Now, I don't follow Blackberry news very much, so I don't know everything that's been going along with it. I was wondering if you guys could help me clear up some misconceptions that I have, because I don't really know the whole story. This isn't meant to sound trollish or put down BB, I'm just curious.

Basically, these came about when my friend and I were walking around a mall waiting for another friend of ours. We walk into the AT&T store because he was looking for a cover for his Galaxy Note 2 and they placed the Z10 and Q10 right next to the Note, so I wanted to take a look at it. Well, he thought it was cool looking and he was considering getting one when his contract was up. Now, being a WP user, I would prefer him to get a Nokia, but I enjoy helping out the smaller platforms too (anything to take away sales from Samsung and Apple ) so we started to play around with it and I followed BB a little bit when it came out so I knew a couple of things about how to use it like the thing where you slide up and move to the right to have a list of your emails, messages, etc.. in one place, which he thought was cool so I showed him.

Now this is where things take a turn South.

First, he goes to the store and types in 'Netflix' to see what apps they have and he was shocked to say the least that you guys don't have Netflix, since he uses his phone for that a lot. I told him there was a third party option probably and I know you guys can sideload some apps, so I told him he could try that. Then he brought up a decent point: "If it can run Android apps, is it just a cheap copy of Android?" because truth be told, it did look a little Android-ish and I didn't have an answer for him because that made sense to me. Now, I'm sure it's not Android, but I don't really know, because it doesn't make much sense for one OS to be able to run apps from another OS. My PC can't run Linux applications, so how could a BB run Android apps? He made the point to me that if he wanted Android apps, he would just buy an Android, which is a valid point.

So the TL;DR is...

1) What are you guys doing about Netflix?

2) What is BB10 based off of? Android? If, not, how can it run Android apps?

Thank you in advance for your answers.
    12-15-13 04:31 PM
    Now, I don't follow Blackberry news very much, so I don't know everything that's been going along with it. I was wondering if you guys could help me clear up some misconceptions that I have, because I don't really know the whole story. This isn't meant to sound trollish or put down BB, I'm just curious.

Basically, these came about when my friend and I were walking around a mall waiting for another friend of ours. We walk into the AT&T store because he was looking for a cover for his Galaxy Note 2 and they placed the Z10 and Q10 right next to the Note, so I wanted to take a look at it. Well, he thought it was cool looking and he was considering getting one when his contract was up. Now, being a WP user, I would prefer him to get a Nokia, but I enjoy helping out the smaller platforms too (anything to take away sales from Samsung and Apple ) so we started to play around with it and I followed BB a little bit when it came out so I knew a couple of things about how to use it like the thing where you slide up and move to the right to have a list of your emails, messages, etc.. in one place, which he thought was cool so I showed him.

First, he goes to the store and types in 'Netflix' to see what apps they have and he was shocked to say the least that you guys don't have Netflix, since he uses his phone for that a lot. I told him there was a third party option probably and I know you guys can sideload some apps, so I told him he could try that. Then he brought up a decent point: "If it can run Android apps, is it just a cheap copy of Android?" because truth be told, it did look a little Android-ish and I didn't have an answer for him because that made sense to me. Now, I'm sure it's not Android, but I don't really know, because it doesn't make much sense for one OS to be able to run apps from another OS. My PC can't run Linux applications, so how could a BB run Android apps? He made the point to me that if he wanted Android apps, he would just buy an Android, which is a valid point.

So the TL;DR is...

Hi Jass00555. BlackBerry has their own proprietary OS's. The latest is BB10, and it's based on their acquisition of a company called QNX a few years ago. QNX's OS is popular in many industries, including automobile entertainment systems, medical devices, and even NASA.

Since BB10 is such a new OS (it's been out for less than 1 year), it'll take time for apps that are build specifically for the OS to be developed and rolled out. As important as apps are to consumers, there was no way for BlackBerry to wait around for several years to play catch up on the app front. Therefore, they built an Android Runtime application so that Android applications could be installed and run on BB10 devices. This is a great stop-gap solution to ensure that consumers who may be reluctant to move to a new platform because of the immature app ecosystem would have less of a reason to be reluctant.

In the past 10 months, BB10's ecosystem has doubled, and new apps are being added all the time. Some of the big guys, such as Netflix and Instagram, continue to hold off on developing to BB10, but the Android versions work great. Native applications (those built specifically for BB10) do provide a better user experience since they're built to support all of the functionality that's inherent in the new OS (such as connecting to BBM, etc.).
    12-15-13 04:46 PM
    I love my Z30.

1) you can either side load the Android version now, or wait till the latest software release comes out. It should have a version of Android which will allow you to install the APK file directly from some of the Android app stores

2) BB10 runs a unique and proprietary code called BB10. There are already tons of apps written for this software using the Cascades framework. BB10 is also capable of running an Android runtime which runs android apps in its own silo. Think of it as an app which allows you to run other Android apps. It's just built in to the software

Posted via CB10
    12-15-13 04:49 PM
    So does that mean that is basically has BB10 and Android on it, but it uses BB10 for the OS and to run native apps and Android for the Android apps?

It kind of sounds like the Xbox One, if you know the in and outs of that. It uses the Xbox OS to run the xbox games and the main menu and stuff like that, but it also has Windows 8 inside of it, but the only thing made for that is Skype. They're planning on bringing apps from the W8 store to the Xbox One.

Is that a fair comparison?
    12-15-13 04:56 PM
    To make it as short as possible:

BB10 was developed by BB using QNX (a Unix-based OS mostly used for embedded systems) as the kernel, much like Android is built off the Linux kernel. BB also added an Android Runtime, originally intended for Android app developers to be able to easily port their Android apps to BB10, by only requiring a relatively small amount of changes.

BB10 launched in January 2013 (not until Feb/March in the US) on the Z10, followed a month later by the Q10, and eventually the Q5 and a couple of months ago the Z30. Unfortunately, sales of the phones have been far below projections, with the lack of native (or even ported Android apps) being one of the bigger reasons. Due to the very low marketshare of BB10, lots of developers have decided not to support BB10, most notably Instagram, Netflix, Google Apps, and most banks.

In response to this, BB has recently worked to enhance the Android Runtime to make it easier to run Android apps. Currently, apps still have to be converted to BB format (from .APK to .BAR), which can be done by end-users, but a leak of an upcoming version of BB10 (10.2.1.xxxx) has the runtime unlocked, which allows alternative Android Markets, such as the Amazon Marketplace and 1Mobile Market, to be installed, and Android apps to be directly installed on the phone. Not every app will work - in particular, apps that require Google Services Framework don't, but quite a few apps do work this way. Of course, this is an unofficial leak in development, so it remains to be seen if the official release will include an unlocked Android Runtime at all.

There are unsubstantiated rumors that BB is trying to work with Google to get direct access to Google Play, and also that developers are working to solve the dependencies on the Google Services Framework (which seem like contrary concepts to me), but the bottom line is that many CBers are hoping for a greatly improved experience running Android apps on BB10, again necessary because getting native BB10 apps (aka "Built For BlackBerry" apps written in Cascades, the BB10 development language) has proven to be extremely difficult given BB's other challenges.

That's what we know at this moment. Many people have opinions of what will ultimately happen with all of this, and those opinions vary widely, so we won't know anything more until BB makes something official.
    12-15-13 04:58 PM
    I have Netflix - works fine just can't get it through app world.

And as a WP user,you want to put as much space between yourself and app gaps as possible .

Posted via CB from my LE
    Last edited by KermEd; 12-15-13 at 05:15 PM.
    12-15-13 05:01 PM
    In the past 10 months, BB10's ecosystem has doubled, and new apps are being added all the time.
    I wasn't going to mention this, but I can't let this reference go by.

BlackBerry World (the app marketplace) has indeed grown a lot over the last few months, but the vast majority of the growth has been a small number of developers who are spamming the marketplace with non-apps. For example, a single developer, S4BB, has about 49,000 apps, a huge number of them being "city guides" for a single city each, and were built with an automated tool that S4BB designed that scrapes the Wikipedia page for that city and converts the data into an "app." Others are ebooks converted into a standalone app, and other such drivel. This has clogged BBWorld to the point that finding genuine apps is extremely difficult. Fully 2/3 of the "apps" on the market are from 20 developers who are using this and similar methods to spam thousands of apps into the market, most of which have zero downloads.

That's why you can't rely on the numbers alone. Apple and Google have long since purged their app stores of such developers (new ones sneak in sometimes, but they usually don't last long), but BB, who is fully aware of this happening, has done nothing to stop it, apparently preferring to tout the numbers of apps in their store over the QUALITY of the apps in their store. Very few are fooled for long by this, though.
    12-15-13 05:07 PM
    Nice, quality responses in this thread.

Posted via Z10 featuring Channel C0031BD24
    12-15-13 05:24 PM

BlackBerry World (the app marketplace) has indeed grown a lot over the last few months, but the vast majority of the growth has been a small number of developers who are spamming the marketplace with non-apps. For example, a single developer, S4BB, has about 49,000 apps, a huge number of them being "city guides" for a single city each, and were built with an automated tool that S4BB designed that scrapes the Wikipedia page for that city and converts the data into an "app." Others are ebooks converted into a standalone app, and other such drivel. This has clogged BBWorld to the point that finding genuine apps is extremely difficult. Fully 2/3 of the "apps" on the market are from 20 developers who are using this and similar methods to spam thousands of apps into the market, most of which have zero downloads.

That's why you can't rely on the numbers alone. Apple and Google have long since purged their app stores of such developers (new ones sneak in sometimes, but they usually don't last long), but BB, who is fully aware of this happening, has done nothing to stop it, apparently preferring to tout the numbers of apps in their store over the QUALITY of the apps in their store. Very few are fooled for long by this, though.
    I don't agree with these two statements. The recent growth was not from S4BB. It was mostly genuine growth from many large and small time developers. Mostly in the gaming/entertainment category. Also BBWorld may be full of these 'apps' but it is not clogged in the sense and it is not difficult to find an app you want. The majority of the apps on my phone are from BBWorld and are from both small and large developers who put out great and helpful products. I didn't have to slog through all of S4BBs apps to get them. Unless you are specifically looking for travel guides or ebooks you won't really run into them. The rest of the apps on my phone are Android ports that work pretty well and that covers 99% of my app needs. I'm only missing a banking app which is only available for the Z10, is poorly written and the Android version does not load. The rest of what you said is pretty accurate. You can't count on BBWorld app numbers to get an idea of the 'health' of the store. You really can't do the same for Windows Phone either but they have quite a few more 'must have' apps that we currently are missing.
    kthhrrsn likes this.
    12-15-13 05:50 PM

I doubt you'll find a page full of S4BB unless you tried VERY hard at trying to make it happen.

to OP:

1. I don't use Netflix, and don't have the incentive to (not yet, even more of the fact that i'm not in the US)

2. Your mileage may vary when attempting to use an Android application on a BlackBerry device.

2a. My PSP can run a lot of other things via emulation, and my computer. But it isn't "it". I mean, i can run gameboy, but PSP ain't a gameboy, despite it being able to run a gameboy. A BlackBerry can run Android, but it isn't an Android, despite having a really, really good Android runtime on the latest leak build. But does it make it an Android? Nope. But does it feel weird? Maybe. Just like playing a gameboy game on a PSP, or playing the older psp and psp mini games on a PS Vita. It is still by far emulation, or interpretted (in the case of PS Vita), but again, your mileage may vary.
    rykenryken likes this.
    12-15-13 07:08 PM

I doubt you'll find a page full of S4BB unless you tried VERY hard at trying to make it happen.

to OP:

1. I don't use Netflix, and don't have the incentive to (not yet, even more of the fact that i'm not in the US)

2. Your mileage may vary when attempting to use an Android application on a BlackBerry device.

2a. My PSP can run a lot of other things via emulation, and my computer. But it isn't "it". I mean, i can run gameboy, but PSP ain't a gameboy, despite it being able to run a gameboy. A BlackBerry can run Android, but it isn't an Android, despite having a really, really good Android runtime on the latest leak build. But does it make it an Android? Nope. But does it feel weird? Maybe. Just like playing a gameboy game on a PSP, or playing the older psp and psp mini games on a PS Vita. It is still by far emulation, or interpretted (in the case of PS Vita), but again, your mileage may vary.
    12-15-13 07:08 PM
    Peoples logic is just mind blowing sometimes, I understand and completely agree, the app development is definitely a top 5 issue but to call BB10 an android knockoff is a fairly ludicrous way to look at it.

Posted via CB10
    12-16-13 03:30 AM

Well sorry Troy, I can't let that pass without comment either. You make BlackBerry World sound useless and full of auto generated applications. You certainly can't have looked very thoroughly through the store.
    Are you keeping abreast of the true App situation?

There's a good amount of excellent apps being added at a steady rate. And plenty of very good apps already available.
    With all due respect, I suggest you widen your search terms a little.

Posted via CB10
    kthhrrsn and stlabrat like this.
    12-16-13 04:48 AM
    Well sorry Troy, I can't let that pass without comment either. You make BlackBerry World sound useless and full of auto generated applications. You certainly can't have looked very thoroughly through the store.
    Are you keeping abreast of the true App situation?

There's a good amount of excellent apps being added at a steady rate. And plenty of very good apps already available.
    With all due respect, I suggest you widen your search terms a little.

Posted via CB10
    I cannot let this pass.
    The amount of crap apps on BlackBerry World far outnumber any useful apps.
    And to make it more of a mess the results are shown in what appears to be a random order

Posted via CB10
    bbq10l likes this.
    12-16-13 11:06 AM
    I cannot let this pass.
    And to make it more of a mess the results are shown in what appears to be a random order

Posted via CB10
    Wait until you try WP lol, blackberry isn't that bad. I have lots of fun and great apps and game loft alone makes it easy to fill your drive.

Android and iOS have had modern high end devices longer, ergo they have plenty of good apps. Make no mistake, there is some serious garbage in Google play too.

With that said, I agree we have significant garbage apps on bbry. But that's a criss platform issue that will always exist until companies like blackberry start owning the app market themselves and not handing it to developers like me . Because not all 3rd party developers are good - or even nice people.

Heck I met a guy at bbry jam that wouldn't quit talking about how much he hates bbry and how his boss paid for him to fly down or he would never have been there. Wish I remembered his name and company - I just remember having some firm conversations.

Point is 3rd party always exposes low quality at some point. But that's what makes it so fun!

Posted via CB from my LE
    12-18-13 08:12 PM
    Wait until you try WP lol, blackberry isn't that bad. I have lots of fun and great apps and game loft alone makes it easy to fill your drive.

Android and iOS have had modern high end devices longer, ergo they have plenty of good apps. Make no mistake, there is some serious garbage in Google play too.

With that said, I agree we have significant garbage apps on bbry. But that's a criss platform issue that will always exist until companies like blackberry start owning the app market themselves and not handing it to developers like me . Because not all 3rd party developers are good - or even nice people.

Heck I met a guy at bbry jam that wouldn't quit talking about how much he hates bbry and how his boss paid for him to fly down or he would never have been there. Wish I remembered his name and company - I just remember having some firm conversations.

Point is 3rd party always exposes low quality at some point. But that's what makes it so fun!

Posted via CB from my LE
    I don't think it would bother me as much if it wasn't for BlackBerry World!
    The order apps appear in seems random and the infinite scrolling, which the cynic in me thinks is a ploy to make the world seem more populated, just ensures that all I see are a load of crap apps repeating.
    I think if it was like the app world of old, reaching the bottom of a list would mean I don't see so many crap apps and I would probably have a different view of things

Posted via CB10
    12-19-13 01:00 AM
    It is a sort of Android emulator

Posted via CB10
    12-19-13 01:14 AM
    I cannot let this pass.

Posted via CB10
    Well I cannot let this pass!

Sent from my BlackBerry - remember me!
    12-19-13 03:45 AM
    Well I cannot let this pass!

Sent from my BlackBerry - remember me!

Posted via CB10
    12-19-13 10:30 AM

Not even close to being true. In my whole time browsing the BlackBerry so store (since March 2013), I have found maybe 3 S4BB apps.

"This has clogged BBWorld to the point that finding genuine apps is extremely difficult"

This is nothing more than an outright lie. Seriously.

CB10 : Z10 STL100-3 10.2.0.1803
    12-23-13 02:01 AM
    I'm going to give you the short answers to your questions:

1) The OS for the phone is bb10 but there is an Android 'runtime environment' which opens converted Android Apps on top of it. The newest version of bb10 coming out in January will run Android Apps without the devs converting them first, so you will be able to run pretty much anything out there, as long as you get it from somewhere other than Google Play (and eventually we'll be able to go there as well, I hope).
    2) Netflix never converted their app cuz the CEO is a douchhe. If you wait until January (or whenever your carrier makes it available) you can install the OS upgrade and then just download it directly from somewhere other than Google Play. It will work seamlessly. If you want it before that you can sideload it or run it using a third party app like PlayOn.
    12-23-13 06:10 AM

I couldn't let this go without saying something (new first comment I think)

I love when people post saying they see not trying to be trollish but.....

Are you really asking the CB community what are "we guys" doing about Netflix?

Really?

Posted via CB10
    12-23-13 06:42 AM
    I couldn't let this go without saying something (new first comment I think)

I love when people post saying they see not trying to be trollish but.....

Are you really asking the CB community what are "we guys" doing about Netflix?

Really?

Posted via CB10
    I mean, I could see how that could be trolling just by how I asked it. Like I could hypothetically just be poking fun, but I'm interested since I legitimately don't know the answer to these questions, so I thought I would point that out. The other people here didn't seem to have a problem with how I said it.

As to the Netflix question... come on lol you know what I mean. If someone here came to WPCentral, I would assume they would ask us as if we were Microsoft. Plus, I thought I heard Kevin say in a podcast that you guys were doing something to get netflix's attention.

Posted via CB10
    12-26-13 11:50 PM

So the TL;DR is...

Here are some links to go to to read up on QNX:

http://crackberry.com/qnx

http://crackberry.com/history-qnx-an...-blackberry-10

BlackBerry is still BlackBerry through BB10 OS. Since it runs Android without using Linux it is not an Android device. As many have already told you here, the Android runtime allows for the app situation to be a non-issue. With every new update comes either an update of the current Android software runtime or a new form of Android software. 10.1 runs Gingerbread 4.2 while the new 10.2 iterations runs Jellybean 4.3. Maybe we'll see Android 4.4 KitKat with 10.3. Plus Linux is an open sourced monolithic kernel. QNX is a closed source (proprietary) micro kernel OS which gives it a much smoother experience with, if any, less glitches or crashes. BlackBerry is still BlackBerry through hardware and software. If it ran Android it wouldn't be a BlackBerry just as the iPhone is also. If it was a full Android it'll just be another Android device branded with the BlackBerry logo. If the plan for licensing BB10 works out as planned, BB10 may be seen on other devices from other OEMs.

Posted via CB10
    12-27-13 01:21 AM

Answer to #1. Waiting for Netflix to write a native app. Which might not ever happen.

Answer to #2. BlackBerry 10 is not based off of Android but it can run Android apps through its built in Android "player".

Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.1259
    12-27-13 01:30 AM
26 12