I'm planning to get an Android phone (switching from Windows). However, security is a concern to me.

Aside from a few niche phones out there, BBM seems to be the most 'secured' phone out there. Which is why I am considering it. However, the latest phone (KEY2) although nice, would not be that great for my non-work related activities (video and some gaming).

Therefore I was thinking if BBM releases its software (purchase/etc.) for non-BBM handsets?

If so, anyone have some links so I can read up on details about that?

I also read once (possibly wrong) that Samsung's Knox was based on DTEK, but I might be confusing something here.

Thank you.
    07-27-18 08:29 AM
    Samsung's KNOX has been out long before BlackBerry switched to Android.... BlackBerry does claim to be the most secure Android Phones, and no one has really challenged that claim.

That said, few in enterprise or government seems to care about it either.... that's probable because real mobile security rest with the management of the device and how it is setup and connected to their networks. And if you can trust the manufacture to be around...

Here is the like that BBMo says about the suecurity in their devcies... https://s3.amazonaws.com/blackberrym...y-Guide-en.pdf You'll notice that much of it rely on using an EMM.
    07-27-18 09:06 AM
    I would honestly say either a flagship Samsung or a Pixel.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    07-27-18 09:21 AM
    I'm planning to get an Android phone (switching from Windows). However, security is a concern to me.

Aside from a few niche phones out there, BBM seems to be the most 'secured' phone out there. Which is why I am considering it. However, the latest phone (KEY2) although nice, would not be that great for my non-work related activities (video and some gaming).

Therefore I was thinking if BBM releases its software (purchase/etc.) for non-BBM handsets?

If so, anyone have some links so I can read up on details about that?

I also read once (possibly wrong) that Samsung's Knox was based on DTEK, but I might be confusing something here.

Thank you.
    At the moment, Blackberry does not provide their version of android for use on non BB licensed handsets.

They do however have their suite of software (Hub, Calender, Contacts, etc) available for use on non-BB devices for a subscription to remove ads.

Keep in mind, that software doesn't actually make the phone more secure. What makes the phone more secure is BB's version of android - which to this date has yet to be rooted, and if you refere to Cellebrite's product info, it appears they have yet to be able to provide a method for bypassing a user lock and decrypting a BB10 or BB Android phone.

Samsung on the other hand can be rooted, and Cellebrite can bypass user locks on Qualcomm equipped Samsung Galaxy Devices.

So, if device security is your primary concern, I would shop for a BB branded device.

Now, regarding Privacy, that's another matter that needs additional techniques and software to solve. No phone comes out of the box ready to provide privacy.
    W6EOD likes this.
    07-28-18 05:55 PM