I have the Pearl 8130. I've enjoyed it overall, except the screen is small and the camera stinks.

So here are my options
    Tour 9630
    Storm2 9550
    Curve 8530
    Curve 8330

Because of my Verizon plan, I would get the Tour and Curves for free, pay $79.99 for the Storm2.

I like the fact that the Storm2 and Tour both come with SIM cards already.
    I'm not sure about a touch screen. I have problems purse dialing now. Can't imagine how bad it would be with a touch screen.

And I don't like black. I'm leaning more toward the Curves because they come in colors.

I don't play games, don't listen to music with my BB. I use my Pearl for web surfing, email, shopping lists (I use Upvise), calendar, etc.

I would like to take better photos and video with a new BB.

And I see that the Storm2 is WiFi ready? What does that mean? Would I be able to use the Storm2 as a WiFi spot for my laptop inside a building that blocks WiFi signals?

Suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    05-11-10 01:45 PM
    To pick from the list, I would get the Storm 2. It seems like it fits all of your needs if you were able to get used to the touchscreen. If you wanted to wait, the Bold should be coming to Verizon. That seems like it would meet your requirements completely. I have a Tour and I love it. But I heard that the Verizon Tours have issues. Plus, no WiFi on the Tour.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-11-10 05:30 PM
    The screen only responds to electrical disruptions caused by a finger or other conductive material. Therefore, the Storm is the least likely to cause any purse dialing. The fact that it's "wifi ready" simply means you could connect to a wifi network, unlike the first storm or tour.

05-11-10 05:55 PM
    You'll love the storm2 for what you want it for...as for purse dialing you can easily lock the screen.

05-11-10 07:21 PM
    The Bold 9650 is coming to Verizon VERY soon. Even though it will have a version of a current Operating System, it will be able to run Blackberry Operating System 6, which has upgraded web browsing, when it's available in a few months.
    05-11-10 07:31 PM
    Also: most blackberrys (or at least my S1) come with a sleeve that triggers a sensor on the blackberry to make it disable screen/lock buttons.
    05-11-10 08:04 PM
    Dont get the Tour I had 4 of them. trackball is a definite issue with it. I now have the Curve 8530 and like it a lot but the new Bold will have everything if you prefer to hold off. It will cost more even on an upgrade. I am very pleased with the Curve. No complaints but the purple color has issues. Hard to see typing from it due to the color. I would play with it in the store. I have the black and to me it is elegant looking. I have a case of the same shine that it slips into and it is really cool looking.
    05-11-10 08:38 PM
    I suggest the Curve 8530.

Don't get the 8330 if you can get the 8530 for free, the 8530, is a better device.

Storm2 is nice, and it has a nicer camera and larger screen than the curve, but they both run OS 5.0, are both 3G, and they both have WiFi. What the WiFi means is that you can link your BB up to any WiFi hotspot and transmit data that way, as opposed to using the native network. You can use it as a modem (tethering) for your laptop, but that includes an additional cost.

Plus, you can get it in purple, which you said you like.

05-11-10 09:17 PM
    I had an 8330. I loved it. No issues. Then I upgraded to a Storm 2. Best ever! I toss it in my purse all the time. Just lock it with the power button on the top of the phone. It was easy to get used to the touch screen. It only took me a few days to be able to type quickly again. I love the bigger screen for all my wallpaper. As for colors I just bought a purple silicone cover for it. I can change it whenever I want. Good Luck!
    05-11-10 09:22 PM
    The Bold 9650 is coming to Verizon VERY soon. Even though it will have a version of a current Operating System, it will be able to run Blackberry Operating System 6, which has upgraded web browsing, when it's available in a few months.
    I had the same thoughts, but I also considered that the 9650 will have the v6.00.00 software at release... remember the original Storm software? It's a tough call between the Storm2 (touchscreen and me don't mix) or waiting for the 9650 with potential software issues.

SIM availability is irrelevant unless the phone will be taken overseas or unlocked and used on a GSM network - but if the intention is to dump VZW then just do it now and get a 9700.

WiFi is a useful feature if you encounter bad cellular signals at home or the office, or if you will be roaming internationally to avoid some of the data charges. However it is for the phone to receive data from a hotspot, and it WILL NOT turn your phone into a WiFi hotspot to give web access over cellular from your PC (you can do this through the phone by cable or bluetooth, it's called "tethering" and VZW will bankrupt you for trying it).

I wouldn't discount the Curve 8530 as a stop-gap if a change now is essential, keep it for a year then upgrade. There is no point considering the older 8330 which has lower spec, is almost obsolete for new sales, and suffers from chronic memory shortage.
    05-11-10 09:45 PM
    I would suggest the Storm also. My suggestion is to play with the Curve 2, Tour, and Storm 2 in the store for a long time. Try typing on each phone. As far as hardware and so forth, all are about the same, sans the 2MP pixel on the Curve.
    05-12-10 05:08 AM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I currently have the pearl 8130 and i cant hear anyone when they call me so i decided time to upgrade only i am unsure what one to get ...first i wanted the curve8530 soo bad and im with telus and they came out with a pink one..im a girly girl..so i wanted a pretty colour LOL then i seen the new pearl 9100 and its also pink with telus..i dont know much about either one of the phones and id love some input ...i basically just use my phone to txt..bbm..and occasionally send pics and browse the net
    Last edited by shazata1802; 06-15-10 at 06:20 AM. Reason: forgot to add
    06-15-10 06:20 AM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I currently have the pearl 8130 and i cant hear anyone when they call me so i decided time to upgrade only i am unsure what one to get ...first i wanted the curve8530 soo bad and im with telus and they came out with a pink one..im a girly girl..so i wanted a pretty colour LOL then i seen the new pearl 9100 and its also pink with telus..i dont know much about either one of the phones and id love some input ...i basically just use my phone to txt..bbm..and occasionally send pics and browse the net
    Get the curve. I think the Pearl kind of sucks because it doesn't have the full keyboard and the buttons are way to small!
    06-16-10 01:04 AM
    The 83XX series is deprecated.

The Storm 2 is not beloved by all, but I kinda' like the first one, so maybe people are impossible to please.

Storm 2. Of all, it's the most likely to be suitable for OS 6.
    06-16-10 01:57 AM
    i was just looking at the differences between the 2 pearl and curve..im not interested into a touch screen one at all....the new pearl is 3g plus but i rarly leave my country anyways and it has the flash .. i dont know much about the 3Gplus network or what it does or what makes it so great ..and i dont know how much ill need the flash on the camera but on my pearl 8130 u have it now and it comes in handy at times.. im soo undecided lol still and i need a new phone asap due to the speaker no longer working sucks not being able to pick up a phone call...i was told once you get a full keypad you will never go back
    06-16-10 05:30 AM
    after all this i decided to go with pearl..my friend let me borrow her curve for a day and i couldnt txt on it at all lol im a 1 hand txter and went with the pearl..im used to it and it has alot more awsome options...so far i love it as much as my first pearl =)
    06-22-10 03:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD