one of you would be like..."WHAT?!? The Curve 8330? That old piece of crap? Go out there and get a new Bold 9700."

But oh well...it works, right??
    03-16-10 10:45 PM
    Hi guys!

Longtime lurker of the forums and daily reader of CrackBerry.

I'm reading about the new slider, the Bold 9700, the future Bold/Tour2 9650...it's driving me crazy here.

I recently switched over from a Verizon Wireless BlackBerry Curve 8330 to the Boost Mobile BlackBerry Curve 8330 because of the amazing $60/month + no taxes/fees deal. I want a new BlackBerry Tour or Bold because I've had this model for years now...but this plan is so dirt cheap; I can't find a LOGICAL reason to switch back to another carrier, other than pure lust for a new phone. All of the newer BlackBerries are beautiful, but the Boost BlackBerry does everything FUNCTIONALLY that the new ones do since it runs the 5.0 software. (Threaded text is the biggie for me)

So far, I can't complain about the service - I'm a Realtor here in Northern VA and DC. I drive around a lot and do about 2000-5000 minutes a month (depending on how good that month is! ), and I haven't had a single dropped call with Boost in two months. Actually, the irony is that I frequently dropped calls with Verizon in certain parts of Virginia...maybe I just haven't found the Sprint CDMA dead zones yet.

I was considering the $70/mo Sprint AnyMobile plan and getting the Tour2/Bold when it comes out, but I call landlines a lot and often use Google Voice, so the $99 plan would be my only option. But $40/mo., $480/yr. more than keeping my Boost 8330 at $60/mo.? Ugh.

I don't know why I'm posting this...just had to put this in writing. I want to let you know it's hard reading some of your threads!!
    What was yur point anyway?
    03-16-10 10:51 PM
    Haha! I love it.

I was secretly hoping that one of you would be like..."WHAT?!? The Curve 8330? That old piece of crap? Go out there and get a new Bold 9700."

But oh well...it works, right??

WHAT?!? The Curve 8330? That old piece of crap? Go out there and get a new Bold 9700."
    03-16-10 11:37 PM
    ^^^^^ LOL. Thats what I really wanted to say, but was being polite.
    03-17-10 07:21 AM
    I'll be real honest with you because I would probably feel the same way as you if I were in your position. But if you have a GOOD month in the next few months, then I'd go ahead and treat yourself to the new phone that you want.

In the past 18 months or so, I've realized that I should never sign a two year contract again because I just want to get a new phone every year. I got the Storm2 last November and I'm already wanting to try something new, like the Nexus One. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the Storm2, but my curiosity of other devices and OS is starting to get to me.
    03-17-10 07:40 AM
    Could you get another device (Tour, Storm 9530, Curve 8530) and have them activate it? You'd keep your plan and have a new device.

I'm not familiar with the ways of CDMA, so ignore me if what I said is impossible.
    03-17-10 09:30 AM
    WHAT?!? The Curve 8330? That old piece of crap? Go out there and get a new Bold 9700."
    Ha! I love it!!!
    03-17-10 10:35 AM
    I'll be real honest with you because I would probably feel the same way as you if I were in your position. But if you have a GOOD month in the next few months, then I'd go ahead and treat yourself to the new phone that you want.
    Thanks, that's GOOD advice. I could theoretically be just fine with my Curve 8330 for the next couple of years...but it's not about my needs, it's about what I WANT. What I want is a newer BlackBerry with a better screen and a (slightly) better browser than my Curve can give me.

Thanks - this thread has helped! I may wait a few more months before I make the switch.

And I think you're right - I'm like you, too. I always want the latest and greatest...just so hard to be using a 2-3 year old phone when I'm a gadget geek.
    03-17-10 10:37 AM
    Hey guys.

I did it - I just purchased a new BlackBerry Bold 9700 from AT&T. The cost of the phone - $0.00 and no charge for the activation fee on Amazon.com - were just way too good to pass up...and I couldn't stand seeing newer BlackBerries as I still had my trusty Curve 8330 with me.

Excited!! It arrives Tuesday.
    03-21-10 11:11 PM
    *Edit* too bad you already jumped ship! lol What's your plan on A&T?

Well, I can totally relate as I'm on the Boost 8330. But I look at it this way, the functionality of it is pretty much the same. And in my case, after downloading the 5.0.0.509 OS hybrid, at least my 8330 can kind of "feel/look" like a newer BB. The differences in the hybrid versus the regular 5.0 on the 8330 are huge, from a cosmetic stand point. Because you can use themes that are made for the 8520/30.

I'm one who doesn't like contract phones, so this is the best option for me. 60 a month is simply unbeatable for a smartphone.

Also, with some trickery and modifying, the Tour from Sprint does work on Boost. I'm not sure if everything is fully functional though.

Last edited by MACKSnare519; 03-22-10 at 12:01 AM.
    03-21-10 11:55 PM
    Hey guys.

I did it - I just purchased a new BlackBerry Bold 9700 from AT&T. The cost of the phone - $0.00 and no charge for the activation fee on Amazon.com - were just way too good to pass up...and I couldn't stand seeing newer BlackBerries as I still had my trusty Curve 8330 with me.

Excited!! It arrives Tuesday.
    Congratulation! Enjoy it!
    03-22-10 12:17 AM
    Could you get another device (Tour, Storm 9530, Curve 8530) and have them activate it? You'd keep your plan and have a new device.

I'm not familiar with the ways of CDMA, so ignore me if what I said is impossible.
    possible but boost/sprint won't allow it. The boost 8330 actually runs on sprints network however if u had a sprint branded 8330 boost won't allow u to activate it.. I tried that when my buddy wanted to buy my old 8330. Boost said no way.. So I seriously doubt they would do it with a tour or even 8530 since boost doesn't offer those devices I think boost has the 8350i which doesn't look like a bad device.. Try that think its got click to talk and WIFI to... Hope this helps...

03-22-10 12:37 AM
    I wouldn't have switched from Boost to AT&T. The pricing at Boost is too good and I love the 8330.

03-22-10 07:48 AM
    Hey, congrats! I'm on AT&T and I have a 9700. I live in Northern Virginia I have no problems at all with reception. Just a couple of dead spots while on the train, but no biggie!
    03-22-10 07:57 AM
    I went to the even more extreme side, I just purchased an on 8707v from eBay for 20 and gonna test it for a few weeks. If I get on well with it I'll just sell my Storm 2 and buy a netbook with the money.
    Bottom line, I want a blackberry with a big screen and big keyboard. Might even try a 7290 as they are dirt cheap and they are optimised for GPRS rather then 3G, where I am 3g I don't think it makes 20% of the coverage.
    I hope I get it in the post today

03-22-10 09:36 AM
    I've used tons of the newer phones (Tour/Storm/Storm 2/Droid/Droid Eris) and I always end up coming back to my plain old Curve 8330. It never ever fails me. I get curious about newer devices, but I usually never like them that much.
    03-22-10 03:48 PM
    Message deleted
    Last edited by 9700On3; 03-22-10 at 05:14 PM.
    03-22-10 04:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD