Blackberry motion and andriod
    12-05-17 10:58 AM
    It's as much an Android phone as any other Android phone, so yes, Facebook works. No hacks or workarounds needed.
    12-05-17 11:03 AM
    I end up just using the Web version of Facebook on my keyone
    12-05-17 11:13 AM
    I end up just using the Web version of Facebook on my keyone
    This. I genuinely dislike having the app installed at all, much rather just open a browser when I need it.
    12-05-17 12:59 PM
    This. I genuinely dislike having the app installed at all, much rather just open a browser when I need it.
    Exactly. I know android and Google service already beam data to the mothership, but I'd rather limit it as much as possible. Especially with facebook.
    12-05-17 01:13 PM
    Exactly. I know android and Google service already beam data to the mothership, but I'd rather limit it as much as possible. Especially with facebook.
    Does using browser vs app really limit data mining by Google since browser is running on their OS??
    12-05-17 01:43 PM
    Why wouldn't it Chuck? The level of permissions and integration compared to a Web page is staggering to me. The reality of working google analytics on website traffic in respect to phones is a joke. Not much better with a computer but that requires google training and a massive amount of study and config to actually log the Web site usage to a point where it's gathering age, gender, what you ate for lunch.

Sent from one of my SE Passports using BB10 superior software.
    12-05-17 02:38 PM
    Does using browser vs app really limit data mining by Google since browser is running on their OS??
    It social media... why would anyone be worried about data mining?
    12-05-17 02:53 PM
    Blanket phenomenon. Hide under it and think the world isn't aware of you.

People must be having alot of one way conversations to think that your contacts aren't using all those apps and services.
    12-05-17 03:00 PM
    It social media... why would anyone be worried about data mining?
    With a browser, it's simply much easier to limit permissions and still use the Web site. It's a question of choosing what data you'd like to share and how easily the provider can integrate personal data with other information. With an app, all your activity is easy for the to correlate with other data through your mobile phone.

As a very simple example, I don't share my phone number or location data with Facebook. On my phone's Web browser, that information is not transmitted when I log on. With the app, I can turn.off location data, but my phone number is automatically provided.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    12-05-17 03:14 PM
    12-05-17 03:32 PM
    Why wouldn't it Chuck? The level of permissions and integration compared to a Web page is staggering to me. The reality of working google analytics on website traffic in respect to phones is a joke. Not much better with a computer but that requires google training and a massive amount of study and config to actually log the Web site usage to a point where it's gathering age, gender, what you ate for lunch.

Sent from one of my SE Passports using BB10 superior software.
    I ask the question because I'm not an IT person. I don't trust a browser any more than I trust apps. I use them all because I have to get things done. Trust one more than another though? No. There are much bigger places my private data is at risk though from hacking. IRS, SSI, Employers, Credit Bureaus and so on.....
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    12-05-17 03:46 PM
    I ask the question because I'm not an IT person. I don't trust a browser any more than I trust apps. I use them all because I have to get things done. Trust one more than another though? No. There are much bigger places my private data is at risk though from hacking. IRS, SSI, Employers, Credit Bureaus and so on.....
    Totally agree on the security front. The issue with apps and social networks is more of a privacy question than a security question, and there is no single right answer about how much private data someone "should" be comfortable sharing. I tend to not share more data than I absolutely have to, and I hate the free services for private data business terms because I believe my data is more valuable than the services I am being offered for it.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    12-05-17 04:13 PM
    Disregarding the security concerns listed above, I've found that Metal Pro is a much leaner app than the official Facebook app, and it doesn't have the battery drain issues the official one seems to have regularly. Plus, if it's your thing, you can also use it as your Twitter client.

Plus, Dark Theme!
    12-05-17 09:41 PM
    For web wrappers, Face Slim from F-Droid is probably a better bet there. As a FOSS app it's not or ever will be tied to Google services or other 3rd party analytics other than FB itself.
    12-05-17 09:54 PM