The title is straight and plain: Can RIM Redesign the Caller ID/Calling Screen?

As it stands right now, it is horrible. Any person with any type of sanity can acknowledge this but that doesn't mean it has to be the end all and be all. So lets go through this very simply.

This is how the current incoming/outgoing calling screen looks like...

The analysis?

Too much wasted space!

The current maximum size of your contact photo on this screen is about 64 x 64 but even with that, the rounded edges fit onto it cut off some of the image as well. At the end of it you're left with an image you can barely see and if you're like me, because of this, you don't even bother adding photos to your contacts.

As pointed out (repeatedly) there is a ton of wasted space. So what can we do to make things better? I took a quick stab at it:

WAY BETTER! 10x better than before where you had an image you could barely see to having something that's at least decent! The photo side 140x178 and the information side is 180x178.

Plus there's still room for other things that aren't visible like the symbols for bluetooth, speaker and mute. These can easily be put to the left of where it says "Connected" without compromising the look and flow.

Also for people in your contact book who might have long names, there's still room for that as there is a decent amount of room above where the name is displayed so you could have the first name on one line and the second name below.

So the answer to the question is YES. There is no reason at all why RIM can't do something as simple as this. So what do you think?? I know I'm not the only one who's thought about this but maybe we could really rally some serious thoughts and feedback on this and hopefully the visuals help. I like visuals.

Last edited by BerryGuy25; 08-19-11 at 11:27 PM.
    pattste likes this.
    08-19-11 10:36 PM
    Nice. I too think there is a lot of wasted space and that the contact picture is too small, and it's exactly why I don't even bother adding contact pictures. If you made a theme or a workaround to get the call screen to look like that, I'd download it. In fact, I'd pay $1.99 for it...
    08-19-11 10:54 PM
    Nice. I too think there is a lot of wasted space and that the contact picture is too small, and it's exactly why I don't even bother adding contact pictures. If you made a theme or a workaround to get the call screen to look like that, I'd download it. In fact, I'd pay $1.99 for it...
    Something like this though is extremely basic and should be a default look for the BB OS. While someone could make a theme, modifying the image size is something that I think would have to be done in the OS, not just a simple theme. But if I'm wrong, someone please tell me!
    08-19-11 11:06 PM
    Um... Little harsh. Are you calling me unitelligent because I don't have a problem with the current call screen. Frankly idc and don't really think its important to what it look likes just cause it works.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Alberta Blue likes this.
    08-19-11 11:19 PM
    You're absolutely right. The current design doesn't make any sense. It is even worse for those with a large screen, like Torch users.
    08-19-11 11:21 PM
    Um... Little harsh. Are you calling me unitelligent because I don't have a problem with the current call screen. Frankly idc and don't really think its important to what it look likes just cause it works.

You know what, you aren't unintelligent but it looks like having photo IDs for your contacts is a non-factor for you, which is cool. To each their own.
    08-19-11 11:30 PM
    Looks neat, and it would work great for contacts with short names. But if I were to call you (all 26 letters of my first and last name), it would probably need another line for display, cluttering it and making it hard to read. And no, I'm not changing my name to something shorter!
    08-20-11 05:24 AM
    Hmm. I like the part where it displays your own phone number. I'm just an end-user. But some business users probably have multiple numbers. So that would help them.

But that's a nice mock up. I'd def like something like that on my phone.
    08-20-11 04:28 PM
    That is way better. Add this to Boggs' OS idea.
    BTW, in the meantime, PictureID2 - Full screen pictureid
    08-20-11 06:42 PM
    Blah. Your version looks good, but I don't mind RIM's version either, and I have no problem identifying who is calling me.

There are a lot of other things I would like to see the programmers address first ...
    08-21-11 12:30 AM
    I wouldn't want to not have my number showing, I have 2 phones, and sometimes, am carrying a 3rd phone, seeing my number allows me to know which number they called me on at a glance,

I don't really care about the call display image, IF I was going to have it revamped I would want call histroy in the screen, last time this number called me, duration of the call, last time I called the number and duration of the call. Maybe sms histroy for the number as well to expand from, incoming/outgoing screen should be a launch screen for contact info, not some static page with a picture and a timer

08-21-11 07:41 AM
    I wouldn't want to not have my number showing, I have 2 phones, and sometimes, am carrying a 3rd phone, seeing my number allows me to know which number they called me on at a glance,

I don't really care about the call display image, IF I was going to have it revamped I would want call histroy in the screen, last time this number called me, duration of the call, last time I called the number and duration of the call. Maybe sms histroy for the number as well to expand from, incoming/outgoing screen should be a launch screen for contact info, not some static page with a picture and a timer

+1

I've wanted all of what you just said as well. Perhaps, there should be a few options as to what we can have the call display be.

In fact, I wish the call display would show up on your Playbook when you're in a call and bridged. That would allow for even more real estate to play with and give the user access to more information quicker.
    08-21-11 11:27 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD