Here's the skinny on an extremely unacceptable and dangerous glitch that just happened to me. Holy crap, how did it even happen?!

I'm on my second BB phone on Sprint. First was the Tour and now it's the Torch. With my first as well as the second, I take pictures and send them with descriptions or general rants or just the pics themselves as text messages. My Tour is long since dead along with the pictures I had taken with it. Well, that's not exactly correct, I did transfer them all to my computer before I buried the Tour. Apparently the pictures I had sent through the ether with the Tour are still floating around in perpetual existence. The other day I took a pic with my new phone, the Torch, and sent it out to its recipient. When the text/picture reached its destination, lo-and-behold, it was not the picture I had just taken but a picture that has long since, 2+ years, been gone and/or deleted from existence - accept, I suppose from the "cloud". What the ?! Any clue as to how dangerous that is?!?!?!

How does that happen? I am extremely weary now to send anything from my BB phone. Thoughts?
    09-12-12 12:45 PM
    Are you absolutely certain you sent the intended photograph? Can you confirm the name of the file you sent as an attachment - actually open the original message and find the attachment name and then open the attachment from within the message on your own smartphone?
    09-12-12 12:49 PM
    The picture that went out is not even on my phone, period. In fact, it's not even one that I can find archived to my computer after I ditched my previous phone. When the receiver hit me back to say he didn't understand what I sent, I quickly checked my message and then had him send me the pic back. I'm 99.9% sure it was a picture I had taken when I looked at it. What went out from my end is not what he received. Yikes!
    09-12-12 01:00 PM
    Isn't this one of the signs that the end of the world is at hand?
    eBud and joski like this.
    09-12-12 01:05 PM
    I've never heard about anything like this.

Pics or it didn't happen.
    09-12-12 01:41 PM
    Have actually had happen to me. If I'm traveling international and someone from the US sends me a picture it will sit in the carriers servers until I get back. I've gotten pictures a month old sometimes
    09-12-12 01:49 PM
    your provider stores SMS and MMS sent. i had a friend that worked for Bell and he told me if he wanted to he could go through hand look at pics sent through the servers. its quite possible that the file name was the same and your provider had sent that picture, it could have happened to anyone on any device as an MMS does not go through BIS
    09-12-12 02:23 PM
    Through BBM I've seen text go to the wrong recieptient receive text (sometimes along with the right one), the wrong image send (or to the wrong person), the inablility to send anything beyond text (one way or both), failure to see text on either end, failure to accept an invite, people on groups be invisible to most members, and I'm sure a few things I've forgotten (or wish to).

The tech involved is too complicated, from storage differences, file types, OS/app versions, carriers, the network and servers enlisted, along with sheer global number of users to expect anything other than the unexpected.
    09-12-12 02:36 PM
    Through BBM I've seen text go to the wrong recieptient receive text (sometimes along with the right one), the wrong image send (or to the wrong person), the inablility to send anything beyond text (one way or both), failure to see text on either end, failure to accept an invite, people on groups be invisible to most members, and I'm sure a few things I've forgotten (or wish to).

The tech involved is too complicated, from storage differences, file types, OS/app versions, carriers, the network and servers enlisted, along with sheer global number of users to expect anything other than the unexpected.
    Whew! This is good to know. I thought that you were flirting when you sent that noodie pic.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    09-12-12 02:39 PM
    Whew! This is good to know. I thought that you were flirting when you sent that noodie pic.
    You could have asked me to stop, instead of deleting me.
    09-12-12 02:45 PM
    You could have asked me to stop, instead of deleting me.
    I'm sorry! If BBM was platform agnostic I wouldn't have!

*end highjack *
    joski likes this.
    09-12-12 02:51 PM
    Could be one of a number of things but my money is on a brain fart somewhere at one of the carriers. The original pictures with the same name may not have been received when sent the first time, when you've resent its pushed through the old file from their server (tied to your sim id) rather than the new one

Complete guess work, but it's the only thing I can think of, unless you need to talk to frank
    09-12-12 03:57 PM
    If indeed it is possible for messages and images to go to the wrong recipient (especially through BBM as indicated by BigBadWulf) then I'd say that represents a fairly significant security flaw.

I can't say I've ever received someone else's email via my ISP.
    09-12-12 04:47 PM
    If indeed it is possible for messages and images to go to the wrong recipient (especially through BBM as indicated by BigBadWulf) then I'd say that represents a fairly significant security flaw.

I can't say I've ever received someone else's email via my ISP.
    'Tis indeed.

Been rare, and quite some time since it happened last.
    09-12-12 06:00 PM
    I've never heard of this before.
    09-12-12 08:03 PM
    Anything is possible but i have not heard of this being a wide spread problem or even an occasional one.
    09-12-12 08:24 PM
    Sprint specifically does have an online login where you can view your sent and received picturemail (or at least they did a couple of years ago). It is very possible that the image was stored there and an error occurred where it sent that image instead (perhaps the image was the same name?).
    09-13-12 06:21 AM
    I've seen this happen with Pictures sent over SMS/MMS but never with Data services like BBM or email

I've received texts 2 and 3 months later from people, never as long as 2 years.
    wxmancanada likes this.
    09-13-12 01:29 PM
    When I first switched from at&t to VZW, I had emails repeatedly come to me, some I'd originally received two years prior. It was disturbing, to say the least. One from my sister announcing the passing of an aunt in particular.
    09-13-12 02:09 PM
    I personally have never herd/had this happen I believe op stated he was99.9%sure he sent the right pic my money is on user human error imho.
    09-13-12 05:31 PM
    I think as BigBadWulf mentioned, the tech involved is probably quite complicated.

I've bought a used 9860 recently, and when i met up with the seller, he was still using it. I did a security wipe immediately in front of him. Once it was done, i popped in my sim, and once i connected to BIS, emails came in. Only that the emails were for the previous owner's email account.

I'm guessing emails came it while the phone was doing a wipe, and emails were pending on RIM's servers to push it down to the BB (which is associated with the PIN number of the BB). Once it connects to BIS, it pushed the email out. Since at that point, i have yet to set up my BBID on that phone.
    09-13-12 10:47 PM
    Perhaps PIN numbers should be tied to the BBID/User instead of the phone.
    09-13-12 10:50 PM
    Perhaps PIN numbers should be tied to the BBID/User instead of the phone.
    would be nice as far as BBM goes, would be easier then having to wait for the PIN of the new device to change through all the contacts
    09-14-12 12:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD