I always wanted a blackberry every since I was a kid, and as a grew up and technology began changing our world of computing, I began to see that Blackberry's were the best way to go. From emails to word documents and spreadsheets, these devices can do it all. So why do we need laptops to carry around, when the devices made with full keyboards are doing the job faster and easier than it predecessors. Can we really use our blackberry's, including the Playbook, as our primary computer? Yes or No & why? Of course our answers will differ based on what we use computers for......I say YES, because for me, I am not a computer programer, but I do write documents all the time on my blackberry.
    07-22-12 02:13 AM
    No.

I would not be able to or even try to use my PB or my BB in place of my PC or laptop.

The BB phone is not made for that.

The PB does not have the apps to do it and can't even print!

Tim

Tim
    redsaint316 likes this.
    07-22-12 02:17 AM
    Define primary computing device.
    No. The current BlackBerrys and the PlayBook with the current OS (I'm running the 2.1 beta) can't be used as primary computer.
    It's true, i hardly use the desktop writing Mails, I've written papers on my bold, but when it comes to designing the output, there's no chance to do that even with the PlayBook. Docs To Go is a mess. Did you see the presentation of ofiice 15? I was shocked! let's hope for a new, advanced Docs To Go when BB10 hits the market.
    BTW, yes, I hardly use my Laptop since I've got my PlayBook.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9790 using the CrackBerry forum app
    redsaint316 likes this.
    07-22-12 02:28 AM
    If there was a way to upload photos from my camera memory cards to the PlayBook, I'm pretty sure I could ditch the laptop. Oh, and better PDF support would be necessary as well.

But I'm not a "power user," so it's easy for me to say this, and I fully acknowledge that my computing needs are probably considerably less than your average CrackBerry member.
    redsaint316 likes this.
    07-22-12 02:37 AM
    Screen is too small.
    07-22-12 03:26 AM
    For internet browsing my 9860 is quick but not as fast as my laptop and with the laptop its just easier to deal with full sites rather than the mobile sites you get with the phone.

Also for videos its a smaller screen and I want that physical keyboard. As such while its a nice thought and I don't carry my laptop with me anymore, I don't think I could fully replace it with my BlackBerry.
    07-22-12 08:17 AM
    Nope, the BlackBerry can't be my primary computing device, UNLESS I could get a docking station that allowed me to
    - Plug into my Business Card Scanner CardScan is better than ANY camera business card scanner on smartphones both iOS and BB
    - RUN FULL office with pivot tables and background animations in powerpoit
    - RIP DVD's and BluRays for portable consumption
    - RUN split screen [WindowsKey] [right arrow] and [WindowsKey] [left arrow] are my most used windows short cuts
    07-22-12 08:30 AM
    Nope. The screen is to small.

How was writing documents on the playbook? I have been TDY for the past three weeks and have noticed that my IPAD, with the larger display, was horrible for writing 10-15 page reports (with charts) the course required. Recently I purchased a new macbook pro (love it) and decided to bring it with me. Having that made things much easier and overall a better experience.
    07-22-12 09:14 AM
    My laptop was stolen the week after I bought my PlayBook, and I decided to see if I could do with just the PB. Well, a year later I haven't replaced the laptop, but my desktop is getting a bit more use than when I had the laptop.

I do accounting and invoicing on the desktop, the PB is not sufficiently functional for that. Also, any document that needs to be saved as a pdf has to be done on the desktop. Autocad drawings can't be viewed on a PB, and I can't create or edit documents with embedded graphics. For everything else the PB is great.
    07-22-12 10:15 AM
    Primary no, laptop always better. But secondary yes... I have got out of a lot of trouble using my Torch 9810 and I know other phones would have struggled. Emailing multiple contacts, multiple attachments, and downloads of any file type gathered from the web and stored anywhere on my phone memory or SD Card when I needed it. Photo taking and editing, easily posting to Facebook/Twitter and other upload sites.

For browsing and commenting on forums, complete with photos, can do it all using Blackberry. Example... Took photo on phone, upload to tinypic.com and then linked the image to my forum posting, which I also did directly from the phone. In fact, here is an example now:

My tomatoes!

While this is more for play, it has helped with business and so I can rely on my phone to do what I need!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    07-22-12 10:17 AM
    I have tried to use the playbook/logmein as a substitute for my laptop while traveling but it just doesn't work out. Too many things I find difficult if not impossible to do still even with the great logmein interface and I absolutely must be able to work with my office desktop.
    07-22-12 10:37 AM
    No PlayBook doesn't have enough storage, power, or applications to be a primary computer device. With that being said neither is the ipad, the Microsoft device, kindle, nook, DROID, galaxy, or any other tablet in known existence.
    Of course someone will disagree with me because they sideload something connected to something else that is routed through this and that.
    07-22-12 10:48 AM
    I would say yes except that it is not Flash enabled. The PlayBook is different though and I find myself using it more than my laptop. I would definitely be able to use that as a primary computing device. But whoever said the PB can't print....yes it can.
    07-22-12 10:55 AM
    No. Why would I even try when I have many PCs and laptops at my disposal. When it comes to the broadest sense of personal computing (including transacting business online, productivity, etc.) a Windows PC is still king.
    07-22-12 11:09 AM
    If all you do is browse the web and send email on your laptop then sure a playbook could replace your laptop. but when you get into other things like photo editing and document creation the laptop/desktop cant be beat IMO
    07-22-12 11:18 AM
    No it can't. My BlackBerry is fine for emails and my tablets are fine for browsing or running apps. But they lack the ability to add peripherals (ie. blu-ray drive) and the raw horsepower and storage of desktop or notebook computers.
    07-22-12 11:23 AM
    As has been stated, if your computing needs are very basic then yes, you probably can use your phone as your primary source of computing.

If however you are like a great many of us you and have needs that go well beyond the basics (in my case, large documents, multi-page {in excess of 30 pages} spreadsheets, editable PDFs, etc....) you will find that a smartphone, and that is ANY smartphone is not up to the task.

The way I tend to think of these things is in terms of appropriateness. Yes, you can use the heel of your shoe to bang a tack into the wall BUT the best and most appropriate tool to use would be a hammer.
    07-22-12 12:48 PM
    For what I do with it, the PlayBook BlackBerry Bold is my primary computing combo. If I did a lot of printing as some have mentioned above or needed software that's not available for either then no.

Dang I just noticed with this post I became a CrackBerry Addict
    Hooray for addictions!
    Last edited by axllebeer; 07-22-12 at 02:57 PM. Reason: just became an addict :)
    07-22-12 02:53 PM
    No I use applications that won't run on the Blackberry smartphone. Let alone on the PlayBook.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    07-22-12 03:05 PM
    I use my PB constantly and 99% of the time.

But occasionally I need to print, use a dvd, Skype and attach an Internet stick for wifi (needs windows). So the laptop unfortunately is still required.
    07-22-12 03:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD