If you are in Canada and had enough of price fixing by the big 3, please help us by joining the petition at: Stop The Cell Phone Squeeze | OpenMedia.ca

Message will be sent to:
    Industry Minister Christian Paradis
    Prime Minister Stephen Harper

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4nV6K3OKRc[/YT]

NOTE: I have nothing to do with petition. I am just spreading the word. In Canada, we just stand there and do nothing.... we are stupid.
    Last edited by mss-ca; 02-07-12 at 11:16 AM.
    02-07-12 10:14 AM
    Ya i have heard of some insane wireless phone bills and I do agree it is crazy but some of it is caused by the users lack of knowledge. Most times they have no idea about extra charges and roaming and data use, it's sick.

I'm signing and so should every other Canadian!
    02-07-12 07:12 PM
    As an employee of Bell Canada I'm signing! Lol. (I work in engineering, nothing to do with sales / prices set) the rather lame excuse given and used most of the time is that there is a lot more land to cover with only a fraction on the population of the US which means you need more towers, have to lay more fiber and possibly remote switches in some areas. All which costs money and raises prices. But really, after our GSM 3G network was in place most of the groundwork for upgrading to LTE shouldn't be near as costly as moving to gsm/3g. However they're not going to pass any savings on to the consumer.

My biggest gripe is the THREE year contracts for subsidized phones. I wish it was 2 like the US. You can technically upgrade after 2 but for a fee and another 3 year contract.

For the record I get no discount on hardware but a discount on services.
    Last edited by SnoozerBold; 02-07-12 at 08:34 PM.
    02-07-12 07:25 PM
    Signed!

Thanks OP for spreading the word.
    02-07-12 08:11 PM
    As an employee of Bell Canada I'm signing! Lol. (I work in engineering, nothing to do with sales / prices set) the rather lame excuse given and used most of the time is that there is a lot more land to cover with only a fraction on the population of the US which means you need more towers, have to lay more fiber and possibly remote switches in some areas. All which costs money and raises prices. But really, after our GSM 3G network was in place most of the groundwork for upgrading to LTE shouldn't be near as costly as moving to gsm/3g. However they're not going to pass any savings on to the consumer.

My biggest gripe is the THREE year contracts for subsidized phones. I wish it was 2 like the US. You can technically upgrade after 2 but for a fee and another 3 year contract.

For the record I get no discount on hardware but a discount on services.
    My parents used to be engineers for communication industry in several different countries. My mom was a satellite engineer and my dad was a cable systems engineer. The these companies charge a lot not to keep the network running or pay their engineers or other workers, but to keep the CEO and the board members families rich. That's what p-i-s-s me off so bad.
    02-08-12 07:34 AM
    Signed!

Thanks OP for spreading the word.
    You are welcome.
    02-08-12 07:35 AM
    Are the BlackBerry plans more expensive here than the USA? I got the impression that some of us pay less than across the border. For example, the student BlackBerry Plans.
    02-08-12 07:39 AM
    I signed and I live in the French territories of the Affars and Issas.
    02-08-12 07:39 AM
    Are the BlackBerry plans more expensive here than the USA? I got the impression that some of us pay less than across the border. For example, the student BlackBerry Plans.
    I'll only use T-Mobile as an example..as that's the only one in the States i'm familiar with (I use their SIM card when travelling). I can get unlimited talk/text, and data for about $70-80/month. The unlimited talk includes nation wide calling..so basically no long distance charges.

Here in Canada..I'm paying around $150/month, for about 3000mins (which includes long distance), unlimited text, and 6GB of data. I've been a long time Telus customer, so my plan is actually a pretty good one in comparison to some i've heard about..but we're still paying basically double from our American counterparts.
    02-08-12 07:50 AM
    Petitions are nice and everything (and I'll sign as well) but there's only one real effective way to send them a message - don't give them your money. Nothing is effective as voting with your wallet.
    02-08-12 08:04 AM
    Petitions are nice and everything (and I'll sign as well) but there's only one real effective way to send them a message - don't give them your money. Nothing is effective as voting with your wallet.
    True..but i'm finding it harder and harder these days to find people who still use tin cans and string to communicate when out and about. And smoke signalling has been outlawed in parts of Canada now due to them "darned environmentalists"

We actually have no other choices if you want a cellphone. There are smaller companies like Koodo, Virgin etc, but they are just subsidiaries of the larger ones. So no matter who you use, you're feeding the big 3 in one way or another.
    voltaire likes this.
    02-08-12 08:08 AM
    True..but i'm finding it harder and harder these days to find people who still use tin cans and string to communicate when out and about. And smoke signalling has been outlawed in parts of Canada now due to them "darned environmentalists"

We actually have no other choices if you want a cellphone. There are smaller companies like Koodo, Virgin etc, but they are just subsidiaries of the larger ones. So no matter who you use, you're feeding the big 3 in one way or another.
    I heard signing up to a US carrier is still cheaper than some plans here. That would probably be the best way to lower prices.

I heard in the news today that a commission is being set up to study the price discrepancies between the US and Canada for various consumer goods. Even though the CAD is practically at par we're still paying significantly more. Well, we know where that study is headed. But its the same thing....if enough people start shopping in the US, retailers will be forced to lower prices here.
    02-08-12 08:20 AM
    Just a note to anyone who signs the petition. They are also a shill for the Liberal party and you WILL get spammed.

PS the liberals wouldnt change anything they had 10+ years and the same increase in $$ happened.
    02-08-12 08:21 AM
    The newer ones like Wind and Public mobile are on their own. Of course they have bad reception in some areas due to a lack of towers.

I pay $65 a month (before discount ) for 1gb of data, unlimeted SMS and MMS. 200 anytime mins and fab 10 which is 10 numbers anywhere in Canada I can call for free. I hardly use my phone as a phone so fab 10 does me fine and for as much as I'm on my bb I've never gotten close to 1gb of data.
    Still it's damn expensive.
    02-08-12 08:25 AM
    I heard signing up to a US carrier is still cheaper than some plans here. That would probably be the best way to lower prices.
    Trust me, i've considered it. But because it's an American phone provider, we'd either have to pay more for "roaming" data, as well as pay International rates for phone calls. Not to mention you'd then need an American phone number. To me (and many others I imagine) it wouldn't be worth the hassle of a new number, or forwarding your old number to the new american one, as well as paying all the extra international charges etc..to save what at this point would maybe $20-$30/month.

I've heard of rumours of T-Mobile trying to expand into Canada..but the big 3 have the governments balls in a vice I think, and i'm sure they lobby pretty hard to keep the American companies out.
    02-08-12 08:27 AM
    Please push our Canadian government to stop bending over to lobby groups and open the wireless market for everyone.
    02-14-12 06:37 PM
    You people should consider switching to Wind. Best move i made in last 8 years.
    With Wind you get little less coverage area but if you are smart with it you will save a lot of money and if there is enough of us it will force big 3 to drop prices down. I got 40$ everything unlimited plan and it stays that way as long as I don't change it. Wind is an investment.
    02-14-12 10:10 PM
    Mobilicity or wind. Give them a try. I'm paying $33 per month unlimited call Canada - USA and unlimited global txt. Also includes unlimited data and free voicemail and call display. That included tax already.
    02-14-12 10:43 PM
    Had a friend who used to work for RIM originally from the States. His personal phone had a USA number and he told me it was cheaper to get US/CA voice&txt services with a USA provider than with a CA provider.

If you're with Rogers, you can usually wrestle a better deal with them by asking for the retention department over the phone immediately.

I was paying $70 (incl tax) /mth until I called them and asked for a better plan. Down to $55/mth. Then a friend had a friend who worked at Rogers made my plan even better for a lower price at $43/mth. They have better deals, you kinda have to pry it from their greedy clenched claws.

Since I gave my old unlocked Rogers 9800 to my brother, we were considering WIND but their system is on a different frequency that makes it useless! And Koodo is compatible but still costs $35+tax/mth to get any BlackBerry service (Basic plan with unlimited evenings is $25, plus $10 for cheapest BB add-on).

When I was living in Germany, I was paying 5€ for basic voice plan and 10€ for BIS and data. 15€/mth unless I went over my 50 minutes.

As far as I'm concerned, they're all damn rip-offs.
    02-14-12 10:49 PM
    I am also on wind, LOVE it, unlimited data+text+voice across canada. only $29 a month( i got it when there was promotion), regular is $45 a month. If you live in big hubs the reception should be fine ( i am in edmonton right now and also get full bars or 1 bar off).

my old plan was with fidos, after tax and a mysterious $2 fee, its $32 a month, and i only get 50 min+50 text with BB services. what a ripoff.

really, consider switching to wind and dont forget to tell whichever big3 you are with, that they are a bunch of blood sucking ticks and are totally disgusting
    02-14-12 11:39 PM
    im all for sending a message to the big 3.
    02-14-12 11:45 PM
    I was thinking of switching to Wind two summers ago but they were just starting.

I have two years left on my contract (Aug 2013) and an iPhone so I cant make the switch now, but I will most likely switch when it is up, or at least close to up.

Right now I have 200 minutes w Fab10 and 500mb on a 3 yr Bell contract paying $74 total.

Last edited by FSeverino; 02-15-12 at 01:38 AM.
    02-15-12 01:02 AM
    I was thinking of switching to RIM two summers ago but they were just starting.

I have two years left on my contract (Aug 2013) and an iPhone so I cant make the switch now, but I will most likely switch when it is up, or at least close to up.

Right now I have 200 minutes w Fab10 and 500mb on a 3 yr Bell contract paying $74 total.

You mean wind or rim?
    02-15-12 01:08 AM
    Wind... lol
    fixed.

But, it would have been a BB phone, so i guess BOTH.

If i do change it will be when WIND gets the BB10... even if i have to pay a cancellation fee
    02-15-12 01:39 AM
    OMG YES!!!

signed up!

united states customers have crazy (good) plans! you can get just about unlimited everything for like $50. In Canada if you want anything close to unlimited it will cost you $590 per month!!

im thankful for wind/mobilicity/chatr/fido

its crazy man...
    02-15-12 02:14 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD