i noticed the last time i flew there were ads for wifi. Any first hand experience with using BlackBerry Wifi on a plane?

Fees?
    Speeds?
    Anything that was limited or restricted?
    Does/will SMS/MMS work?
    Battery drain?
    02-20-10 07:16 AM
    I think this is a great question. I was wondering the same thing having just returned on a flight that had it. When people say 'WiFi is over hyped' I was thinking well, if you could surf the web on the plane using WiFi, maybe it's not so bad.
    02-20-10 07:21 AM
    yes you will be able to. I just flew from nyc to Dc and wifi was available on the plane. I was able to browse
    02-20-10 07:23 AM
    i noticed the last time i flew there were ads for wifi. Any first hand experience with using BlackBerry Wifi on a plane?

Fees?
    Speeds?
    Anything that was limited or restricted?
    Does/will SMS/MMS work?
    Battery drain?
    Yes so long as the airline offers Wifi
    Fees? Depend on the airline
    Speeds? Depend on the airline
    Anything that was limited or restricted? Depend on the airline
    Does/will SMS/MMS SMS no but BBM will work
    Battery drain? Not sure
    02-20-10 07:29 AM
    @nkawal

How much did it cost?
    Speed?
    Could you send SMS/MMS?
    Were you able to access all your apps?
    Emails?

i know some things are airline dependent. That's why i'm asking for specific first hand experience.

Yeah, i was not excited about wifi at first; mostly because i don't know the capabilities. But the more i learn about wifi, the handier it sounds! Plane is just one example. Would be very nice feature to have then!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-20-10 07:30 AM
    I like the fact that BBM works with WIFI on a plane...
    02-20-10 07:33 AM
    Does anyone really believe that airlines that charge for baggage, snacks, and anything they can think of are going to provide free wifi?

It costs about $5 for a short flight (about 90 minutes) and the fee goes up as the flight gets longer.

see gogoinflight.com if you want more details. And remember that unless you're in first class you probably won't have access to any power so bring an extra battery.
    02-20-10 08:27 AM
    WIFI is WIFI... If your phone works in McDonald's or Starbucks, then it will work on airplane. I fly weekly and, all of my phones functions work (i.e SMS, MMS, email and BBM).
    02-20-10 09:13 AM
    Thanks for the site address. i'll look into it. Ya, the fees for flying are getting unbelievable.

Does anyone really believe that airlines that charge for baggage, snacks, and anything they can think of are going to provide free wifi?

It costs about $5 for a short flight (about 90 minutes) and the fee goes up as the flight gets longer.

see gogoinflight.com if you want more details. And remember that unless you're in first class you probably won't have access to any power so bring an extra battery.
    02-20-10 09:47 AM
    WIFI is WIFI... If your phone works in McDonald's or Starbucks, then it will work on airplane. I fly weekly and, all of my phones functions work (i.e SMS, MMS, email and BBM).
    I wasn't sure about the no about the SMS, I should not have said no. Thanks for the info.
    02-20-10 10:39 AM
    Good to know re SMS. i wasn't sure since it's not data but uses the voice part...

02-20-10 11:54 AM
    can you use phones on a plane now? wow its been a while. i figured if you could use wifi youd have to turn off the phone part. however if that was the case then maybe thats the real benefit in having skype on blackberries soon. you can still make calls via skype and not have the phone component of the bb on.

cool
    02-20-10 12:30 PM
    can you use phones on a plane now? wow its been a while. i figured if you could use wifi youd have to turn off the phone part. however if that was the case then maybe thats the real benefit in having skype on blackberries soon. you can still make calls via skype and not have the phone component of the bb on.

cool
    Every expert in every area (aviation, electronics, etc.) has said that there is no way a cell phone or iPod or anything could interfere with radar, telemetry, whatever. The only reason they want the phones off during flight is so we don't have to put up with listening to passengers who insist on blabbing loudly about nothing for hours.
    02-20-10 12:35 PM
    From what i've read on here, Skype won't be true VoIP, and won't use WiFi. i hope that's wrong though!

WiFi wouldn't be a dealbreaker for me. But having it will be nice when i get T2 (in a year)!

cool
    02-20-10 01:34 PM
    Not necessarily. The paid wifi services have a website that you have to go through to either sign in or enter credit card info, etc. The phone must also be able to support this website for the network you are trying to connect to.
    02-20-10 03:03 PM
    Ah interesting info! Thanks. i'm mostly interested in VZW WiFi since that's who i use. Hopefully when essex is released someone will report.

Has anyone used a Storm on plane with WiFi?

02-20-10 03:19 PM
    Every expert in every area (aviation, electronics, etc.) has said that there is no way a cell phone or iPod or anything could interfere with radar, telemetry, whatever. The only reason they want the phones off during flight is so we don't have to put up with listening to passengers who insist on blabbing loudly about nothing for hours.
    I am not doubting you at all, but I just had never heard that before. Could you please point me to a link or other source where I could read what the experts said?
    02-20-10 03:22 PM
    I am not doubting you at all, but I just had never heard that before. Could you please point me to a link or other source where I could read what the experts said?
    No specific links. I've heard it repeatedly on interviews when discussing allowing inflight phone conversations and in newspaper articles when the airlines were discussing the pros vs. cons of allowing phone use. That was before they were even considering WiFi. If everyone just browsed or texted it would be no big deal. I don't want to listen to the person next to me shout into the phone, "Can you hear me now?" while I'm trying to read or sleep on a flight. We already use laptops to watch movies with headphones.
    02-20-10 08:28 PM
    No specific links. I've heard it repeatedly on interviews when discussing allowing inflight phone conversations and in newspaper articles when the airlines were discussing the pros vs. cons of allowing phone use. That was before they were even considering WiFi. If everyone just browsed or texted it would be no big deal. I don't want to listen to the person next to me shout into the phone, "Can you hear me now?" while I'm trying to read or sleep on a flight. We already use laptops to watch movies with headphones.
    I agree, during some commuter flights in small planes I get a little on edge, if some people were talking on to their phone I wold love to make them eat it.
    02-20-10 08:34 PM
    I think this is a great question.
    I agree, this is a great question. And I would think the answer is yes.
    02-20-10 11:11 PM
    Is WiFi even that big of a deal? I currently don't have a smartphone, let alone WiFi, but is it really all that necessary? I've thought about many times buying the Tour 1 (9630), which doesn't have WiFi. I've heard it's a great phone/device, other than a few trackball issues and No WiFi.

So, is WiFi really all that necessary? What are the benefits of having WiFi on your smartphone? Thanks, I'm not real familiar with all this.
    02-21-10 12:29 PM
    One of the benefits of WiFi is being discussed in this thread. The ability to use your BlackBerry on an airplane. i'd really like that. Also, if you're in an area with weak 3G coverage or none at all you could use WiFi.

i have never used WiFi on a BlackBerry so i am interested to see how fast it is. i have heard it is quicker than 3G.

Another benefit may be while traveling overseas. i *think the phone can still use WiFi even if there is no international data plan attached. Correct me if i'm wrong.
    02-21-10 12:34 PM
    I agree, during some commuter flights in small planes I get a little on edge, if some people were talking on to their phone I wold love to make them eat it.
    Yeah, it would drive me crazy to be sitting next to someone on the phone the whole time.
    02-21-10 03:14 PM
    i've wondered why it's so annoying to be near someone talking on the phone. Is it because we can't hear the other end of the conversation and feel left out? Or because some people tend to shout into their phones? Why do people do that?!

i'm not sure why it annoys me. Because i love eavesdropping on peoples convos, even if they're talking loudly. i think i hate hearing just one side of the convo. It's boring!
    02-21-10 03:16 PM
    Do You Know the Real Reason Cell Phone Use is Banned on Airlines?

here's a link. sorry for the stupid login thing that will pop up. if you read above it and slowly scroll down you can read what it says on the page. NO direct evidence of airplane problems, has more of an impact on ground network interference but poses no harm to the plane. they've been banned since 1991 but "airplane mode" on the phone shuts off phone transmissions.
    02-21-10 04:03 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD