Good morning/afternoon/evening,

I apologize in advance if I have rehashed this topic. I have looked over the forums and not really gotten the answer I was looking for. Either way, my mistake if I am offside.

My girlfriend presently lives in Brazil (Rio to be exact) and we have come to the decision to purchase Blackberrys for BBM. I have used a Blackberry before and I love it so I know this is a great idea. However, she came back to me today and advised me that Blackberrys in Brazil are quite expensive and it would it quite a bit cheaper to just buy one from here and send it over to her.

Now, before I do something stupid (as I have made a similiar mistake years ago) I just wanted to touch base with all the pros and masters on Crackberry. My understanding is that if I get the phone, say from Rogers, and then get it unlocked, presumably all she would need on her end is pop her SIM card out of her TIM Brazil phone (where she has a contract) and pop it into her new Canadian Unlocked Blackberry....and away she should go with data and all the trimmings. In theory. As long as its a world phone (she and I are looking at the 9800 or 9780).

Unless I am totally wrong. If so...please take me to school. Thank you in advance for any assistance rendered. She and I would appreciate it.
    01-24-11 09:49 PM
    GSM World Coverage Map- GSM Country List by frequency bands

Take a look here and you'll then be able to make a smart decision. Then she won't be complaining about not getting any '3G'

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Hercio likes this.
    01-24-11 09:55 PM
    A couple of points:
    If TIM Brazil is GSM then you are correct, just popping in her SIM card will turn an unlocked GSM Blackberry into "her phone" on TIM Brazil.

HOWEVER
    Most carriers require a Blackberry specific data plan in order to use things like BBM and BES/BIS, so your GF would probably have to add that to her plan.
    Also if you want a 3G 'Berry and want to get 3G speeds then you will need to get a 3G phone that will operate at the same frequencies that TIM Brazil uses.
    Hercio likes this.
    01-24-11 10:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD