We all know how the Storm2 and Bold 9700 drops to gprs when on a call that starts on 3G.
    Well on vodafone uk even after it drops to gprs I can still use the internet whilst on that call, something that's not supposed to be possible and it seems pretty fast still.

Can somebody explain this?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-14-10 05:29 AM
    3G allow data connection with the concurent phone call.
    2G - no.

GSM standards...
    09-14-10 06:34 AM
    3G allow data connection with the concurent phone call.
    2G - no.

GSM standards...
    You don't get it, call starts on 3G then changes to gprs. When it's gprs/2G I can still access the internet while on the call.

09-14-10 06:58 AM
    Ah, I'm gonna have to video this tonight as nobody seems to believe me. With a bold9700 you can do calls and internet at the same time on gprs/2G on vodafone uk network.

09-14-10 08:15 AM
    That happens to me sometimes too. Its a blackberry thing, if you try it with any other phone it doesn't happen nearly as much. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with bb firewall aka bis/bes being the gateway and not being able to connect while in a call. Before people start preaching bb/rim is the best thing on earth and it does not happen to them. Well it does happen and it happens enough that its noticeable

09-14-10 08:34 AM
    You don't get it, call starts on 3G then changes to gprs. When it's gprs/2G I can still access the internet while on the call.

Yea, this is a fairly common problem with the 9700. I had it happen ALL the time...
    09-14-10 08:48 AM
    Ah, you guys don't get my point, GPRS or 2G as it's called shouldn't do calls and data at the same time, only 3G is supposed to do it but with a Storm2 or Bold 9700 on GPRS/2G on Vodafone UK it is possible. No other phone can do this.

09-14-10 08:53 AM
    Ah, you guys don't get my point, GPRS or 2G as it's called shouldn't do calls and data at the same time, only 3G is supposed to do it but with a Storm2 or Bold 9700 on GPRS/2G on Vodafone UK it is possible. No other phone can do this.

over GRPS it is possible.... over EDGE it is not possible... correct....
    09-14-10 08:57 AM
    over GRPS it is possible.... over EDGE it is not possible... correct....
    Nope, gprs/edge are both 2G, they should only do calls or data. Just tried it again and this time turned 3G off completely. Just left 2G on and it worked. I tried this on an older blackberry, a 8707v and it didn't work.

I feel this is a feature of the new blackberry devices and nobody knows about it. I asked a friend with an Android tattoo to try it and it didn't work, obviously on vodafone uk as well.

09-14-10 09:03 AM
    Nope, gprs/edge are both 2G, they should only do calls or data. Just tried it again and this time turned 3G off completely. Just left 2G on and it worked. I tried this on an older blackberry, a 8707v and it didn't work.

I feel this is a feature of the new blackberry devices and nobody knows about it. I asked a friend with an Android tattoo to try it and it didn't work, obviously on vodafone uk as well.

Well i'm on T-Mobile USA, and i've had it happen to my 9700 and my Magic.... so sure it's Vodafone only thing for the 9700.

and GPRS/grps = General Rate Packet Service 2.0G

EDGE/edge = Enhanced data rates for Global Evolution = 2.5-3.0G
    Last edited by mjneid; 09-14-10 at 09:13 AM.
    09-14-10 09:10 AM
    Well i'm on T-Mobile USA, and i've had it happen to my 9700 and my Magic.... so sure it's Vodafone only thing for the 9700.
    Try this, turn your network to 2G, initiate a call, exit to home screen then open the browser and open any web page, see if it works.

09-14-10 09:12 AM
    Try this, turn your network to 2G, initiate a call, exit to home screen then open the browser and open any web page, see if it works.

IF I am on GPRS it will work,

okay.... there is a section of highway that i lose HSPA and drop down to GPRS....i drive this section of highway everyday, it's on my way to and from work. the past couple days my wife has had me turn on my wi-fi tethering on my magic so she can tether our netbook so she can finish some light stuff from work on her way home /we car pool everyday/..... and she never looses data signal....

yesterday i was talking to my mom on the phone because they were on their way home from Tennessee and wanted me to know they were leaving. so with my cell phone tethered to the netbook and me on the phone it's pretty obvious i had 3G signal, but what about the section i drop to GPRS... my wife never lost signal on her netbook....

so i was 1) on the phone 2) surfing the web 3) and only on GPRS for about 2 miles.... she never lost browser.....
    09-14-10 09:19 AM
    IF I am on GPRS it will work,

okay.... there is a section of highway that i lose HSPA and drop down to GPRS....i drive this section of highway everyday, it's on my way to and from work. the past couple days my wife has had me turn on my wi-fi tethering on my magic so she can tether our netbook so she can finish some light stuff from work on her way home /we car pool everyday/..... and she never looses data signal....

yesterday i was talking to my mom on the phone because they were on their way home from Tennessee and wanted me to know they were leaving. so with my cell phone tethered to the netbook and me on the phone it's pretty obvious i had 3G signal, but what about the section i drop to GPRS... my wife never lost signal on her netbook....

so i was 1) on the phone 2) surfing the web 3) and only on GPRS for about 2 miles.... she never lost browser.....
    Lol, try it anyway dude, just to be sure. Maybe it's a feature on new phones rather then new blackberrys. So far I know 9700 and Storm2 could do it, Android Tattoo and Blackberry 8707v, blackberry curve 8310 couldn't. Also tried the same on Storm 2 on orange uk and wouldn't work. I just wanna get to the bottom of this

09-14-10 09:29 AM
    I think once you eliminate the impossible 2g calls + data
    You end up with most likely - Phone is display is wrong!
    It's probably displaying 2G whilst it is still recieving 3G albeit temperamental
    09-15-10 02:44 AM
    I think once you eliminate the impossible 2g calls + data
    You end up with most likely - Phone is display is wrong!
    It's probably displaying 2G whilst it is still recieving 3G albeit temperamental
    That's what I first suspected but it still works when I turn 3G off completely and only leave 2G on.
    I'm starting to suspect it's using the gsm network that is still available, for the call and leaving the gprs free for data usage.
    Sometimes when I turn the phone on I see the signal going from gsm then gprs and then 3G.

Somebody must know more about this.

09-15-10 03:08 AM
    That's some interesting thing you have there going on belfastdispatcher. Personally I never had the capability to use data whenever I'm on the phone (on 2G only).
    09-15-10 05:21 AM
    Here's a recap. I first noticed this when on a call and as I always use a headset I noticed, like many others, that the signal would drop from 3G to GPRS while on that call. Then I noticed that even though I was on a call on GPRS bbms and emails would still come trough. Then I started testing it and browser was working also. I do have two other blackberrys that weren't able to do this, 8707v and a 8310. Also asked a friend to try it on his Android Tattoo and couldn't do it. That's all I know so far.

09-15-10 06:04 AM
    Doesn't the BB display what is available on the data side of things and not the call side? AKA it dropping to edge from 3G is showing that 3G data speeds are not available to you at that time. I always assumed that was the way that was reported from comments in the literature.
    09-15-10 09:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD