can it be done on an 8350i, woke up today and it just does not work, no insurance, no warrenty. any suggestions?
    07-22-09 02:00 PM
    07-22-09 03:27 PM
    I'm not really familiar with your model bb but does it have the test mode that is a part of os 4.5 or higher?

Options > Status, type "test." There is a part of the test that checks the vibrate motor.

Sorry, don't know where to get that part if it is bad.
    07-22-09 03:30 PM
    Tried the test still nothing, I'll check the link out

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-22-09 04:44 PM
    I would think so assuming you are electronically inclined I'd say as long as the size, current draw, etc, etc, etc...were the same you could probably switch one out. Although I can't remember if it was mounted by PCB, straight terminals, or just wire leads...PCB would be a headache, but anything else shouldn't be bad as long as you had a soldering iron and some good eyes

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-22-09 09:08 PM
    Anybody now where I could see a breakdown of where the vib. motor is located or what it looks like..maybe I got some dirt or dust in there.....what a pain
    07-23-09 07:55 AM
    no idea mate..
    07-25-09 12:44 AM
    Anybody now where I could see a breakdown of where the vib. motor is located or what it looks like..maybe I got some dirt or dust in there.....what a pain
    If you dismantle the phone you should see it on the mainboard. Look for a more or less cylindrical device (motor) about 3/4" long and 1/4" diameter, with an off-center weight on the spindle at one end.

The most likely faults are either a failed control transistor (no hope of repair), or the vibration has broken one of the solder joints where the motor is connected to the mainboard (very slim chance of repair if you have the equipment for surface mount solder rework with lead-free solder).
    07-25-09 05:39 PM
    I don't mean to bring back an old thread but it's either this or I start a new one. I have a 9700 which had taken a horrible tumble. Something was lose and it shock freely inside. Upon opening, I found the entire vibrate motor was completely off the board. I am assuming that if I wanted to repair it, I could either solder it back on or get a new board. Essentially if I get a new board, I'm getting a whole new phone. Am I correct in assuming this?
    10-06-10 08:41 AM
    Thank you for using the search feature while preparing your post.

As Branta posted:

the vibration has broken one of the solder joints where the motor is connected to the mainboard (very slim chance of repair if you have the equipment for surface mount solder rework with lead-free solder).
    This is a very difficult repair unless you have access to specialized maintenance equipment and should be considered impossible by most folks.

If the logic board is replaced, that is exactly like switching to a different device. Use BlackBerry Desktop Manager to make a backup of your data and settings. After the new device has been activated, the PIN number has been registered with your BIS/BES account, use Restore to rebuild it back to it's current state.

If you replace it with a new BlackBerry, you can use the Switch Device Wizard to do the rebuild and automatically update all of your BlackBerry Messenger and PIN message contacts.
    10-06-10 10:37 AM
    Thank you. I have decided to keep the device as my company won't cover the cost of a new one. $400

The device has been working as if nothing happened, I just had to adjust the profiles not to use the Vibrate option.
    10-08-10 01:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD