Might be a bit of a wierd one, but I was hoping someone with backend knowledge might be able to shed a little light on the matter.

I have been having data issues on my 9700 for a week now, and Orange have been unable to work it out, and unwilling to replace the handset. After going through all their diagnostic departments, the geeks have decided the issue is with RIM, and the PIN for the device, not the handset itself.

Their suggestion is that RIM will look into the matter, and possibly change the PIN of the device, or other settings to get the data flow restored. Is this even possible. Or is it more likely that it would be the PIN has been blocked by RIM for some reason, and its more a matter of unblocking it?

The issue in short is.... The 9700 is not capable of sending/receiving data, but the SIM in my other Berry works fine. Its been a long time waiting on this, and now as RIM are external to Orange they cant even give a time scale on that either.
    03-30-10 01:34 PM
    If you bought it on ebay or through 3rd party chances are rim blocked the pin because the phone was stolen or something. Rim will not unblock the pin and you should file a complaint asap to ebay to get your money back.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    03-30-10 02:19 PM
    Only RIM can unblock a PIN. The big question of course would be why is it blocked?
    03-30-10 02:24 PM
    OK slight confusion.
    The phone was supplied by Orange, has not been reported lost or stolen, and was issued to me by Orange.

To the best of my knowledge it is NOT blocked, the network are certainly not aware of any block on it, but that is the once scenario I can see RIM playing a part in stopping the data flow.

The phone was received 8 weeks ago, worked fine til Thursday then just stopped. GSM working fine, GPRS/3G not at all.
    The network, Orange have run all their diagnostics and come up blank, so referred it to RIM who are now looking at the matter.

Orange suggested the PIN or the RIM backend may be something to do with the data failure, hence the asking if RIM can change such things, or of they would randomly block it.
    03-30-10 03:15 PM
    To help you out, yes, PINs can be changed.
    03-30-10 03:17 PM
    To help you out, yes, PINs can be changed.
    Cheers

Next question is, is it likely RIM would do such a thing to get a Berry working again, and can they do it without the handset being present.

I know its a bit vague, but its all part of a bigger problem, and I am trying to find out if Orange are just passing the buck, or if RIM are actually able to play a part in the diagnostics of this issue.
    03-30-10 03:40 PM
    My understanding is if an carrier cannot solve a problem, then they call RIM in to see if they can help. I'm surprised that this point that the phone has not be physically examined by the carrier to determine where the problem is.
    03-30-10 03:43 PM
    You are not the only one that is suprised. I am somewhat frustrated too.
    Few blog entries to get you up to speed here.
    A day in the life of....

I have decided I am going to return the phone to them on Thursday if there is no joy.

Cheers for the info on them referring to RIM. The way they were making it sound was it was unheard of.
    I would really have liked a courtesy exchange by now, but hey lol.
    03-30-10 03:47 PM
    sometimes when ive seen issues like this, your carrier will transfer you to RIM and they will reset you PIN on their end. this will enable your data to work again. try that.
    03-30-10 04:33 PM
    sometimes when ive seen issues like this, your carrier will transfer you to RIM and they will reset you PIN on their end. this will enable your data to work again. try that.
    Ah ha, is that known to work then? Why the **** did it take them 6 days to decide on that then lol.
    They are sending the issue to RIM, im not communicating with them myself. Fingers crossed that is the case.
    Is a PIN freezing up quite common then? I hope that is it, and if it is they are gonna get a lot of stick from me for it.
    I have been purged from Orange's system, had my BIS removed and reinstated and so much more over the past few days.

Thank you
    03-30-10 04:37 PM
    Ah ha, is that known to work then? Why the **** did it take them 6 days to decide on that then lol.
    They are sending the issue to RIM, im not communicating with them myself. Fingers crossed that is the case.
    Is a PIN freezing up quite common then? I hope that is it, and if it is they are gonna get a lot of stick from me for it.
    I have been purged from Orange's system, had my BIS removed and reinstated and so much more over the past few days.

Thank you
    it happened to another member here recently and he couldnt figure it out either. he finally spoke to RIM and they "reset" his PIN on their servers and then everything worked.
    03-30-10 05:05 PM
    Whatever you do, don't call RIM yourself. If you do, they will charge your by the minute to solve your problem.
    03-30-10 05:15 PM
    Try these words "Fix it today or hand me a new phone!" And "I'm not paying for service I'm not getting."
    03-31-10 12:11 AM
    Spacelump, I have tried that, all I get back is "we will compensate you for the inconvinience" but no possibility of replacement until the computer says so. Apparently diagnostics have to sign off that they cant resolve it. They have til Thursday.

K Bear, I have woken up with not a care in the world about it, let alone the desire to invest any more time in the matter. If its not fixed by Thursday they can have it back. But until then, no more phonecalls to them etc, and definatly not to RIM, cheers for the advice.

Dictoresno, thats really wierd, but I will show a little faith in the carrier and RIM for a day or so. I wont hold my breath, and im not gonna carry my dead useless phone about any longer. Maybe when I get home it will just be working lol.
    03-31-10 02:12 AM
    What an ordeal! Good luck with it let us know how you make out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-31-10 02:25 AM
    I don't know if this is going to sound stupid, but have you tried resending your service books to your phone? Sometimes (very rarely) something can go wrong and muck up your service books during a restart. So I suggest just giving them a quick resend and see if it helps.

Options > advanced options > host routing table > bb button > register

That might help, its worth a shot

03-31-10 02:50 AM
    PK will be sure to buddy, its driving me mad, and if I wasn't such a nerd and didnt have a spare Berry and BIS I would be really mad now lol. Thankfully I planned ahead. Just sending off letters to their customer relations now to express my full disgust.

Kyle, its one of the very first things I did, but no data flow, no service books sadly. They send, but never receive.
    I have been all the way through the carriers diagnostic services now, levels 1-2 and 3, and nothing at all. So just waiting to see if RIM can resolve before turning militant on them lol
    03-31-10 03:02 AM
    Here's a wild guess, someone lost their phone and YOUR pin got reported as "his" so Orange blocked it. I'm not sure how one could check this, but it might be an angle worth pursuing
    03-31-10 10:58 AM
    Always a possibility, but I would hope they would match it to the IMEI first, however stranger things have happened.
    No word back from RIM today nor Orange, so doubt I will get home to find the phone working.

The clock is ticking, but I am still undecided on the next course of action.

If not resolved by tomorrow PM, the choices are...

a/ cancel the contract, and pay the �65 buy out, and move to another carrier. But then I have numerous other contracts also with Orange, so will be split between 2 carriers for a long time.

b/ send the phone to them and ask them to send it back when they are finished fixing it, and claim back all the service charges, and cost of numerous hours of phone calls to them.

c/ stop worrying about it (which I already have) wait for them to decide what they are doing and either fix it or replace it, then talk hardball in 2 weeks time when one of my contracts is up for renewal and see what "compensation" they are willing to give.
    03-31-10 11:29 AM
    Well the last thing I can think of is to go to
    Options > status > type the word "test"
    A page with all sorts of things to select to test
    Try and find one that may help with data or anything else and run the tests as it tells you.

03-31-10 02:05 PM
    Na nothing there mate. The carrier and their diagnostic team have run through everything they can think of. I will just leave them to it now, and see what happens.
    If I remain an Orange customer is another matter.
    03-31-10 05:13 PM
    a/ cancel the contract, and pay the �65 buy out, and move to another carrier. But then I have numerous other contracts also with Orange, so will be split between 2 carriers for a long time.
    Forget about buying out. You have a contract with Orange which involves the supply of a fully serviceable phone and certain services. The phone is certainly still covered by warranty so if it is defective they can just exchange it. The expression you need goes something like
    "Orange is in breach of contract. You have tried for n days without success. You now have (48 hours)* to resolve the problem and get a working phone in my hand. Time is now of the essence."

* or such other time as you consider reasonable, considering this is Easter weekend and they may need to ship a new phone Thursday. It has to be a time which allows reasonable chance to get a result either by fixing at the server or replacing your device.

At deadline plus 1 hour be prepared to launch on them.

Reading between the lines it sounds like RIM has blocked the PIN. Likely reasons would be a finger error when entering the PIN of a stolen device, or maybe a duplicate device was detected with the same PIN - maybe a stolen phone which ahd been given a new identity.
    03-31-10 05:43 PM
    Branta, quite honestly you have just written everything I was thinking
    I expect it is a RIM error, but as you say, as far as I am concerned I have a contract with Orange, and more importantly THEY have a contract with me which they are indeed in breach of as I see it.

I have decided I am gonna go for the throat in a nice way, and recommend they sort it out, as it has now been 8 days. If they have not resolved the issue by close of business today I will be sending the handset back to them, for them to sort out and return to me either when fixed or send a replacement. Its not causing me hardship anymore as I have everything running on my 8520, but it not the point.

I will be demanding some form of compensation for this rediculous situation, and advising them that I will be referring the matter to the official bodies.

The replacement phones are sent by a courier company, who can do same day delivery, I know this as I used to work for the company that dealt with them, and do some deliveries of phone swaps. We worked all times of day and night to accomodate important requests.

I will be speaking with Orange this afternoon, and deciding what I do from there. I will of course update the thread

Thanks to everyone for their feedback.
    04-01-10 05:03 AM
    Calling them in half an hour, after a spot of lunch.
    Im still relaxed at the moment but im sure they can stress me out on the phone.
    04-01-10 08:29 AM
    Hi,
    I have had the same problem with my Bold 9000 on O2! I think that network problems can happen over Blackberry and also some models have faults! Mine worked fine and then it stopped connecting to the bb network over mobile network so could get sms and browse on the web on the mobile provider's browser (which costs). it still worked on wifi but then stopped connecting. Phoned o2 and spoke to a really helpful lady. She connected me to blackberry as well as her but I could not speak to Blackberry Network team myself. had to be through her. She went though and did all sorts of tests and blackberry removed the service from my pin and I lost my email address (which I couldn't have that email name back again alas, had to change it). they did not change the pin but did everything and the service books were just not going through!

The BB Network team can do an awful lot remotely! there is a whole load of tests they went through with me to try and get it working but none worked for me at the time!

The call took 90mins and she said they would look into a replacement for me. it didn't get anywhere really but after the call my phone connected and worked again. Alas in January it lost bb connection again. I phoned o2 and they said just take it to a shop and they will send it for repair. They said it and the handset had a fault and I got a new handset!

I have to say I now believe it was a handset fault! if you are in the 12month warranty of getting the handset get a new one, change it! the fault did occur for me again!

Blackberry and my network were really helpful, but it did need changing in the end
    Dan
    Last edited by DanielJUK; 04-01-10 at 08:53 AM. Reason: added a little about BB networking
    04-01-10 08:45 AM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD