Got BuddyGaurd which is supposed to lock and even wipe the device remotely if your device is stolen/lost. But what about the memory card? Finder/thief can remove memory card and access all data. So question is how do we lock/encrypt the memory card?

thanks
    Last edited by CSO; 07-03-10 at 12:15 PM.
    07-03-10 01:27 AM
    I believe that under Options/Security you can enable encryption (although it does not refer to the sd card - unless there is another setting that does it). Be aware that if it is ON and your current device dies or is lost that another BB canNOT unencrypt the data on the card - it will be lost forever. There have been questions raised by folks whose current device did die or they sold it without UNencrypting first. Result - data, photos particularly, gone.
    07-03-10 09:48 AM
    I believe that under Options/Security you can enable encryption (although it does not refer to the sd card - unless there is another setting that does it). Be aware that if it is ON and your current device dies or is lost that another BB canNOT unencrypt the data on the card - it will be lost forever. There have been questions raised by folks whose current device did die or they sold it without UNencrypting first. Result - data, photos particularly, gone.
    That's what I was afraid of. Then BuddyGuard, though good, isn't as helpful as I thought. If someone steals the device and we lock/wipe it, all is good except that all the data on the memory card is still accessible which is where most of my stuff us.

thanks
    07-03-10 12:13 PM
    There is an app called ilock that allows you to password protect individual files and folders within your bb. I think it is here in the apps section.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-03-10 04:07 PM
    There is an app called ilock that allows you to password protect individual files and folders within your bb. I think it is here in the apps section.

thanks. I checked that app out and it looks interesting, but wouldn't prevent someone from taking the card out and simply inserting elsewhere to see all that's on it.
    07-03-10 04:30 PM
    When I first experimented with BuddyGuard, I thought I recall the app stating that it does wipe the card. Are you sure it doesn't? Shoot a quick e-mail to their tech support.
    07-03-10 04:49 PM
    Found this:

"BuddyGuard currently supports the wiping of:
    Calendar
    Contacts
    Memos
    Tasks
    Files (SD Card and Device Memory)

This command is useful in cases of loss or theft when your BlackBerry is unrecoverable, allowing you to remove your personal data from your phone."

07-03-10 04:57 PM
  8. T
    In options/media card there's an option to "encrypt media files." Select "on." Make sure "mass storage mode" is set to "off." This will encrypt media files on your media card, but only if those files are downloaded to it through your BlackBerry, either OTA or via DM. If you take your media card out, put it in your computer, and add files to it that way, those files will not be encrypted. Likewise, even if you connect your BlackBerry to your computer via USB and add files with "mass storage mode" set to "on," those files will not be encrypted. You must use the media manager in DM to transfer files when transferring via usb if you want the files to be encrypted.
    07-03-10 07:57 PM
  9. T
    Another caveat: in my experience, if you encrypt media files, videos made with the video cam won't work ... NOT EVEN ON THE BLACKBERRY! Pictures made with the cam CAN be viewed on the BB (or on the computer, if transferred to it using DM or email), but videos CANNOT. Make sure you test this! If you choose to encrypt media files, you'll probably have to remember to turn media card encryption off whenever you decide to make a video. (Wouldn't want you to lose a treasured video moment because of this glitch!)
    07-03-10 08:08 PM
    Too many cons compared to pros. I don't even mess with encrypting anything.

07-03-10 10:33 PM
    Found this:

"BuddyGuard currently supports the wiping of:
    • Calendar
    • Contacts
    • Memos
    • Tasks
    • Files (SD Card and Device Memory)

This command is useful in cases of loss or theft when your BlackBerry is unrecoverable, allowing you to remove your personal data from your phone."

Excellent. If I could just read a little better, I would have seen this myself. Thanks
    Last edited by CSO; 07-03-10 at 11:57 PM.
    07-03-10 11:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD