Hey, I have been hearing talks about Blackberry working on the M2M field. I am not an expert in technology and I guess many others are not, so can someone please explain to us what does it mean? In a clear simple way? Thank you

Powered by Blackberry
    05-16-14 02:46 PM
    Machines talking to machines and learning that they don't need humans, then plotting our enslavement.

Or maybe Machine to machine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

or maybe http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M2M
    05-16-14 02:56 PM
    Hey, I have been hearing talks about Blackberry working on the M2M field. I am not an expert in technology and I guess many others are not, so can someone please explain to us what does it mean? In a clear simple way? Thank you

Powered by Blackberry
    Its nothing exciting
    It lifts a bb10 restriction in the. Corporate World

Corporation s wouldnt upgrade to bes 10 because It didnt supports all platforms and had limited supports for ios or Android and no legacy bbry supports and without bes 10 You couldnt supports bb10 phones
    So It was preventing corporate addoption with byod policies

Now with opening upto 3rd Party m2m You can have your own m2m who supports all platforms and supports bb10 which doesnt affect the consumer just your corporate IT department

In theory It could sales if a Corporation feels Training It in b10 supports is worth It

Posted via CrackBerry App
    05-17-14 05:55 AM
    Its nothing exciting
    It lifts a bb10 restriction in the. Corporate World

Corporation s wouldnt upgrade to bes 10 because It didnt supports all platforms and had limited supports for ios or Android and no legacy bbry supports and without bes 10 You couldnt supports bb10 phones
    So It was preventing corporate addoption with byod policies

Now with opening upto 3rd Party m2m You can have your own m2m who supports all platforms and supports bb10 which doesnt affect the consumer just your corporate IT department

In theory It could sales if a Corporation feels Training It in b10 supports is worth It

Posted via CrackBerry App
    I believe you're referring to MDM (Mobile Device Management). I think the OP is asking about M2M (Machine to Machine) which involves different electronic devices communicating with each other.

Posted via CB10
    05-17-14 06:28 AM
    I believe you're referring to MDM (Mobile Device Management). I think the OP is asking about M2M (Machine to Machine) which involves different electronic devices communicating with each other.

Posted via CB10
    Yes I meant M2M machine to machine

Powered by Blackberry
    05-17-14 06:37 AM
    M2M is something BlackBerry has been talking about since the QNX purchase all the way back at the PlayBook. QNX apparently has a lot of capabilities to make M2M work great, but BlackBerry has yet to incorporate any of it into the function of the phones. Lots of talk, still vaporware, and in the meantime Apple and Google are building out product lines that all talk to and work with each other (Wearables, entertainment boxes, etc).

They also still give a lot of lip service to the Internet of Things, IOT, but aren't making things that connect to the Internet other than phones. People keep thinking one day all these legacy QNX devices out there are going to have a switch flipped and IOT M2M will magically start working with the phones, but it simply isn't going to play out that way, and I wouldn't be surprised if the industries using QNX powered devices , like medical, will be demanding iOS support as the interface device in the hands and not want to use BB10 devices.

BlackBerry needs to stop talking about what they could do with QNX and start doing what they can do quickly with it. Sorry but after 4 years of watch this S show at BlackBerry play out and the best piece of news coming out of BlackBerry is the Z3 Jakarta Edition release, I think it is safe to say that BB10 and QNX has fallen way short on the hype thrown out 4 years ago.

The only thing that I have seen QNX pay off in terms of BlackBerry is the FIPS approval process with BB10 devices, which is pure genius and the reason I'm sure they decided to go with QNX instead of Android. QNX has so much potential, but I don't think BlackBerry has the vision, the talent, or the resources to unlock the potential. They seem content launching low end phones in low end markets and hoping they don't lose their BES customers before BES12 is slowly released.

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    Rello likes this.
    05-17-14 08:15 AM
    I agree mostly.
    I think they had the vision, just couldn't make it happen. It probably worked at BlackBerry headquarters in a lab setting but they couldn't make it go.

I don't think it's fake though. You don?t get person after person over the years genuinely excited about the technology from nothing.

It's my opinion that this is the reason they weren't very proud of bb10. They knew what it's potential was, and knew what they were releasing were two very different things.

Hard to sell what you aren't proud of.

Posted via CB10
    05-17-14 08:49 AM
    M2M is something BlackBerry has been talking about since the QNX purchase all the way back at the PlayBook. QNX apparently has a lot of capabilities to make M2M work great, but BlackBerry has yet to incorporate any of it into the function of the phones. Lots of talk, still vaporware, and in the meantime Apple and Google are building out product lines that all talk to and work with each other (Wearables, entertainment boxes, etc).

They also still give a lot of lip service to the Internet of Things, IOT, but aren't making things that connect to the Internet other than phones. People keep thinking one day all these legacy QNX devices out there are going to have a switch flipped and IOT M2M will magically start working with the phones, but it simply isn't going to play out that way, and I wouldn't be surprised if the industries using QNX powered devices , like medical, will be demanding iOS support as the interface device in the hands and not want to use BB10 devices.

BlackBerry needs to stop talking about what they could do with QNX and start doing what they can do quickly with it. Sorry but after 4 years of watch this S show at BlackBerry play out and the best piece of news coming out of BlackBerry is the Z3 Jakarta Edition release, I think it is safe to say that BB10 and QNX has fallen way short on the hype thrown out 4 years ago.

The only thing that I have seen QNX pay off in terms of BlackBerry is the FIPS approval process with BB10 devices, which is pure genius and the reason I'm sure they decided to go with QNX instead of Android. QNX has so much potential, but I don't think BlackBerry has the vision, the talent, or the resources to unlock the potential. They seem content launching low end phones in low end markets and hoping they don't lose their BES customers before BES12 is slowly released.

The hyping of QNX was inescapable on these forums back then and u are right....on paper the things it could do sounded amazing. M2M, Qnet, distributed processing...all sounded game changing but it didn't turn out to benefit BB10 at all. 4 years after buying QNX I couldn't blame anyone who doubts it's coming.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Rello; 05-18-14 at 01:31 PM.
    05-17-14 12:38 PM
    You rather than explain.. went on a BlackBerry bashing spree. The OP didn't ask if BlackBerry was being responsible with it, he just asked what it is and it's capabilities

Posted via CB10
    05-17-14 04:48 PM
    You rather than explain.. went on a BlackBerry bashing spree. The OP didn't ask if BlackBerry was being responsible with it, he just asked what it is and it's capabilities

Posted via CB10
    Where do you see a bashing spree?
    The op got his question answered and the topic shifted to bb10's lack of integration of qnx's distributed architecture.
    Q-net isn't enabled or doesn't exist for us mainstream users. Discussing this is not bashing.

Posted via CB10
    05-17-14 09:43 PM

Posted via CB10
    Well we heard a lot of capabilities four years ago, but since none of that has been implemented, are those capabilities real, or were Mike an Jim creating a smoke screen to buy time to get a phone with only the security capabilities implemented? BlackBerry has always been vague about the subject and promised the moon, but have yet to actually deliver anything except phones lacking most of what they said. Why can't my Z10 and PlayBook do distributed processing together right now? Why are Apple phones working better on QNX equipped infotainment systems in cars than BB10 phones? Where are all my QNX devices that work seamlessly together?

05-18-14 06:32 AM
    Well it either has to be something like :

A. They couldn't make it work.
    B. They shifted focus.
    C. They dropped it. Or
    D. They're waiting until it's perfect.

I personally think it's another TAT thing. They spent years doing it one way, then completely started over. At first it seemed like it was going to be 'your phone is your workstation', now it's 'we'll work with what you got already '.
    Blend is cool, but it's nowhere close to having dumb terminals with phone's being the core and sapping power off each other when needed.

I could be wrong , and I hope I am.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-14 06:54 AM

Posted via CB10
    I didn't see any bashing, just fact. Its too bad they haven't used their capabilities to their fullest.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    05-18-14 08:13 AM

Posted via CB10
    Lol it ain't no bashing spike....but the OP needs to know all the potential that Bb10 devices aren't taking advantages of. imagine if they were using all the stuff we just listed, they'd have a multiple competitive advantages over the competition that I'm not sure the competition could replicate

Posted via CB10
    05-18-14 01:44 PM
    It's going to take time. They don't have the money to innovate like Apple or Google. Once they stop the bleeding they will be able to spread their focus but, right not, it has to be on selling devices.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    05-18-14 01:51 PM
    Welp....i guess John Connor should be born any day now.

Z10
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    05-18-14 02:00 PM
    Just get it right when it's ready to come out. They need to take advantage of all that though. It's all stuff that could truly make BB10 unique. I just wish they would comment on it even a little bit but just get it right. No more half baked offerings

Posted via CB10
    05-18-14 02:00 PM
    It's going to take time. They don't have the money to innovate like Apple or Google. Once they stop the bleeding they will be able to spread their focus but, right not, it has to be on selling devices.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    There's the catch22. Can't sell devices that aren't innovative, can't innovate without money from device sales.

There's a hundred posts about nobody being able to break into the duopoly without something disruptive.

This would be disruptive.
    Don't know if it'll happen though.
    What is for sure is that the competition won't sit by and wait. They don't have Qnx but they'll find a workaround. New api's will be developed that simulate qnet to a lesser extent. Saas will be pushed harder to make up for shortfalls.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-14 03:51 PM
    Its all about the Benjamins

Posted via CB10
    05-18-14 08:01 PM
    Welp....i guess John Connor should be born any day now.

Z10
    I'm already here..

Posted via CB10
    wolffkrieger likes this.
    05-19-14 12:27 AM
    Everyone seems to think that M2M is already here for everyone else and BlackBerry has been left in the dust. M2M systems are really just becoming possible on a large scale and really won't be a reality until a few more changes come. The main three issues holding back the entire M2M field are:

1. The complete takeover of IPv6 as the standard addressing format for the internet at large. This will allow fully internet capable communication without the need for ungainly subnets or private IP spaces, but as much as IPv6 has been hyped it's still taking time to gain traction.

2. Better mobile bandwidth: yes, if we're connecting all of these new devices we're going to need the bandwidth to have them talk to each other. Right now there are still large parts of the world without a reliable network connection. Even if the data amounts for individual devices are quite small, hundreds or thousands of devices all taking up space in the pipes is just a death by a thousand cuts for network providers.

3. Determining what data is actually useful, and have the means to both analyse and store that data in something close to real time. Collecting large swaths of data is easy in any field, the real challenge is turning that data into usable information. The storage is getting there, the analysis is still in its growing pains.

BlackBerry really seems to want to build out the BES framework to cover this type of machine to machine data in order to protect it, but with every aspect of the communication needing to be automated and with potentially hundreds of different companies using their own methods and collection techniques, there are still a lot of variables to be taken into account. BlackBerry is doing what they need to and putting an extensible, secure platform out there for people to use for this, but we're still a little ways off from seeing anyone take advantage or stake any claim to this market.

Posted via CB10
    wolffkrieger likes this.
    05-20-14 05:11 AM