You know, time and time again this comes up. There is always someone who wants a BB to act like a blackberry but doesn't want to get a data plan. This is just crazy and although many people disagree, a blackberry without data is just a waste and many more people with agree with that
    LOL dude! Where else are you using your data plan besides: home, office, maybe mall. You are not gonna use it driving a car, or in the cinema. Having to pay another $30(tmobile) each month is a big waste of your money
    01-15-10 02:58 PM
    I'm not sure about T-mobile Blackberries, but apparently with the Verizon Storm 2, you need to have a BIS or BES plan.
    01-22-10 12:10 AM
    My answer is already probably in here somewhere but here goes my question...
    I have rogers as my cell/data carrier. I am getting the bold 9000. I have wireless bell internet at home. When I am at home to save my data plan, can I turn off rogers data and check mail and stuff on bell's wireless internet? Is it something I have to make sure rogers will let me do, I was told no tethering, but i don't want to tether just surf wifi from my phone.
    Last edited by icefaery; 02-01-10 at 10:21 AM. Reason: spelling
    02-01-10 10:20 AM
    I have a BlackBerry 8320, I am able too use Slacker Radio without any SIM card and surfing via wifi is just fine.
    Last edited by Jim1348; 02-15-10 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Details
    02-14-10 06:35 PM
    Hi,
    I just got my cell phone but I had a question. If I use the Wi-Fi on it, it will be charged when I use MSN or yahoo messenger??
    Hope anybody can help me to figure it out soon.
    02-25-10 09:09 PM
    02-25-10 09:11 PM
    First go to settings/options/advanced options/browser change default browser to Hotspot browser.
    Save.
    Now go to home page where you see the Browser icon and click on that. Whatevercomes up then hit BB button and go to browser configuration.
    Pick Web2Go (Tmobile) NOT!
    Firefox or Explorer
    Save and there you go!
    Now when you're near a hotspot, surf away!
    I bought my 9700 from a guy at a Starbucks for $250 so I could use the UMA capabilities on wifi and because my BBflip bluetooth died (red ones do that)
    I picked Firefox and put Google as my Home Page. No $30/mo data plan!!
    don't know if it works on all BB but it does on mine.
    09-14-10 01:02 AM
    I have a BB curve 9330 3g phone, it is not activated it does not have a data plan. but I can use any wifi hotspot I encounter and not have to pay for it.
    I use the GPS, Maps, email...... actually there has been nothing I can do on wifi that i could do on a data plan.

So why does the wifi exsist if you already have a data plan to access the internet?

What did they think you can do with wifi that you can not do with a data plan?

its an extortion plot by carriers to take moneythey tell us we need to pay without questions .

at this time I plan to talk to a lawyer about this idea that all smart phone must have a data plan.
    12-31-10 11:58 AM
    Smgordon-
    Actually a data plan is NOT needed to buy a smartphone. Where did you get that from???????

A data plan IS needed to get a discounted phone. It's your option to buy the phone outright or request a discount
    01-02-11 01:46 PM
    I have a BB curve 9330 3g phone, it is not activated it does not have a data plan. but I can use any wifi hotspot I encounter and not have to pay for it.
    I use the GPS, Maps, email...... actually there has been nothing I can do on wifi that i could do on a data plan.

So why does the wifi exsist if you already have a data plan to access the internet?

What did they think you can do with wifi that you can not do with a data plan?

its an extortion plot by carriers to take moneythey tell us we need to pay without questions .

at this time I plan to talk to a lawyer about this idea that all smart phone must have a data plan.
    I used to have a data plan work then when i decided to terminate my data plan, i was surprised my BB BOLD 9000 still works. All data features are still working (BBM, MAIL, etc.) using wifi. Then after a year, it stopped. I can only browse the net thru wifi but BBM, FaceBook were gone. Trying to tweak some settings now hoping to get it back. How many are listed on ur service book?
    01-11-11 10:01 AM
    Yeah my friend says that he is using his blackberry bold 9700 without data for months now and they have not charged him, but to be extra careful I suggest when browsing internet on wifi from home or where ever turn off your network.
    06-02-11 10:34 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD