Can someone please explain to me why this happens?

Every single blackberry I've ever owned has this problem. My curve 8330 worked great, it was snappy, and then within a couple months the battery started holding less of a charge and the phone got slow. After a while, it was so painful I had to get a new phone.

So I moved into the Tour. Same thing. Speedy at first, great battery life. After a couple months, same thing happened. After a while it got even worse than my previous curve, it was literally un-usable and held a charge for 3 hours.

These were both over the course of about 6 months. Not long at all.

So now, I'm on my Torch. When I first got it, very speedy, snappy/fluid and awesome battery life. After owning it now for nearly 3 months, I can say that I've noticed the battery not holding as good of a charge. I used to be able to go all day and still have a quarter at least remaining. Now it usually hits red by the end of the day. The phone is also slightly slower but not by much.

Overall the Torch is holding up leaps and bounds better than the other two ever did, but it's still frustrating and it's obviously a problem with blackberries in general. My girlfriend has had the same exact problem with a curve 8330, and now her curve 8530.

So what the **** gives? These aren't cheap devices, this is inexcusable.
    04-11-11 02:55 AM
    and it's obviously a problem with blackberries in general.
    More like, its a problem with the blackberries you two have had, something you are doing, or have in the phone, or exposing it to.

Some things that deteriorate batteries in the long run: heat, faulty chargers, crappy non oem chargers (using some other random brand charger for example), excessively fast discharges, corrosion in battery contacts (like salt/sand/dirt).

Do you relate to any of these?
    Last edited by gbsn; 04-11-11 at 03:12 AM.
    04-11-11 03:10 AM
    A phone running slow can be solved by wiping the device (make sure you backup everything first) and updating your OS. Have you thought of that?

And for battery issues, wouldn't buying a new battery make more sense?
    04-11-11 03:17 AM
    Do you let the battery discharge before you charge it?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-11-11 05:25 AM
    Perhaps your devices are switching between 3G and 2G often. That is a sure battery killer. Also what apps do you run? Many apps will kill a battery with updates like FB and such.

04-11-11 07:04 AM
    I have apps always running, such as BeWeather, BePopup and BeBuzz and my battery never drains unbelievably fast. I've always gotten at least a day, or more, out of a full charge. I would do as others have suggested, and wipe the device and/or getting a new battery. There must be something you do, as the first poster said, to make your battery so bad.
    04-11-11 08:55 AM
    Hold down your menu key and let the app switcher show you what is running in the background. Too many apps running in the back can hog battery life. Lithium ion batteries love to be charged often and suffer when discharged repeatedly. Do you store it in a metal desk during work hours. If this is the case it may be wearing itself out looking for signal. My ancient 8330 runs all day and night on a single charge. Heavy browsing, texting, emails and a few phone calls. Happy hunting.

Last edited by albee 1; 04-11-11 at 09:59 AM.
    04-11-11 09:57 AM
    With today's batteries, the absolute worst thing you can do is let them get low(red indicator on the phone). That will kill a battery quicker then ****. Now I'm not saying you have to keep it fully charged all the time, but constantly draining it into the red will cause it to not fully charge anymore(degradation). Also on a side not, newer battery types(li-on(lithium ion), li-poly(lithium polymer) although I don't think li-poly are used in phones yet, thier way to volatile) don't retain a memory as older rechargeable's did. So there is no fear of throwing it on the charger when near one. You do not completely drain the battery before charging like everyone was taught to do with older rechargeable's.

I use li-poly batteries all day long in my hobby of RC airplanes as well as older ni-cads. I know about batteries.

There was a 101 on the front page a couple days back with this exact information.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-11-11 10:12 AM
    One of the best things about owning a blackberry in my opinion is its battery life. Never have or had a battery draining issue with any of the berries I ever owned. Gotta be something the OP is doing...
    04-11-11 10:25 AM
    I have not had this issue.
    04-11-11 10:35 AM
    With today's batteries, the absolute worst thing you can do is let them get low(red indicator on the phone). That will kill a battery quicker then ****. Now I'm not saying you have to keep it fully charged all the time, but constantly draining it into the red will cause it to not fully charge anymore(degradation). Also on a side not, newer battery types(li-on(lithium ion), li-poly(lithium polymer) although I don't think li-poly are used in phones yet, thier way to volatile) don't retain a memory as older rechargeable's did. So there is no fear of throwing it on the charger when near one. You do not completely drain the battery before charging like everyone was taught to do with older rechargeable's.

I use li-poly batteries all day long in my hobby of RC airplanes as well as older ni-cads. I know about batteries.

There was a 101 on the front page a couple days back with this exact information.
    +1!!! Practices that used to be encouraged to extend long-term battery life for the older Ni-Cads will actually shorten the life of the newer ones used in today's phones. You definitely do not want to run these things down to near-death.

04-11-11 11:01 AM
    Also, what kind of building do you work in?

I get great life on my Bold 9650's battery. But as soon as I step foot in my client's building, I drain real fast as I cannot get a good cell signal inside the building......

That's why I keep a charger in my computer bag.....
    04-11-11 11:48 AM

Here is the article you mentioned. BlackBerry 101: Charging your battery | CrackBerry.com
    04-11-11 11:59 AM
    Hey guys,

To clear things up:

Both of us have always used the charger that came with the phone(s), directly from RIM in the box. Neither of us has exposed any of the phones to excessive heat. My first curve, I may have damaged it due to sweat (I'm a drummer, I left it in my pocket on stage a few times) so I'm going to let that one slide. However I've NEVER done that with my other blackberries and she definitely never has.

We both keep the phones excessively clean to say the least, so there is definitely no dust/sand/dirt/anything on it or in it. The only "fast discharge" would be the phone doing it by itself.

In the past I tried wiping, updating OS's, trying leaked ones, you name it. Nothing changed this problem. I'm guessing, like someone mentioned, if I bought a new battery, that would solve the issue. But again, these are expensive devices, and if you have to add $50+ every 4-6 months that's just plain ridiculous.

Like I said, my Torch is doing great overall, although I did notice a VERY slight change in behavior over the past few weeks. I'm more just curious why the **** this happens with EVERY other blackberry I've ever owned. In fact, it has happened to EVERY other blackberry besides the Torch for all my friends, relatives, etc. I also don't live in a bad reception area, I live right near Chicago. Everywhere I go almost has Wifi, and I never even see 2G on the phone, always a great signal.

In response to the guy who said letting our phones go into red kills them, I don't doubt that, but when you are gone all day either working/gig/school/etc and the phone doesn't even last 4-5 hours you can't stop it from going into the red! And I definitely don't have time to sit around charging it!
    04-12-11 02:52 AM
    Dude, if it is only lasting 4-5 hours, then something is wrong. You have to be doing something wrong, either leaving a bunch of apps on, or phone is switching back in forth...something is going on.

BB's are known for their battery life. You can tell me till you are blue in the face that is on da constant with your Berries and your friends, but facts are facts and most BB's, especially the candy bar phones have had great battery life.

Maybe you are setting your phones somewhere to where they are letting the battery be drained? I don't know, but something is up, unless you and your friends/wife have that bad of luck....

I have had 4 different model berries and always had good battery life. Some better than others, but never had an issue to where it would only last a few hours. I agree it is unacceptable, but need to find the root of the problems.

As far as you don't have time to plug a phone in...really? Car charger, computer has USB, outlets are everywhere...I mean I don't like charging either, but if I need too, I know I can and will.

04-12-11 04:02 AM
    Hey guys,

To clear things up:

Both of us have always used the charger that came with the phone(s), directly from RIM in the box. Neither of us has exposed any of the phones to excessive heat. My first curve, I may have damaged it due to sweat (I'm a drummer, I left it in my pocket on stage a few times) so I'm going to let that one slide. However I've NEVER done that with my other blackberries and she definitely never has.

We both keep the phones excessively clean to say the least, so there is definitely no dust/sand/dirt/anything on it or in it. The only "fast discharge" would be the phone doing it by itself.

In the past I tried wiping, updating OS's, trying leaked ones, you name it. Nothing changed this problem. I'm guessing, like someone mentioned, if I bought a new battery, that would solve the issue. But again, these are expensive devices, and if you have to add $50+ every 4-6 months that's just plain ridiculous.

Like I said, my Torch is doing great overall, although I did notice a VERY slight change in behavior over the past few weeks. I'm more just curious why the **** this happens with EVERY other blackberry I've ever owned. In fact, it has happened to EVERY other blackberry besides the Torch for all my friends, relatives, etc. I also don't live in a bad reception area, I live right near Chicago. Everywhere I go almost has Wifi, and I never even see 2G on the phone, always a great signal.

In response to the guy who said letting our phones go into red kills them, I don't doubt that, but when you are gone all day either working/gig/school/etc and the phone doesn't even last 4-5 hours you can't stop it from going into the red! And I definitely don't have time to sit around charging it!
    Ok, if everywhere you go has wifi it meand your phone constantly connects to these wifi hotspots, if you move often your phone will connect and disconect from them a lot, the more hotspots you ad the more the battery will suffer.
    And if everywhere you go has wifi you should change your signal to 2G only, sounds like you have wifi/2G/3g constantly on, again, wasting the battery away.

Charge your phone overnight so you always leave with a fully charged battery in the morning.

04-12-11 04:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD