02-04-12 08:21 AM
33 12
tools
    I don't know if there is another way to get a BlackBerry for less when it's brand new. I would suggest going to Kijiji or eBay; but using a phone that was previously owned by someone else might be risky, as well. A BlackBerry that's not as "new" - like Bold 9780/9700 - might be a better option; but last I checked, they're still pretty pricey. How long do you have to wait before your contract is up; or are you just doing a Pay-As-You-Go thing for your iPhone right now? You might have to unfortunately get a contract plan ($0 for phone upright or a small starting fee and then you're in for 2 or 3 years) in order to not have to pay a lot of money up front. Good luck, and let us know what you've decided!
    02-03-12 05:22 PM
    Yep. Meet in a public place.

But concerning the iPhone, sometimes the carriers will allow an early upgrade after a year if you extend your contract. So if you can stick it out for a year, then you might be golden with your new Bold.

I looked into similar options when my 9700 gave out, if was only after a year into a 2 year contract. Replacement prices were ridiculous. After calling AT&T, they told me I could get an early upgrade, so I got the 9800 (ugh, mistake). Mind you, this is an enterprise account, but maybe you can get the same deal if you're willing to wait?
    Since you, I, and the OP are all AT&T, I'll verify that. My personal experience is that the local stores don't seem to want to do it. I had sales people at two different stores try to jack me for $250. Calling AT&T CS got me a very nice lady who upgraded my 9800 to a 9810 for $18 early upgrade fee plus the normal upgrade price of $49. As long as the OP is at least a year into his contract and agrees to go for another 2 years, he should be OK. And have an iPhone to sell one of the sheep.
    02-03-12 06:57 PM
    Does anyone have any idea what the actual cost is to make a Blackberry, iphone or android? I wonder how much profit is made on each phone. It appears that after 6 months of life the phones are obsolete......so how much can they actually cost at production. I'm thinking somewhere around 75% markup. Does anyone have a clue?
    not sure actual cost I remember reading an article a little over a year ago
    saying it cost blackberry $180 dollars to make a 9700. So I figured maybe
    a little more now for a 9900.
    At my store iPhone and Blackberry phones store cost is really high. Androids are really
    low store cost.
    Spencerdl likes this.
    02-03-12 07:01 PM
    Thanks BULLSEYE, so I guess somewhere around 75% markup
    02-03-12 07:31 PM
    you can find people out there that will trade a 9900 for an iPhone 4S you just gotta look. Bold is RIMS top model so they always have been and probably will continue to be to more expensive of the models. The curve is geared to off set that by being the same idea as the bold just more money friendly.
    02-03-12 09:08 PM
    Appreciate everyone's advice! I did pop into an AT&T store today to look at the 9810 and 9900. Full price is $449 and $549 respectively.

The feel of the 9900 is awesome and the keyboard is bliss! The 9810 has the autofocus and HD video recording, but the keyboard felt very cramped. Also have to wonder if the slider would get annoying over time since I've always had the candy bar style.

I'm going to keep mulling it over. I'd want to buy new for warranty purposes so I know it will be costly. Just need to be totally sure bout giving up the iPhone.

Thanks again everyone!
    02-03-12 10:08 PM
    You just gotta love the keyboard on the 9900. I had a 9700 and loved its keyboard but after switching to 9900, there was no turning back

The 9900 also shoots and records HD video but as you have mentioned, it lacks AF.

I've had my fair share of slider phones and having extra moving hardware is little less sturdier than the ones that doesnt. But that's just me

Good luck with your choice
    02-03-12 11:47 PM
    You just gotta love the keyboard on the 9900. I had a 9700 and loved its keyboard but after switching to 9900, there was no turning back

The 9900 also shoots and records HD video but as you have mentioned, it lacks AF.

I've had my fair share of slider phones and having extra moving hardware is little less sturdier than the ones that doesnt. But that's just me

Good luck with your choice
    Thanks!!!!
    02-04-12 08:21 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD