02-04-12 08:21 AM
33 12
tools
    Hi Guys/Gals,

Well I'm shocked at how much these Blackberries are going for at full price. I've never purchased one before without a contract upgrade, but now that I'm frustrated with my iPhone 4s and missing BB, I've been doing some research.

UH OH! Looks like I'm stuck.

Prices for the 9900 or 9810 are anywhere from $500-$600 or more!

Am I missing something here? Some other way to buy one of these without spending an arm and a leg?

02-02-12 03:59 PM
    Bold's have always being expensive at retail.

You can get a new Curve 9360 for $300 off contract, assuming your carrier is AT&T as your profile says.
    AmazonWireless: BlackBerry Curve 9360 Phone (AT&T)
    02-02-12 04:14 PM
    Try calling your carrier customer retention department. You can usually get through to them by saying you want to cancel your account. They may be able to give you a better price on the condition you extend your contract with them. Don't expect the cheap new contract price, but it will be cheaper than retail.

Be honest with them and explain that the iPhone isn't working for you and you may be annoyed enough to just pay out your penalty and switch to another carrier that will give you a BlackBerry at a discounted rate if you sign on.
    Last edited by robsteve; 02-02-12 at 04:35 PM.
    02-02-12 04:29 PM
    Try the marketing forum... (just be careful, read this sticky first. Great advice...)

http://forums.crackberry.com/marketp...r-beware-2456/

http://forums.crackberry.com/marketplace-f14/
    02-02-12 04:42 PM
    Will you be selling the iPhone? If it's still in good condition I'm sure you could get very close to the price you'd pay for the new Bold.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-02-12 04:44 PM
    Bold's have always being expensive at retail.

You can get a new Curve 9360 for $300 off contract, assuming your carrier is AT&T as your profile says.
    AmazonWireless: BlackBerry Curve 9360 Phone (AT&T)
    Thanks for the link. Yes I'm on AT&T now.
    02-02-12 06:37 PM
    Try calling your carrier customer retention department. You can usually get through to them by saying you want to cancel your account. They may be able to give you a better price on the condition you extend your contract with them. Don't expect the cheap new contract price, but it will be cheaper than retail.

Be honest with them and explain that the iPhone isn't working for you and you may be annoyed enough to just pay out your penalty and switch to another carrier that will give you a BlackBerry at a discounted rate if you sign on.
    Hmmm, I've only been with AT&T since 10/14/11! Left tmobile to get an iPhone. Ugh. Was with tmobile for over 9 years. So far AT&T has been fine though.
    02-02-12 06:39 PM
    Will you be selling the iPhone? If it's still in good condition I'm sure you could get very close to the price you'd pay for the new Bold.
    Yes, I'd sell it but doubt I'd get $600 for it!
    02-02-12 06:40 PM
    Call AT&T and tell them you want a Bold. For kicks I checked out the upgrade price online at Rogers for my son's account which was new in September and the result was obviously not eligible for upgrade, but $499 cash price.

The prices you see on ebay are aimed at people who do not have a local source for a 9900. They also have no warranty on them.
    02-02-12 06:47 PM
    No, but with very little effort (like gazelle), you can probably get $350. With a little more effort (selling it yourself) you can probably get $400 or more.

Then if you can get AT&T to discount your Bold to $500, the difference won't be too bad for you.
    02-02-12 07:01 PM
    Well, where I am I see the 16GB iPhone 4S going for around $400-$450 on craigslist. I'm not sure where you're located, but if it's in the US I'd bet you could get something very similar.
    02-02-12 07:20 PM
    No, but with very little effort (like gazelle), you can probably get $350. With a little more effort (selling it yourself) you can probably get $400 or more.

Then if you can get AT&T to discount your Bold to $500, the difference won't be too bad for you.
    Things are looking up...LOL! Thanks....I'm not fond of Craig's List so need to figure out how best to sell on my own. I can try asking AT&T what they'd do but given I'm a new customer I don't expect much.
    02-02-12 07:34 PM
    Well, where I am I see the 16GB iPhone 4S going for around $400-$450 on craigslist. I'm not sure where you're located, but if it's in the US I'd bet you could get something very similar.
    Thanks. Craig's List scares me to be honest.
    02-02-12 07:35 PM
    Thanks. Craig's List scares me to be honest.
    Yep. Meet in a public place.

But concerning the iPhone, sometimes the carriers will allow an early upgrade after a year if you extend your contract. So if you can stick it out for a year, then you might be golden with your new Bold.

I looked into similar options when my 9700 gave out, if was only after a year into a 2 year contract. Replacement prices were ridiculous. After calling AT&T, they told me I could get an early upgrade, so I got the 9800 (ugh, mistake). Mind you, this is an enterprise account, but maybe you can get the same deal if you're willing to wait?
    02-02-12 07:47 PM
    Yes, the subsidized prices that people see in ads has really distorted the reality of their pricing...
    Mr.Willie likes this.
    02-02-12 07:49 PM
    Yep. Meet in a public place.

But concerning the iPhone, sometimes the carriers will allow an early upgrade after a year if you extend your contract. So if you can stick it out for a year, then you might be golden with your new Bold.

I looked into similar options when my 9700 gave out, if was only after a year into a 2 year contract. Replacement prices were ridiculous. After calling AT&T, they told me I could get an early upgrade, so I got the 9800 (ugh, mistake). Mind you, this is an enterprise account, but maybe you can get the same deal if you're willing to wait?
    Thanks. Another 8.5 mos to make a year. I'm way too impatient!
    02-02-12 07:52 PM
    Yes, the subsidized prices that people see in ads has really distorted the reality of their pricing...
    Tell me about it!
    02-02-12 07:54 PM
    Its not bad my 9810 cost me $490 with tax on AT&T.
    pretty sure you can find a good condition used one for $300
    or a 9900 for $450
    02-02-12 08:06 PM
    Hi Guys/Gals,

Well I'm shocked at how much these Blackberries are going for at full price. I've never purchased one before without a contract upgrade, but now that I'm frustrated with my iPhone 4s and missing BB, I've been doing some research.

Am I missing something here? Some other way to buy one of these without spending an arm and a leg?

Hi kcmo,

A bit off topic but I was just wondering if you are also a member over at TRF?

Cheers
    02-02-12 08:07 PM
    Its not bad my 9810 cost me $490 with tax on AT&T.
    pretty sure you can find a good condition used one for $300
    or a 9900 for $450
    How do you like the 9810? Did you consider the 9900 as well?
    02-02-12 09:26 PM
    Oh I did considered a 9900 as I think it looks so elegant and I love the keyboard.
    What stopped me from purchasing it was no auto focus and the battery life.
    I simply love the battery life on my 9810
    02-02-12 10:01 PM
    Oh I did considered a 9900 as I think it looks so elegant and I love the keyboard.
    What stopped me from purchasing it was no auto focus and the battery life.
    I simply love the battery life on my 9810
    Thanks for your feedback
    02-03-12 02:57 PM
    Hi Guys/Gals,

Get one off of Craigslist. They are a dime a dozen there. I have bought new Berries, sealed in the box off of Craigslist at 30% off of retail and no sales taxes.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    02-03-12 03:20 PM
    If you watch who the seller is, sometimes an authorized agent store will sell phones on eBay. If you buy from them then the warranty is good. Provided it's a new phone. Sometimes they are selling stuff that was returned within the grace peroid, in which case, there is no warranty.
    02-03-12 03:35 PM
    Does anyone have any idea what the actual cost is to make a Blackberry, iphone or android? I wonder how much profit is made on each phone. It appears that after 6 months of life the phones are obsolete......so how much can they actually cost at production. I'm thinking somewhere around 75% markup. Does anyone have a clue?
    02-03-12 04:28 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD