I just transferred a file (an mp3 ringtone) to my BB simply using Windows Explorer. I just dragged and dropped it into the Blackberry/ringtones folder. But this is a location on my memory card, not in the main BB memory. Is there a way to move a file directly into BB's main memory from Windows Explorer?

Or do I have to do it all within the device using the Files app (copying and pasting)? That's what I ended up doing...
    01-26-11 08:17 PM
    Turn off mass media storage mode if your using a pc your device should autoplay when you connect via USB. than open folders to view files. It should than show device memory and media card. Open device memory. Note the folders should be the same as in media card ie. Music, documents, ringtones ect. Drag and drop to folder you want Hope that helps

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Mr One 2; 01-26-11 at 08:46 PM.
    01-26-11 08:43 PM
    Put it in the folder that isn't the SDcard. When you connect, two options should appear in My Computer: the SDcard and the device itself.
    01-26-11 09:02 PM
    Turn off mass media storage mode if your using a pc your device should autoplay when you connect via USB. than open folders to view files. It should than show device memory and media card. Open device memory. Note the folders should be the same as in media card ie. Music, documents, ringtones ect. Drag and drop to folder you want
    I just upgraded to OS 6.0 today and the options appear different. I went to Options -> Device -> Storage and then unchecked "Media Card Support" which I think has the effect of turning off mass media storage (is that correct for OS 6?). After connecting it to my pc, the folder just says "Removable Disk" and I can't open any folders - a popup says "Please insert a disk into Removable Disk".

So I re-check the "Media Card Support" and was able to connect to my BB. But again, it seems to look like my memory card folders only. What would be the name of the device's folder? Would it actually have the word "device"? If so, I don't see it. Any other suggestion?
    01-26-11 10:23 PM
    It will say Drive F and Drive G or something like that. One is the device, the other is the SDcard. They contain basically the same folders. Right click on them to see the amount of memory they have; that's how you'll be able to determine which is the device and which is the SDcard.
    01-26-11 10:32 PM
    I don't have 6 so my only other suggestion would be to take card out and see what folder pops up?? Other than that hope someone with 6 can help ya

01-26-11 10:32 PM
  7. T
    I never noticed an autoplay feature on my own device. I wonder if it would work with msm off? Maybe you could check in DM/DS for the option to work within device memory. (Mine gives the option.)

01-27-11 03:46 AM
    Just keep the media on the SD card, once you run out of device memory, you'll run into problems.

01-27-11 05:01 AM
    It will say Drive F and Drive G or something like that. One is the device, the other is the SDcard. They contain basically the same folders. Right click on them to see the amount of memory they have; that's how you'll be able to determine which is the device and which is the SDcard.
    I only see one drive and it says Removable Disk. When I click the properties to see the size, it is the size of my memory card only. So this is obviously just the memory card. There is no other drive which would correspond to the device.

I took the card out and tried again and it still says Removable Disk but without the card it cannot be explored in Windows Explorer - it says "Please insert a disk into Removable Disk". So the BB is in effect acting as a card reader when trying to access it in Windows Explorer. If no card is there, it'll tell you to insert one.

The Blackberry Desktop Software allows you to sync music, pictures, and video only. However, this option wasn't even available when there is no memory card in the device. I don't mind leaving media files in the memory card but every once inawhile I'd like to place files inside the device memory, like a ringtone or some other important file.

Is it not possible to be able to do this through Windows Explorer?
    01-27-11 05:17 PM
    Do you have desktop manager installed? If so does your pin show up there when connected? I'm wandering if your drivers are installed is why I ask.

01-27-11 05:21 PM
    Do you have desktop manager installed? If so does your pin show up there when connected? I'm wandering if your drivers are installed is why I ask.
    Do you mean Blackberry Desktop Software? Yes I have it, it shows my PIN, and that's what prompted me to update to OS 6.0.

I'm thinking perhaps there is some other setting in the Options that would allow me access to the device memory, do you have any idea what it could be? Like I said I already tried unchecking and checking "media card support" (in Options -> Device -> Storage) and that didn't help. Could there be another setting to configure?
    Last edited by cre8tor; 01-27-11 at 05:50 PM.
    01-27-11 05:34 PM
    BlackBerry 6: Inside New Media Sync Options | Inside BlackBerry

Check this out in the comments section someone states desktop software v6 cannot or does not display device memory. I find this odd to say the least cuz I use DM6 w my OS5 device yet my computer picks up the device memory. As stated previously it shows up under "my computer" as BLACKBERRY F: . I googled this and your thread and the link above are all that seem relevant.

Edit: I can't believe that OS6 doesn't allow you to view your device memory. I have seen othe threads prompting you to email your pictures ringtones ect. To yourself. Does anyone else with OS6 have this issue or know how to view device memory on pc?
    Last edited by Mr One 2; 01-27-11 at 07:03 PM.
    01-27-11 06:46 PM
    Just as been said.when I get home tonight or in the morning ill hook up to the pc and make captures and post em.

01-27-11 07:09 PM
    Check this out in the comments section someone states desktop software v6 cannot or does not display device memory. I find this odd to say the least cuz I use DM6 w my OS5 device yet my computer picks up the device memory.
    I just wanted to be clear about the version types. I've always had Blackberry Desktop Software version 6.0 since I first got my BB (even when it was running OS 5.0). The only change I made was upgrading the BB's operating system from OS 5.0 to OS 6.0. So the OS 6.0 is what seems to be the culprit. I can't seem to see a way to open device memory from Windows Explorer (only the memory card).

Here are more details. In OS 6.0, whenever you connect your BB to your pc (via USB in my case) a screen pops up in your BB giving you 3 options: 1) USB drive (this option should be the one to allow you to transfer files between pc and device), 2) Sync Media (this option is for syncing media files with 3rd party software), 3) Charge Only (this option is if you want to charge your BB only or use it with the Blackberry Desktop Software). I checked with all three methods and none of them allow access to my device memory. Only the USB drive option worked in giving me access to my memory card (but again, not the device memory).

Again, you could always transfer a file to your memory card, then transfer it to your device memory using the Files app but I thought there was a way to actually access the device memory directly from Windows Explorer. I'm still wondering if there is a setting to configure or if they just stopped allowing it...
    01-28-11 01:23 PM
    It would seem that yes the OS6 is the culprit. I would either wait for 13echo4 to post his acerb captures. Or downgrade to OS5 and see if that fixes it. Than go back to OS6 and see if the issue replicates itself. Sounds like a pita but I have no other suggestions. Sorry !!!!

01-28-11 01:33 PM
    The 9650 doesn't have internal memory like on some other BlackBerry phones (Storm and Torch are a couple examples). It only has the memory for the OS and other data. This memory CANNOT be accessed from a computer.

The only thing that can be done is to use the "Files" icon and cut and paste them. This isn't a very good way of holding media type files because, as was mentioned, this is the memory that's used to run the phone. It's best to use the media card for media. The only reason that I can think of why you would want to do this is you want to hear your ringtones when the phone is plugged in as a drive on a computer (media card can't be accessed at this time, will default to a standard tone)

You are able to store media in the phones memory though if you really want to. If you go to the "Media" folder, click the menu button, and select "Media Options" you can set the "Built in Storage Limit" to whatever you like. After that fills up, all future media (pics and vids you take) will be forced onto the media card. Like I said though, this is NOT the way you optimally want to do this.
    01-28-11 02:14 PM
    I just did a test with Blackberry Desktop Software's Media Sync where we can transfer a music or photo file from our pc to our BB. I used it to transfer music files and photo files and they were transferred only to the memory card, not the device's internal memory! So even with Blackberry's own Desktop Software, it only gives access to the memory card and not the device's memory.

Oh well, this issue is not necessarily a deal-breaker for me though. I like the interface of OS6 better than OS5 so it's worth keeping. I just find it odd why they'd make it more dififcult to access or transfer files with the device's internal memory. Anyone have any idea why? I prefer keeping media on the media card anyway. But the phone's ringtones are located in the internal memory so I wanted to keep ringtones there so that it is actually used when my device is plugged into my pc (that is one of the reasons why I want to put some media in the internal memory, you were correct ridesno159).
    Last edited by cre8tor; 01-28-11 at 02:46 PM.
    01-28-11 02:28 PM
    [QUOTE=ridesno159;5999532]The 9650 doesn't have internal memory like on some other BlackBerry phones (Storm and Torch are a couple examples). It only has the memory for the OS and other data. This memory CANNOT be accessed from a computer.

The only thing that can be done is to use the "Files" icon and cut and paste them. This isn't a very good way of holding media type files because, as was mentioned, this is the memory that's used to run the phone. It's best to use the media card for media. The only reason that I can think of why you would want to do this is you want to hear your ringtones when the phone is plugged in as a drive on a computer (media card can't be accessed at this time, will default to a standard tone)

You are able to store media in the phones memory though if you really want to. If you go to the "Media" folder, click the menu button, and select "Media Options" you can set the "Built in Storage Limit" to whatever you like. After that fills up, all future media (pics and vids you take) will be forced onto the media card. Like I said though, this is NOT the way you optimally want to do this.[/QUOTE

I thought only OS and application files were run on the ram memory. The other internal memory is for media files and the like, and is much bigger (one gb).

01-28-11 02:45 PM
    There isn't any other work around for this, only way to do is the way you are. RIM has designed it this way for obvious reasons. That internal memory is where the OS is stored, if you accidentally move and/or delete any of those important files you will end up with an expensive paper weight until you reload the OS.

Some BlackBerry phones have internal memory (like the Storm and Torch). This acts just like a media card that you can't remove, the 9650 doesn't have this though.

The way you're doing it is probably for the best anyway because, like I mentioned, you don't want to put a lot of stuff on that Device Memory. It will slow your phone down if you put too much on. You won't have any issues though if you stick to only putting your favorite ringtones on it.
    01-28-11 02:50 PM
    I thought only OS and application files were run on the ram memory. The other internal memory is for media files and the like, and is much bigger (one gb).

The 9650 doesn't have any other internal memory...
    01-28-11 02:52 PM
    Face it, you cannot access the internal memory from the computer via USB. Only the memory card. Use FileScoutLite or BeamExplorer instead from your device.

01-28-11 05:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD