I live in a Canadian border town so we usually go shopping to the the other side to take advantage of the cheaper prices (specially gas!).

Yesterday my wife and I crossed the border searching for a pre paid sim card for her Bold 9900 as she will be travelling to the US for over a week and wanted to save some cash in long distance charges. Our first choice was to get a T-MOBILE sim card and use the pay per day plans, but only Staples carries TM in this town (no carrier stores).

Long story short, we ended up at the local mall where Sprint, AT&T and Verizon have stores. And then the sad truth came up. Only Verizon had a fully functioning Z10 on display along with the GSIV and other phone. AT&T and Sprint was all about the iPhone. Now when you compare that to my local Canadian mall where Telus, Bell, Koodo, Rogers, Fido and two cellphone stores have BlackBerry all over you can tell where their efforts are.

I wish American carriers put a little more work in promoting the brand.

Oh and we were not able to get a sim card for the bold. They actually game looks like I was a ghost from the past asking for items that only belonged in a museum...

Posted via CB10
    07-10-13 03:29 PM
    Well did you expect a Canadian company to heavily promote other companies? I feel that Canada is proud of how BB changed the world in its heyday and would put more resources into it from a carrier standpoint. Just my guess.
    07-10-13 03:53 PM
    I live in a Canadian border town so we usually go shopping to the the other side to take advantage of the cheaper prices (specially gas!).

Yesterday my wife and I crossed the border searching for a pre paid sim card for her Bold 9900 as she will be travelling to the US for over a week and wanted to save some cash in long distance charges. Our first choice was to get a T-MOBILE sim card and use the pay per day plans, but only Staples carries TM in this town (no carrier stores).

Long story short, we ended up at the local mall where Sprint, AT&T and Verizon have stores. And then the sad truth came up. Only Verizon had a fully functioning Z10 on display along with the GSIV and other phone. AT&T and Sprint was all about the iPhone. Now when you compare that to my local Canadian mall where Telus, Bell, Koodo, Rogers, Fido and two cellphone stores have BlackBerry all over you can tell where their efforts are.

I wish American carriers put a little more work in promoting the brand.

Oh and we were not able to get a sim card for the bold. They actually game looks like I was a ghost from the past asking for items that only belonged in a museum...

Posted via CB10
    The question is were they corporate stores or just authorized re-sellers - very hard to tell. In my area all of the Mall stores are just re-sellers.

I've found that many of the re-sellers don't carry BB devices of any type. Don't know if that has something to do with most BlackBerry's these days are sold to corporate accounts?? Or is it that they get to decided what devices they want to carry? Either way, in my local area it isn't good for BB - with only one corporate store and a half dozen re-sellers... BB isn't getting much attention. For that matter some of the other major re-sellers like Walmart and Sam's Club don't have them either in the store.... not sure about online.
    07-10-13 04:00 PM
    Resellers and retailers sell what people ask for. So "sell" is really not the correct word. Fulfill would be more accurate.
    Any selling would involve advising you what most people are buying or suggesting you buy what they happen to have in inventory, which of course is what most people are buying.
    Resellers only care that you buy something. Expecting them to invest energy to sell something that nobody is asking about and that they don't have in inventory is a stretch indeed.
    07-10-13 04:26 PM