I've read through countless threads, some say tho not saying completely that you can use one of the multi app programs to connect to your IM's over wifi but dont say if thats with or without a data plan.

Honestly what im trying to find (i have a laptop already), but when i travel i need some sort of smartphone/pda that has wifi access to use IM programs(msn, yahoo,gtalk,aim,qq), i travel internationally and want to avoid having to pick up data plans in different countries.

I just want something small like the blackberry bold but want to be able to access my IM's via wifi without the data plan because its to much of a pain to swap out data plans internationally all the time, so if i could access my IM's via wifi on my phone i'd be happy as can be. Any ideas or hacks or even recommendations to other phones would be truly and greatly!! appreciated.
    Thanks.
    01-02-10 05:20 AM
    Hello person,

It would seem that you are required to have a data plan meaning a BIS subscription in order for you to use RIM applications. The IM clients pre-install on a Blackberry are usually the Applications made by RIM which are designed to access only the BIS connection. There are third party apps that use the Wifi connection.

The solution I think would be to use T-Mobile Blackberry that comes with UMA which allows for the data plan to go over Wifi, calls, SMS but just remember to turn off the cellular radio and leave Wifi on. This only works if you work a lot of hotspots.
    01-03-10 04:33 PM
    Ah cheers thats what i wanted to hear. I've ended up choosing the N900 over a blackberry tho unfortunately, cheers for the clarification man.
    01-03-10 07:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD