To not switch away from BB? I have a pearl 8130 which has served me well thus far, but it's time for an upgrade. I'm with Bell mobility, so I have a choice between the pearl 3g, 9700 or samsung galaxy S vibrant. After looking everything over I have to say the samsung with android looks awesome compared to the BB options. I like the physical keyboard, but could get used to the touchscreen. Aside from that the only thing that keeps me attached to my BB is the fact that I have a BB email address, but I rarely gets messages there, and android will let me sync with my other pop3 addresses easily.

I wish there was a BB phone to stick around for, but the Torch seems to have gotten lukewarm reviews at best, and the Samsung Galaxy S is super-sick to say the least.

Give me a reason!
    08-18-10 12:37 PM
    Sounds like you should get the Galaxy then.
    08-18-10 12:39 PM
    Whether you switch or not depends entirely on your needs. If you need the full blown multimedia experience then switch. If you primarily want a phone for calls, messaging and great battery life then stick with bb. Only you can determine that.
    08-18-10 12:40 PM
    You need to get a phone based on your needs. If you are into gaming I think you should keep moving lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-18-10 12:53 PM
    Sounds like the Samsung might be your best bet, or you can wait for the BB Torch, which is probably coming soon to Canada. But I think you would be happy with the Galaxy S. Looks super sweet on TV anyways!
    08-18-10 01:01 PM
    It's crazy because I use my phone primarily for messaging and so forth. But on the occasions where I actually want to use the phone for things like apps or limited browsing, the slowdown gets pretty annoying. I am interested in the newer BB's because I understand my pearl is pretty underpowered, but I'm kinda feeling like even the new BB's are a real step behind the competition in terms of processing horsepower and so forth. Anyone have experience with the Galaxy S? I'm wondering what battery life would be like and whether or not that would end up driving me crazy. I have my phone all day and use it a lot, but again primarily for email and messaging.
    08-18-10 01:29 PM
    It's crazy because I use my phone primarily for messaging and so forth. But on the occasions where I actually want to use the phone for things like apps or limited browsing, the slowdown gets pretty annoying. I am interested in the newer BB's because I understand my pearl is pretty underpowered, but I'm kinda feeling like even the new BB's are a real step behind the competition in terms of processing horsepower and so forth. Anyone have experience with the Galaxy S? I'm wondering what battery life would be like and whether or not that would end up driving me crazy. I have my phone all day and use it a lot, but again primarily for email and messaging.
    I know zilch about the Galaxy's battery life, but if you really can't tolerate having a BB, the droids and other phones that have dismal battery life may "float your boat" if you invest in a spare battery so that you aren't left with a dead phone. I think for smartphones, the BB's have excellent battery life.
    08-18-10 01:32 PM
    It's not even so much that I can't tolerate my BB. It's treated me well and I like it, it's just that I'm not sure what I'd upgrade to if I was going to. The Torch is interesting, but not yet available and seems to have gotten mixed reviews at best. I'm just wondering if I'd invest in a new BB device only to be annoyed by slowdown and lags in the coming months. That would drive me almost as nuts as dismal battery life. The only thing which really has bothered me about my BB is having to do regular battery pulls to fix leaks and such.
    08-18-10 01:44 PM
    I don't mind the battery pull. I also have QUICK PULL which is an application that does a soft reset on your device without pulling out the battery. I use it daily but I do a physical battery pull once a week. If it is a pain for you, then maybe another platform is better suited for you. RIM is doing their best to improve their platform and the new OS 6 looks great along with their new browsing. But there will always be people who think it won't be enough. It is what you need and what you want.
    I love BB and am staying with it. I have no huge complaints. I still can listen to my music and do what I want on my BB. My Bold is awesome.....
    08-18-10 02:36 PM
    Does anyone have an idea how long it'll be before Bell introduces the Torch? I might be interested in that device. I was thinking of the Pearl 3G because I've enjoyed my current phone quite a bit. I thought something similar but with better hardware and software would be a good option, but the screen real estate is pretty limited.... what a conundrum!

edit: I think I'll end up staying with a BB. I just can see getting too annoyed at not having good battery life, push email, and an LED message light. Now my questions is: Should I wait for a torch, get a 9700 or a pearl 3g? I like the old pearl, a simple upgrade might be the easiest route!
    Last edited by Sanosuke; 08-18-10 at 02:56 PM.
    08-18-10 02:48 PM
    If I were u, I would get the torch or any of the Bold bbs (preferably 9650) and get the ipod touch for your occasional multimedia/entertainment needs.

08-18-10 02:58 PM
    If I were u, I would get the torch or any of the Bold bbs (preferably 9650) and get the ipod touch for your occasional multimedia/entertainment needs.

Why the Bold 9650 and not the 9700? Curious question with no intention to insinuate an argument. Thanks.
    08-19-10 02:39 AM
    It is completely up to you upon which device you choose to use and have for the duration of your contract or mobile phone plan. If you had the pearl for a long time, get the Pearl 3G, it'll be what you are used to, it won't be a new learning experience, just it will have a higher resolution screen, a trackpad and just about the same features as the 9700. It's just as good.

To not switch away from BB? I have a pearl 8130 which has served me well thus far, but it's time for an upgrade. I'm with Bell mobility, so I have a choice between the pearl 3g, 9700 or samsung galaxy S vibrant. After looking everything over I have to say the samsung with android looks awesome compared to the BB options. I like the physical keyboard, but could get used to the touchscreen. Aside from that the only thing that keeps me attached to my BB is the fact that I have a BB email address, but I rarely gets messages there, and android will let me sync with my other pop3 addresses easily.

I wish there was a BB phone to stick around for, but the Torch seems to have gotten lukewarm reviews at best, and the Samsung Galaxy S is super-sick to say the least.

Give me a reason!
    08-19-10 04:04 AM
    The new bb's are not a big step up from those released a year or two ago. I'd wait for something truly new and better or switch to another OS, like Android.

08-19-10 07:37 AM
    edit: I think I'll end up staying with a BB. I just can see getting too annoyed at not having good battery life, push email, and an LED message light. Now my questions is: Should I wait for a torch, get a 9700 or a pearl 3g? I like the old pearl, a simple upgrade might be the easiest route!
    I'd head to the store when the Torch is available in your area and play with all 3. I have a 9700 and love it.

It's not the Galaxy S which I'm sure has a better battery, but I briefly switched to the G1 and the battery life was atrocious. The 9700 battery definitely spoils you.

I'm back to the 9700 now and while I do miss a few apps that I had on Android, I definitely enjoy the 9700 overall much more.
    08-19-10 09:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD