BAD NEWS

I followed all of your instructions, INCLUDING the wipe after the resettofactory and it's a no go. Just finished loading the 4.2 OS and still the firewall is locked to enabled.

This is ridiculous to go through this much hassle to get a BB back to normal after being connected to a BES previously. I paid good money for this phone, I own it out right and I am going to take it back to AT&T and demand they give me a replacement.

I'm starting to lose my faith in BB's, if they are this restrictive I might as well give Steve Jobs my $$$ and by an iPhone.
    07-19-08 12:42 PM
    Crucial... I really do love you
    07-19-08 01:26 PM
    Lets see if this helps, it worked for me after the
    Unite! debacle

1) Use the search for files/folder function in Windows
    to find any file named policy.bin Delete those.

2) Open regedit and use find to search for the same file(s)
    and delete those, from the pane on the right.

3) Open DM, connect BB, click backup/restore, then advanced,
    in the pane on the right highlight policy and press clear.

4) Check Firewall, if still enabled, repeat resettofactory,
    reload OS and it should now be disabled.
    07-19-08 02:09 PM
    Crucial... I really do love you
    Cool. Did this help you? I'm not understanding why bluepearl is having such a problem. This works all the time. But I'm still working on it pearl.
    @ballinsol14. Let me know any time I can help. It's my pleasure.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-19-08 02:23 PM
    Ahhh AG I will give this one a shot and see if this works for me.

Crucial: I made a post in the 4.5 Beta Talk section titled 'I Need Help'....I attached a screenshot of what the error message was. I'm hoping to be near a computer again today to get this issue resolved.

07-19-08 02:24 PM
    The Javaloader command resettofactory is confusing in name.

Its function is to remove the IT policy and nothing else.

Attached to this post is a list of Javaloader commands obtained by typing javaloader -?

If you wish to do this, then use either the Resettofactory command in JL_Cmder or, uses this command batch file
    cd c:\progra~1\jl_cmder
    javaloader -u resettofactory

To reset a Blackberry, use either
    wipe [-a|-f]
    Wipes the handheld
    javaloader -u -a wipe Wipe applications only
    javaloader -u -f wipe Wipe filesystem only

Here's a command batch file to do just this.
    cd c:\progra~1\jl_cmder
    javaloader -u -f wipe

Alternatively you can use JL_Cmder which issues a Javaloader -u wipe command (note the lack of either a -a or -u switch). I found this out by editing the JL_Cmder.cmd file in C:\Program Files\JL_Cmder.

You can also use the Loader program delivered with Desktop Manager and issue the command loader /nojvm. Which has the effect of bricking the phone back to JVM error 507 (no Java, i.e. dead, No Operating System).

Loader.exe may be found in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader

Here's a command batch file to do just this.
    cd c:\progra~1\common~1\resear~1\apploader
    loader /nojvm

I use just this command in CrackMem v2 which is probably the safest way to invoke this command. If you want CrackMem it can be downloaded from here http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/crac...eleased-52044/. It will aslo helo with re-loading your Operating System on your BlackBerry.

To save these command batch files to your PC, right click on your desktop and select New and Text Document. Rename [Press F2] the file to anyname.bat, right click it and select edit Paste the blue commands into the file and save the file.

Using these files will INSTANTLY excecute the commands. There is no 'Are you sure' message.
    Last edited by Pete6; 07-19-08 at 02:59 PM.
    07-19-08 02:48 PM
    Ok, Pearl. I believe this will work.

1)Download the file policy.bin
    and save it to C:\ProgramFiles\ResearchInMotion\Blackberry

2) Wipe the device with JL_Cmder

3) I'm assuming you have XP so go Start>Run and when prompted enter regedit On the left hand side in the tree go to; HKEY_Current_Users\Software\Research In Motion\Blackberry\PolicyManager

Go ahead and right-click Policy Manager folder and select New/String Value and name the value Path. Then double-click Path subkey and set Value Data to: C:\ProgramFiles\ResearchInMotion\Blackberry\policy .bin

4) Open DM and connect the device. Verification. After that you shouldn't see any more anything about a IT Policy and should be able to do whatever you want.

GL. And keep me posted.
    07-19-08 03:40 PM
    Crucial as I am still having issues with JL_Cmdr, can I use CrackMem to do the job with wiping the handheld???
    I have the policy in place I just need to wipe the handheld.
    Last edited by SimeonAS89; 07-19-08 at 11:53 PM.
    07-19-08 11:49 PM
    No. Crackmem will remove unwanted apps only. It does
    not wipe the device.
    07-19-08 11:54 PM
    Crucial as I am still having issues with JL_Cmdr, can I use CrackMem to do the job with wiping the handheld???
    I have the policy in place I just need to wipe the handheld.
    As, I posted in your thread, just go to options>security options> general settings> menu wipe handheld. Then continus with the directions.
    07-20-08 07:04 AM
    i also kept getting this issue. Everytime i wiped with JL_CMder, the locked firewall would come off, and then all of a sudden come back up again. After hours of wiping and reinstalling, i found out it was from the Blackberry Unite software, and for some reason after i uninstalled it on both my computer and berry the IT policy kept popping up. The red lock popped back up only AFTER i hooked my berry up to the DM. I know its not the backup file because after i un/reinstalled the DM that same backup file didnt give me any more red locks.

back everything up, wipe your device with jl_cmder, and uninstall/reinstall your desktop manager.

i dont cant explain why, but after reinstalling the DM, i stopped getting the red lock. I hope this helped you as much as it helped me. i know this can be frustrating, but thats what the forum is for =]
    07-20-08 08:10 AM
    ok so I have several older backups. What if I was to use those instead of a newer one? Would that help at all?
    I haven't had time to try any of the solutions as I have no been near a computer, its almost as if, I've lost total functionality of this phone its crazy. A lot of my apps don't work anymore because of the Firewall. I'm going to give all of this stuff a shot tho tonite

Posted from my CrackBerry @ wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by SimeonAS89; 07-20-08 at 08:18 PM.
    07-20-08 08:15 PM
    The backups, no matter when they were made, will make
    no difference at all to resolving your issue.
    07-20-08 08:52 PM
    alrighty, well im giving this a shot now, hopefully this resolves the issue.

i'll keep everyone posted
    07-20-08 10:01 PM
    No. Crackmem will remove unwanted apps only. It does
    not wipe the device.
    I know this is off-topic, but I believe Pete did add functionality to CrackMem to be able to wipe the device. If I remember correctly, there was some sort of button you could push and it would essentially run the JavaLoader command for wipe...
    07-20-08 11:08 PM
    hmmm, ill have to try that
    I got the IT Policy Blank,
    now its just a matter of getting that Firewall off, it still has a red lock next to it, it makes no sense to me
    07-20-08 11:35 PM
    I know this is off-topic, but I believe Pete did add functionality to CrackMem to be able to wipe the device. If I remember correctly, there was some sort of button you could push and it would essentially run the JavaLoader command for wipe...

Good catch Mc. I completely forgot about that. But a wipe will not fix
    this issue. Gotta remove that policy.bin from the PC and registry, and
    resettofactory.
    07-20-08 11:41 PM
    how do u reset to factory?
    is it options >security> general>wipe?
    07-21-08 12:50 AM
    I was finally able to rid the phone of any traces of an IT policy/Firewall.

This is the sequence that worked for me...

Wipe the phone w/ jl_cmdr, get a 507 error
    Install OS 4.2 from carrier w/ vendor.xml intact
    Uninstall 4.2 from PC
    Install 4.5 to PC
    Delete vendor.xml
    Reboot PC & pull battery on phone
    Install OS 4.5
    Use jl_cmdr to resettofactory
    Uninstall 4.5 from PC
    Uninstall DM from PC
    Reboot PC
    Install DM to PC
    Install OS 4.2 to PC
    Reboot PC & pull battery from phone
    Downgrade to OS 4.2

about 2.5 hours for this sequence, but it's all gone.

ETA: I could not just skip to loading OS 4.5 after wiping the device, it wouldn't load 4.5 no matter what I did. I had to load the 4.2 OS first.
    07-27-08 04:02 PM
    newbie question:

how do you find out what OS you have on your BB?

and where do you get the proper OS to load for the wipe process and then after?

thanks!!
    07-28-08 01:54 PM
    I could use a little help on this. It's quite possible that what I want to do isn't possible...but thought you all would know for sure.

I have a bb curve 8330 with US Cellular. I use it mainly for work, but don't want all the restrictions on it that comes with BES.

I followed all the steps here and was successful at wiping it and having a blank IT policy and no firewall on it -- and I then restored several things to it so I would have my settings back -- worked VERY well I then installed the various apps that I wanted (like BB messenger, Jivetalk, google maps, etc.).

Then I got to work and plugged it into my laptop with DM and it loaded the BES stuff which re-enabled the firewall and over-wrote the IT policy So now I have it doing a wireless sync of email, contacts and calendar again -- which is GREAT -- but now all my apps are restricted -- can't even start google maps or yahoo, etc. (however since I was already logged into MSN -- that is still running -- but as soon as I log out it will restrict it).

so -- here is the question. How can I have my cake and eat it too? Can I re-wipe my device...get it back to where I want it AND...AND have wireless syncing of my email. calendar and contacts??

Can I use MS OWA to get to my email and calendar remotely (not on browser). There was a way with MS Mobile devices to wireless sync with the OWA server -- can you do that with bb?

thanks for the help!!
    07-29-08 10:47 AM
    Leave well enough alone. IT policies are in place for a reason. You can keep wiping it as many times as you like but as long as you are connected to a BES and reconnect your BB the IT policy and any firewall restrictions will be automatically pushed to your phone. Some companies will reprimand and/or terminate employees who choose to tamper w/ an IT policy.

07-29-08 10:18 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD