Hi All! FIrst post.

I have been using a Nokia E72 for a long time. I'm looking at BB devices - I would be ok with any model - but I have some features from my Nokia that I have grown accustomed to - and I am wondering if there is a BB device which offers the same. Here they are:

My Nokia E72 Does this:

On the keyboard - there is a dedicated button (press and hold) to switch between silent and normal profile.

On the keyboard there is a dedicated button (press and hold) to switch BLue Tooth on and off

On the keyboard - pressing and holding the spacebar will activate LED Flashlight

The LED ring around the trackpad pulses/glows 24/7 - allowing me to find the phone if I have misplaced it - or find at night

The LED ring around the trackpad will stop glowing and flash on/off every 5 seconds if there is a txt/call I have missed

GPS - my E72 has a DEDICATED GPS - so it doesn't need a data connection. MAPS software is loaded on the phone by Nokia - and you have a fully functioning GPS device without a data plan.

That's really it. Pretty simple stuff. I've never owned a BB device - and I just can't find in reviews of them about what I have asked. If someone could recomend if there is a BB that does those it would be great.

BTW - I don't use data on my phones, it is strictly for calling, text msg and maybe a few games while sitting in line, and the camera (doesn't need to be great). So I don't care about touchscreen, or screen size - BUT I do want a physical keyboard.

Thank you!
    Last edited by mcgilli; 08-30-13 at 02:24 PM.
    08-30-13 01:07 PM
    Welcome!

The only issue here you will find is the GPS on BB requires data one way or the other. So there is no dedicated off line maps so to speak.
    08-30-13 02:04 PM
    Welcome!

The only issue here you will find is the GPS on BB requires data one way or the other. So there is no dedicated off line maps so to speak.
    Thanks! I've crossed it out in my original post. I'll just kind of see what devices have what features I am looking for. thanks again!
    08-30-13 02:25 PM
    Dont know about the bluetooth toggle on the older models but since you mention keyboard shortcuts there are three BlackBerry id reccomend
    9900 most recent os7 flagship
    And my own personal favorite till it was destroyed (sheds tear) the 8900
    The z10 has many of those features ala andriod in a swipe down menu but again for a qwerty device those are the ones id reccomend.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-13 04:42 PM
    Some of the older BlackBerrys, such as the 9650 or 9900 have physical convenience keys on the side of the phone that you can set to do whatever you want them to do. Handy. There is a little dropdown menu accessible from the home screen to change your sound profile immediately. There are also free apps (such as eOffice flashlight) that activate the camera flash upon opening.

Your requirements are easily met. Just need to establish what carrier you are using and how much you want to spend on a device. Those two things will pretty much answer your question for you.
    08-30-13 06:01 PM
    One thing to remember: if you get a BlackBerry, it isn't a Nokia. The same thing goes when switching to any new platform.

The keyboard models (9900, Q10) normally have keyboard shortcuts that you can use. Some of the settings, like sound profiles and turning on/off bluetooth are on the status menu, which is just a swipe down from the top.

I chose Flashlight LED for using my Z10 as a flashlight. I click the icon and the light turns on. Click the button in the app and the light turns off. Very easy to use.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-13 10:42 PM
    I think a 9900 would be your best bet.

Sent from my Nexus 7
    Support your local paramedics run with scissor.
    08-31-13 01:12 AM
    Definitely a bold 9900 or a Curve 9320 for you. They come closest to meeting your requirements.
    BlackBerry 10 devices you should steer clear from as they are not what you are looking for.
    Only issue is no BlackBerry has the ring around the track pad light up.
    With a legacy device you can set the led to different colours for different things so that could replace the led ring for you?

Posted via CB10
    08-31-13 02:10 AM
    The convenience keys on the OS7 models will be what you are looking for, like the others have said. Additionally on any physical keyboard BlackBerry you can press and hold "Q" to switch between normal and vibrate profiles. I think that should also work on the Q10.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-13 02:40 AM
    I think it's still worth checking out the Q10 or Q5 devices, i use the swipe down from the top to toggle the bluetooth and sounds. Ok spotted you have crossed off the GPS but Mireo app is very good for offline.

Posted from my Z10 with CB10
    08-31-13 03:25 AM
    BB10 devices arent what you want. Unless 10.2 brings back keyboard shortcuts. I have the Q10 and hatee the useless search feature they have instead of shortcuts.

Go for the 9900. The ring around the trackpad isnt illuminated unless the screen is on. But the LED light does blink for new msgs.

Holding the Q key does activate silent (vibrate) mode.

There is a convenience key on the side that can be assigned to launch any application, including flashlight apps.

To turn on blutooth, you have a dropdown menu with the option to toggle on/off. It would take 2 taps on the screen, or some minor scrolling with the track pad and two clicks of the trackpad.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-13 03:42 AM
    There are lots of keyboard shortcuts on the Q10. Granted not Q for silent but I personally don't have a problem with the swipe down. I now use a Q10 in work and use the shortcuts a lot of the time, can get confusing when I switch to my own Z10 though See http://m.crackberry.com/full-list-bl...-q10-shortcuts

Posted from my Z10 with CB10
    08-31-13 03:48 AM
    Hi All! FIrst post.

I have been using a Nokia E72 for a long time. I'm looking at BB devices - I would be ok with any model - but I have some features from my Nokia that I have grown accustomed to - and I am wondering if there is a BB device which offers the same. Here they are:

My Nokia E72 Does this:

On the keyboard - there is a dedicated button (press and hold) to switch between silent and normal profile.

On the keyboard there is a dedicated button (press and hold) to switch BLue Tooth on and off

On the keyboard - pressing and holding the spacebar will activate LED Flashlight

The LED ring around the trackpad pulses/glows 24/7 - allowing me to find the phone if I have misplaced it - or find at night

The LED ring around the trackpad will stop glowing and flash on/off every 5 seconds if there is a txt/call I have missed

GPS - my E72 has a DEDICATED GPS - so it doesn't need a data connection. MAPS software is loaded on the phone by Nokia - and you have a fully functioning GPS device without a data plan.

That's really it. Pretty simple stuff. I've never owned a BB device - and I just can't find in reviews of them about what I have asked. If someone could recomend if there is a BB that does those it would be great.

BTW - I don't use data on my phones, it is strictly for calling, text msg and maybe a few games while sitting in line, and the camera (doesn't need to be great). So I don't care about touchscreen, or screen size - BUT I do want a physical keyboard.

Thank you!
    Sounds like you want an E72! I had one for a bit myself . Very nice phone too.

Z10 via CB 10
    08-31-13 03:54 AM
    Definitely a bold 9900 or a Curve 9320 for you. They come closest to meeting your requirements.
    BlackBerry 10 devices you should steer clear from as they are not what you are looking for.
    Only issue is no BlackBerry has the ring around the track pad light up.
    With a legacy device you can set the led to different colours for different things so that could replace the led ring for you?

Posted via CB10
    The ring around the trackpad does light up and is the last light to fade off on the Bold 9900 or 9930.
    08-31-13 04:12 AM
    Regarding offline maps, I guess most people don't know that Mireo maps can be downloaded from App World and Mireo has offline maps which can be downloaded from within the app.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-13 04:18 AM
    THANKS to everyone who replied.

YEah - While I'm happy with my Nokia - I'd just like to try something different.

So - I have ordered a 9900. I also ordered a beat up 8900 for $35 - just to try out the older phone since it was made around the time of my Nokia!

Thanks again for the help and suggestions!
    08-31-13 08:21 PM
    All else fails keep the 8900 throw in a 32gig card and load it up with music.thats what im doing with my 9780.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-13 11:36 PM
    The 8900 is by far my absolute favorite Legacy device as well. That phone was epic. Everything else in between until the 9900, just didn't compare IMO.

OP, I think the 9900 will be your best bet, or wait for the Z30 and see if it meets your needs. It will drop this year by Christmas I am hearing.

Posted via CB10
    09-01-13 11:22 AM
    A Z10 all the way!

BB Z10 Rocks!
    09-01-13 02:26 PM
    I don't know why people are trying to push a BlackBerry 10 device on someone who's needs clearly aren't satisfied by BlackBerry 10
    Way to put someone off a platform guys

Posted via CB10
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    09-01-13 03:55 PM
    I don't know why people are trying to push a BlackBerry 10 device on someone who's needs clearly aren't satisfied by BlackBerry 10
    Way to put someone off a platform guys

Posted via CB10
    I think a Q10 or Q5 would suit his needs, yes there is no trackpad, but I went from a 9810 to a Z10 and after a short learning curve I would never want to go back to using a trackpad when swiping and the awesome touch screen do everything and more than I could do on the Torch. So people were just being honest, yes a 9900 closest met his needs...but the fact is people often don't know how much they will like a new and different experience unless you educate them...it never hurts.

JR
    09-01-13 04:09 PM
    I think a Q10 or Q5 would suit his needs, yes there is no trackpad, but I went from a 9810 to a Z10 and after a short learning curve I would never want to go back to using a trackpad when swiping and the awesome touch screen do everything and more than I could do on the Torch. So people were just being honest, yes a 9900 closest met his needs...but the fact is people often don't know how much they will like a new and different experience unless you educate them...it never hurts.

JR
    There's education and there is flat out misleading. And the people wanting to push BlackBerry 10 are misleading. He already explained what he wanted. BlackBerry 10 is off the mark and will only give a negative experience of BlackBerry. If he wasn't so specific about what he wanted then yeah suggest BlackBerry 10. But not in this case!

Posted via CB10
    09-01-13 08:14 PM
    HEY GUYS.

Yeah - no worries- thanks for all the suggestions. I appreciate it all.

I went from a Palm Treo, to iPhone, to Galaxy Note - and then to my Nokia (kinda going back in time).

At this time - a phone with a physical keyboard is what I'm looking for. I admit - I did research the Q10/5 a lot - but since I buy all my phones off contract (full price) - I figured I'd just try an older model BB for cheap(er) first... To test the waters so to speak.

Thanks all!
    09-02-13 10:45 PM
    HEY GUYS.

Yeah - no worries- thanks for all the suggestions. I appreciate it all.

I went from a Palm Treo, to iPhone, to Galaxy Note - and then to my Nokia (kinda going back in time).

At this time - a phone with a physical keyboard is what I'm looking for. I admit - I did research the Q10/5 a lot - but since I buy all my phones off contract (full price) - I figured I'd just try an older model BB for cheap(er) first... To test the waters so to speak.

Thanks all!
    Ah an older model will not give you an accurate feel for a q device.
    Completely different systems

Posted via CB10
    09-03-13 02:46 AM
    Thanks again all.

I have been using a 9900 for a few days now and it's a pretty excellent phone. I've been using the Nokia for a year now - and the BB is much better - for me. I thought I'd just answer my own questions now:

My Nokia E72 Does this:

HAving a touchscreen makes it just as fast to do on the BB

Having a touchscreen on the BB makes it just as easy to do

Still much easier on the Nokia. On the Nokia you can hold the spacebar - even when the phone is locked - to make the flashlight work.

Turn on Signal indicator LED and all is good

Much better on the BB. Being able to change LED colours for different contacts for phone/txt msgs with no 3rd party software is great!
    09-05-13 11:25 PM
26 12