My company is sending me to Sweden tomorrow.

My Storm is currently NOT covered by the company.

Telus says $8/mb overseas. AHHH!!!

I nnnneeeeeed access to DATA for emails and SMS.... I can do without making calls.

Anyone have any suggestions to enable data on the cheap? Provide me a solution and i will seriously buy you a souvenier from Stockholm.

PS. I am only there 5 days, so buying service in Sweden is not in the cards.

Thanks everyone.
    03-23-09 08:56 AM
    Actually buying service may not be as difficult as you are thinking. Many places in Europe sell cheap pay as you go SIMs that should work for you. It's certainly worthwhile looking in to.
    03-23-09 08:59 AM
    I was told that I was unable to purchase SIMs as i would need to "unlock" my Storm.

If what you're saying is true, i will have to look more into that and line up a little trinket for you! : )

Can anyone provide more information on this?

Thank you.
    03-23-09 10:46 AM
    Yea you would need to unlock it, but that shouldn't be too hard. If you call Telus tell them you are traveling internationally and you would like to use your own SIM while in Europe. I'm not sure how good Telus is about it, BUT Verizon is very good as long as you are a customer in good standing for at least 2 months. Unlocking your phone will not harm it in any way.

EDIT: I'm not sure if you are a hockey fan, BUT the Swedish "Elisterien" playoffs are happening right now, maybe you'll get to check out a game if you are in the right city at the right time.
    03-23-09 11:00 AM
    My company is sending me to Sweden tomorrow.

My Storm is currently NOT covered by the company.

Telus says $8/mb overseas. AHHH!!!

I nnnneeeeeed access to DATA for emails and SMS.... I can do without making calls.

Anyone have any suggestions to enable data on the cheap? Provide me a solution and i will seriously buy you a souvenier from Stockholm.

PS. I am only there 5 days, so buying service in Sweden is not in the cards.

Thanks everyone.
    The root problem is, there is no CDMA service in Europe. You don't have to worry about the data charges, your BlackBerry will not find a carrier.

Swap phones with a friend on Rogers (GSM), then you can worry about the data charges.

edit:

Wireless Networks

UMTS/HSPA: 2100 MHz
    North America: 850 MHz GSM�/GPRS networks
    North America: 1900MHz GSM/GPRS networks
    Europe/Asia Pacific: 1800MHz GSM/GPRS networks
    Europe/Asia Pacific: 900MHz GSM/GPRS networks
    Dual-Band: 800/1900 MHz CDMA/Ev-DO networks ...
    I stand corrected, you can use GSM service with that model.
    03-23-09 11:14 AM
    The root problem is, there is no CDMA service in Europe. You don't have to worry about the data charges, your BlackBerry will not find a carrier.

Swap phones with a friend on Rogers (GSM), then you can worry about the data charges.
    Hes running a storm though...
    03-23-09 11:15 AM
    I called telus back again, and they apologized for all the wrong answers/quotes i was given

IT"S ACTUALLY $52 / MB !!!!!!!! WTF!

Arbitrary prices for airwaves....awesome.
    03-23-09 12:40 PM
    Gotta love Telus.. oh wait, no we don't
    03-23-09 12:59 PM
    Yeah if you could it unlocked you'd be fine. Not sure how Telus is, but Im not sure anyone with Bell has managed to get one unlocked.
    03-23-09 01:20 PM
    I'm so eating the cancellation fee and going to Rogers.

Who cares if they're more $ as of now; You can actually use their phones, reasonably at that, overseas.

(with WIFI to boot! )

**** you Telus!!! Seriously, you lost a 12 year customer @ $80+ a month because you have no understanding of the product you sell... and in this province, YOU ONLY SELL ONE THING! (Oi, they day competence reigns supreme....)
    03-23-09 01:25 PM
    Actually buying service may not be as difficult as you are thinking. Many places in Europe sell cheap pay as you go SIMs that should work for you. It's certainly worthwhile looking in to.
    It is easy to find prepay voice and "dumbphone data" in europe, but almost impossible to find one which offers BB service. (There might be one or two providers but probably in the wrong country. BB data needs a contract SIM, which implies credit checks and often at least 12 month commitment.

Does your Storm have WiFi? Noting the insane ripoff rates from Telus I think that hitting the hotel or public hotspots might be the only economic solution to BB data.
    03-23-09 05:32 PM
    ^^^ Thank you.

What's hilarious is: I have to visit the parent company to do some training. They're providing laptops...i can't bring mine.

That means i can't use my laptop to work while I learn about boring new software i already know how to use.... (probably their intention).

Conveniently, my Storm does everything my laptop can (as far as staying in touch with my work) . . . but that's shut down too.

...Oi, paying attention... Mentally expensive.
    03-23-09 06:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD