I'm in the process of trying to update my software on my Curve 8900, and I've read many threads where it says I should delete the vendor.xml file. I'm having trouble locating it because I don't have the folder "Research In Motion" where the file is suppose to be - am I missing a download or somthing?

Thanks!
    07-31-10 03:32 PM
    you might need to run Desktop Manager.
    07-31-10 03:48 PM
    you might need to run Desktop Manager.
    I have Desktop Manager downloaded already, is there something else I need to download?
    07-31-10 03:52 PM
    Sorry I can't be of more help. I had my Tour for a few months before I got up the courage to install any leaked OS's, but the RIM folder was there. Start>Computer>Local Disc (C>Program Files>Common Files>Research In Motion>AppLoader
    07-31-10 04:03 PM
    Did you load the OS that you want on the phone to your computer. You need to download the OS and then run the exe file. It will extract the contents to the proper folder and then you should be able to find the vendor file.
    07-31-10 04:03 PM
    Did you load the OS that you want on the phone to your computer. You need to download the OS and then run the exe file. It will extract the contents to the proper folder and then you should be able to find the vendor file.
    Oh, I think that might be the problem - where do I download the OS from?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-31-10 04:05 PM
    Here is where you can get the newest OS for your device. http://forums.crackberry.com/f100/la...chison-504796/
    Once you have it downloaded you will need to double click it to install it on your pc. Then go to C:/program files/common files/Research in motion/appLoader and scroll to bottom. Delete vendor.xml file. Then scroll back up in the same folder and start Loader.exe. Follow the prompts to completion. I highly recommend you back up your device before just in case

07-31-10 04:49 PM
    I dowloaded onto my computer and i still don't have the Research in Motion folder in common files...is there anywhere else this could be, or am i doing something wrong?
    08-01-10 05:13 PM
    Did you INSTALL the device OS to your computer by RUNNING the .EXE file?

Just do a global search on your computer in ALL the folders.
    08-01-10 05:16 PM
    Okay,so i found the RIM folder, but i dont see AppLoader
    08-01-10 05:18 PM
    On your computer go to the search function and type vendor.xml

Make sure you search your entire C dive.

08-01-10 05:39 PM
    i've done that, and no luck - there is no AppLoader on my computer, do I need to download that?
    08-01-10 06:29 PM
    i've done that, and no luck - there is no AppLoader on my computer, do I need to download that?
    If you installed the OS on your computer it has to be there. Go to your Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs. Is the OS listed there? If not install it and then the loaded file and vendor.xml will be there.
    08-01-10 06:34 PM
    It shows up then, I have clearly downloaded it , but I can't find the vendor file for the life of me
    08-01-10 06:49 PM
    Make sure that you are searching for hidden files as well.
    08-01-10 06:59 PM
    Damn, still nothing is showing...
    Can someone walk to through all the steps to installing the OS right from the start so I can check if i've missed something?
    What program does the AppLoader come with when you download?

Btw, thanks everyone for helping!
    08-01-10 09:30 PM
    It shows up then, I have clearly downloaded it , but I can't find the vendor file for the life of me
    are you selecting "all files" instead of programs?
    08-01-10 09:34 PM
    yeah, there is no AppLoader at all in the place it should be :|
    08-01-10 09:46 PM
    You did run the OS program on your computer? You downloaded it and then ran it on the computer. Could that OS not be a complete package?
    08-01-10 10:46 PM
    yeah, there is no AppLoader at all in the place it should be :|
    There is no apploader in

C:/Program Files:/Common Files:/Research In Motion ?
    08-02-10 07:25 AM
    One other thing to check...

Assuming that you are running Windows on your PC, is it the 64-bit version or 32-bit version?

If it's the 64-bit version, then the files you are looking for will not be in the "C:\Program Files\", but in the "C:\Program Files (x86)\" folder.

Both folders have a "Common Files" sub-folder, but only the x86 folder (for 32-bit programs) will have the "Research In Motion" sub-folder.

That's all I can think of.
    08-02-10 07:59 AM
    One other thing to check...

Assuming that you are running Windows on your PC, is it the 64-bit version or 32-bit version?

If it's the 64-bit version, then the files you are looking for will not be in the "C:\Program Files\", but in the "C:\Program Files (x86)\" folder.

Both folders have a "Common Files" sub-folder, but only the x86 folder (for 32-bit programs) will have the "Research In Motion" sub-folder.

That's all I can think of.
    +1 although the OP wouldn't have found the RIM folder in the Common Files folder if he did have 64 bit which makes this that much more interesting.
    08-02-10 12:11 PM
    +1 although the OP wouldn't have found the RIM folder in the Common Files folder if he did have 64 bit which makes this that much more interesting.
    That's true, and I thought about that. I'm running XP 64 and don't have a RIM directory in Program Files at all either. But it's a shot in the dark. Perhaps a phantom RIM folder was created for the OP.

Of course, this all means nothing if the OP is in fact running 32 bit Windows.

08-02-10 04:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD