but wifi will not connect you to rim. you have to find an open network some where close to youer phone.There is noway paying for the BES plan will do anything for you, its only for companys that use an enterprize server.
    Um...Yes, WiFi WILL connect you to RIM's servers, if working properly. Ask anyone on here that is able to get their emails and BBM while only on WiFi and turning the voice radio off.

You need a network to connect to the WiFi hotspot, but WiFi (the phone's method of accessing data when not using Verizon's data network) can and does connect your phone to BIS...when working properly.

If you searched, you would see that there was a thread in which a few people reported that their WiFi connections began to work when they switched their data plan to BES...I'm NOT SAYING THAT IS REQUIRED...I am saying that some simply had success early on doing that, but it isn't necessary
    11-18-09 03:16 PM
    You can call VZW all you want, there is no way you will connect to rim via wifi.....
    11-18-09 03:16 PM
    ok, what is rim address???
    11-18-09 03:17 PM
    ok, what is rim address???
    Okay, I think you are confused as to how wifi works or something...

wifi on the s2 allows your s2 to receive and transmit data without (or in supplement to) using verizon's data network. Wifi on the s2 allows you to use a different data network to access BIS. I NEVER once said that you are connecting directly to RIM's server, but you can be connected to BIS (meaning you can access and receive emails, BBM, etc.) while only on WiFi.

BIS is NOT a Data Connection Method. It is what you CONNECT TO using a data network (Verizon's through the phone radio, or a different network through WiFi)

I know you need a WiFi hotspot to actually get data, that is not my point. My point was simply to relay to OP that he shouldn't ahve to switch to BES because it is not needed and that there were a few people on here that reported early success with it.

I agree with you that changing from BIS to BES will do nothing. I only told OP that some did this early on, and that this shouldn't be needed...I'm not arguing that being on BIS or BES will fix anything, but you imply that you can't get to BIs while only on WiFi
    Last edited by spyderman09; 11-18-09 at 03:26 PM.
    11-18-09 03:20 PM
    Yeah I just switched to BES and it didn't change anything.

Is anyone here who has a Storm2 working with WiFi using the WRT610N with WPA encryption?
    11-18-09 03:26 PM

Is anyone here who has a Storm2 working with WiFi using the WRT610N with WPA encryption?
    I have that exact router and WPA2 configuration, and my WiFi works...including email and full white signal when connected.

I am not at home, but I don't think I have any special settings set up, but I can check when I do get home.
    11-18-09 03:30 PM

One thing to check on the router... make sure its set to support "802.11G" as well as "N". If set for wireless N strictly, you will not be able connect to it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-18-09 04:10 PM
    I just got it working !

I updated from a 1.x Beta build from much earlier this year on my router to the current 2.x build from the Linksys site and now it works.

Looks like the solution for anyone with a Linksys router is to make sure they have the most recent firmware loaded. Also I would use WiFi Protected Setup if it is offered since that is what I used when it worked.
    11-18-09 04:15 PM
    I just got it working !

I updated from a 1.x Beta build from much earlier this year on my router to the current 2.x build from the Linksys site and now it works.

Looks like the solution for anyone with a Linksys router is to make sure they have the most recent firmware loaded. Also I would use WiFi Protected Setup if it is offered since that is what I used when it worked.
    Glad to hear you got it working! I just got home and was checking my settings, but I guess that is irrelevant.

Enjoy!
    11-18-09 04:22 PM
    I just got it working !

Congratulations!

11-18-09 04:33 PM
    this is driving me nuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok, the phone says NETGEAR (SSID) so it sees it and is sort of connected. but wifi is greyed. The router shows the MAC of the S2 as being connected.. but the name of the device shows as -- and the ip shows as --
    11-18-09 07:42 PM

ok, the phone says NETGEAR (SSID) so it sees it and is sort of connected. but wifi is greyed. The router shows the MAC of the S2 as being connected.. but the name of the device shows as -- and the ip shows as --
    Your problem is definitely something with the router. Having an IP as -- means that your router is not assigning an IP address to the Storm2.
    11-18-09 08:06 PM

Static... don't know what to tell ya bud (budette, whichever the case may be ). I'm thinking it's mostly due to some setting within your NetGear router, but this is just a guess.

I will admit that I had purchased a NetGear router sometime in the past... and quickly returned it due to the difficulty with configuring the thing with various network hardware. But... this was some time ago, and I have no idea if the company has ever improved. Personally I've never had an issue with LinkSys, so I stick with 'em. Although, this commentary is of no help to you at this time .

As I am completely unfamiliar with NetGear router's configuration, I am unable to point ya in the right direction. Although, I did look up the tech spec's for model, but this does not help with proper setup of the router. According the tech spec's, there's no reason you should not be able to connect. So I can only guess that's there's some setting you need to change.

Personally, I'm using a fairly old LinkSys wireless router and was able to connect right away, with absolutely no issues. I know this of no conciliation to you.

Sorry, I can't be of any more help than that.

*Edit* Why the heck is it spliting the quoted post into seperate quotes? This is the second time now. >shrug< Don't get it. Oh well... nevermind... don't really care
    Last edited by Craterz; 11-18-09 at 08:17 PM.
    11-18-09 08:15 PM
    I spent 2 hours on the phone with bb support. Could not connect to my netgear but could connect to the neighbors! This stinks.

11-18-09 10:30 PM
    I just got it working !

Maybe this is my issue. I need to update my Linksys Router. I spent a good chunk of the evening yesterday trying to get my Storm connected to Wifi. I wanted to chuck it off my balcony. I will try this when I get home today and hopefully it works.

The only thing I could think was causing it not to connect was because my Router is set up WAP-Personal and there is only WEP that I could see on the Storm. If I use Pre Shared Key (PSK) it should still work though right?
    11-19-09 08:18 AM
    Maybe this is my issue. I need to update my Linksys Router. I spent a good chunk of the evening yesterday trying to get my Storm connected to Wifi. I wanted to chuck it off my balcony. I will try this when I get home today and hopefully it works.

The only thing I could think was causing it not to connect was because my Router is set up WAP-Personal and there is only WEP that I could see on the Storm. If I use Pre Shared Key (PSK) it should still work though right?
    WPA is supported by the Strorm2 (it's what I am using. WAP is a network type (mobile broadband on dumbphones and is not an encryption method.

If the Storm2 shows the network as being WEP encrypted than something is wrong with your router as it is not correctly identifying itself to the Storm2.
    11-19-09 07:18 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD