Hi
    I was out and about with my Blackberry just and tried to access the internet via the Browser on the phone (and the Google Search App).

But it came up

"This is a Wi-Fi service. Please ensure your device has an active Wi-Fi connection and try again".

I have a Blackberry tariff on my O2 Simplicity tariff for 500mb per month, so why isnt it allowing me to surf the net?
    Surely this kind of thing should be possible without needing Wi-Fi.

Any help?
    Thanks
    09-25-11 08:08 AM
    I believe your tariff is only for email and BBM. Check with carrier for actual details
    09-25-11 08:32 AM
    Contact your carrier to get answers about your data plan.
    09-25-11 09:00 AM
    Dunno if this has anything to do with it but try it out anyway:
    Browser > Menu > Options > Browser Configuration > Browser > if this is set to "Hotspot Browser," switch it to "Internet Browser."

EDIT: Depending on the bb model, "Hotspot Browser" could be called "Wifi Browser." Anway, same concept, switch it to "Internet Browser."
    Last edited by Ateela; 09-25-11 at 10:43 AM.
    09-25-11 10:39 AM
    Dunno if this has anything to do with it but try it out anyway:
    Browser > Menu > Options > Browser Configuration > Browser > if this is set to "Hotspot Browser," switch it to "Internet Browser."

EDIT: Depending on the bb model, "Hotspot Browser" could be called "Wifi Browser." Anway, same concept, switch it to "Internet Browser."

There is nothing else to select apart from HOTSPOT BROWSER
    09-25-11 11:34 AM
    There is nothing else to select apart from HOTSPOT BROWSER
    When you click on it, you don't get the option of selecting a different browser? That's strange.. I have a curve too (8900) and I have this option :s
    09-25-11 11:54 AM
    Hi
    I was out and about with my Blackberry just and tried to access the internet via the Browser on the phone (and the Google Search App).

But it came up

"This is a Wi-Fi service. Please ensure your device has an active Wi-Fi connection and try again".

I have a Blackberry tariff on my O2 Simplicity tariff for 500mb per month, so why isnt it allowing me to surf the net?
    Surely this kind of thing should be possible without needing Wi-Fi.

Any help?
    Thanks
    I believe the ichat and BB-Unlock are correct in the answers they gave you.
    09-25-11 12:18 PM
    Would try grabbing your service books also:

Options, Advanced Options, Host Routing Table, (Menu) - Register Now
    09-25-11 02:43 PM
    When you click on it, you don't get the option of selecting a different browser? That's strange.. I have a curve too (8900) and I have this option :s
    No, if I click it then move up or down it doesnt change to anything else.
    09-26-11 02:03 AM
    Then do what the first few posters told you to do: check with your carrier to see if your tariff actually includes web browsing and not just bbm / emailing..
    09-26-11 02:08 AM
    I spent an hour on the phone to O2 UK, and after a SECURITY WIPE (which isnt a full wipe) they still couldnt get it to work, so I did as full a wipe as I could do with my phone using this method

KB18998-How to reset the BlackBerry smartphone to factory defaults

The phone reset itself and without me having to do anything else now I can get internet access when I am not on a Wifi router. So all is now good.
    I think there was just an issue with my phone having not been given permission to allow internet access when on 2G/Edge and the permission got stuck somewhere when trying to be allowed access to do so.
    Thanks for your help everyone
    09-27-11 01:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD