on my curve 8530 i cannot get the wifi to work on the phone.

When i scan for networks, it picks up the network quickly, and connects to it (I get the success message).

But the phone will not switch to using wifi, and i have wifi preferred selected. Any ideas why??
    07-22-10 08:29 PM
    If your device is sees the network and connects but doesn't stay connected, there may be a glitch with the router that can be solved by resetting it. First would be to power it down for a minute or two, then if it persists, hit the reset button on the back of the router.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-22-10 10:10 PM
    i tried both, powering the router down for a while, and also resetting it. phone will still not switch to WIFI coverage.
    07-23-10 11:35 AM
    When you scanned and found your router, did you save it? If not, try that and see if it makes a difference. Also, just for SAG, change your default browser (in properties) to hotspot and see what happens when you try to browse. Also, if you have more than one router saved in the same environment, delete all but the one you really want to connect to.
    Last edited by RegE; 07-23-10 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Addendum
    07-23-10 12:35 PM
    Problems with Netgear routers, also what type of security do you have setup. Mine, Belkin, uses Wap 2 preshared key with mac address exceptions.
    07-23-10 12:46 PM
    awesome tip
    07-23-10 12:57 PM
    i use WEP security
    07-23-10 02:39 PM
    Runner 23 -Did you try the suggestions in #4?
    07-23-10 03:11 PM
    i dont have data package, i only use it for making calls. Its worked just fine w other networks. The network is saved, and all other profiles are deleted, so i dont know whats causing it to not use the wifi.
    07-23-10 03:15 PM
    Internet browser uses BIS. If you don't have data, you can't access the internet, even with Wi-fi. If you switch to hotspot browser, you should be good. With hotspot, your router is the only conduit between your BB and the web.

07-23-10 03:33 PM
    i dont want it for accessing internet, only for making calls via wifi, since normal cell coverage is a bit shotty where i live.
    07-23-10 04:16 PM
    I don't think you can make calls via wifi, unless you have a provider like Sprint who offer that as a service. Even then, I assume that you need a data plan for it to work.
    07-23-10 04:21 PM
    I don't know about making calls. You'd better check into that Wi-fi/voice-call thing. I do know: No data, no BIS. No BIS, no [internet browser] Wi-fi. Without BIS, if you want ANY kind of Wi-fi service, you'll need to be on hotspot.

07-23-10 05:02 PM
    yep, you can make calls. I did that at my old place with the same phone/provider, but different router. Worked very well.
    07-23-10 07:12 PM
    Only networks that offer UMA calling will let you make calls over WiFi. TMobile is one, I'm not sure about your provider.

07-23-10 10:40 PM
    yes, i have TMobile, among other things for that reason.
    07-23-10 11:29 PM
    I can't get past the WEP kep.. Do u really have to have a password for connecting the wifi? I'm surprized anyone can get this to work if that's the case. "I'm driving down the road and have no signal but low and behold the hotel I pull into for a minute offers free wi-fi. Now unless I go rent a room they aren't going to give me their WEP key so how does one connect while hitting different wi-fi spots with out getting the WEP every single time?"

07-23-10 11:35 PM
    ...Do u really have to have a password for connecting the wifi? ..."I'm driving down the road and have no signal but low and behold the hotel I pull into for a minute offers free wi-fi. Now unless I go rent a room they aren't going to give me their WEP key so how does one connect while hitting different wi-fi spots with out getting the WEP every single time?"
    If the network you're trying to access is secure, you need a password. If it is not secure, you can just jump on. Even some free hotspots have a password that they change daily. If you access frequent networks, e.g., home, office or coffee shop, you can save the profile and you won't have to enter the password again.
    07-23-10 11:47 PM
    CherryJuice - yup. There are different FREE wifi arrangements. Some a free and you just log in and use them - there's one I use and when I connect I am greeted with a screen and disclaimer - it is unsecured and data may be similarl unsecured. You have to agree and you are on.

I've been to a coffee shop and you are just ON. And I"ve been to a restaurant where there is a password of the day (like the soup of the day) and you have to ask the waitperson for the password.

And when we were in Arizona in April, the motel had "free" wifi for patrons and at the front desk they told you the password.

Wifi is not absolutely free to all comers.
    07-23-10 11:50 PM
    I see thank you for clearing that up.. I guess I haven't been fortunate enuff to hit a spot where I can just jump on.. But I'm looking forward to finding one just so I csn finally use this feature.

07-24-10 12:10 AM
    so, i DO have tMobile, so the calling should work fine with WIFI, but it just doesnt connect to, despite getting a successful connection when setting it up
    07-24-10 12:32 AM
    can anyone help me figure out why it wont connect to the router, i have tmobile, so UMA calling should work just fine, and phone works with wifi on different networks.
    07-24-10 05:25 PM
    Found a couple interesting threads that cover your issue here: http://forums.crackberry.com/f65/

07-25-10 01:57 AM
    Runner, I'm leaning toward your problem being with your router and not your device - or at least that they might not work well together. One other thing to try is to turn your security off and see if you can maintain a connection. I have been using a linksys wrt54g router for a couple years now without any problem - and with 3 different devices, 8320, 8900 and a 9700.

07-25-10 11:13 AM
    This thread has some good info:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/comp...ifi-how-47229/

07-25-10 11:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD