I played around with my friends 8900 on T-Mobile yesterday, I turned just the WIFI on and was able to receive and make phone calls. I tried it on my S2 and was unable to make or receive calls. I there a way to do this on the S2?? Thanks for your help!!!
    11-13-09 06:52 AM
    I have heard that VZW has blocked that ability on their WiFi devices.
    11-13-09 07:41 AM
    No.

bird is the word.
    11-13-09 07:42 AM
    ok....what does that mean?
    Is there a way to make calls using WiFi only?
    That would be great.
    11-13-09 07:53 AM
    The short answer is no.

That is called UMA. And Verizon has not enabled that functionality yet. In fact, the only carrier I know of in the States that does allow that is T-Mobile. AT&T allows something similar, but requires you to buy a device that acts much like a wireless router.

Regards
    11-13-09 07:56 AM
    Isin't VZW supposed to start supporting UMA in 2010?
    11-13-09 08:51 AM
    In a way, Verizon is already doing this with their network extender:

(Verizon | Network Extender - Verizon Wireless Support)

Now, someone just has to figure out how to get the software in this device to the phone, and voila!

I also noticed that when you choose the "Service Status" screen, it lists:

Mobile Voice
    Connection: Mobile Network

This last item, "Connection", is set up like there should (or could) be options for how to connect mobile voice. Maybe this Connection option will present WiFi as an option someday soon?
    11-13-09 09:02 AM
    I wish we could make calls via wifi
    11-13-09 09:28 AM
    Is there a Skype app for BlackBerry/Storm?
    11-13-09 09:34 AM
    11-13-09 11:43 AM
    I have been searching around for this also, the comments above are correct, UMA is only on TMO right now, and there aren't any true options yet on VZW as far as I can find. My wife works in a lab in a large limestone building and has no service inside the building, but she has wifi available, so I am holding out on the S2 or Droid for that matter until I can get a solution that allows her to receive calls on the wifi. The current services allow you to place calls, or chat, but not necessarily allow you to receive calls on the wifi network .

We need a solution for this like we in Tetherberry for free* tethering, any developers out there? Can it be done by way of a software solution?
    11-13-09 12:12 PM
    Thanks. I have seen this in the CrackBerry Apps selection but have you read the reviews? I'm afraid to get it anywhere near my perfect Storm 2.

Has anyone successfully used "IM+ for Skype" on an S2?
    11-13-09 12:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD