i have a new gold curve and i was wondering if i could use my home wifi internet and connect to internet on my phone for free??
    12-26-07 03:12 PM
    You sure can!
    12-26-07 03:50 PM
    thats awesome cuz someone told me i couldnt.
    12-26-07 03:53 PM
    You can and you can't. You can't use your home wifi to connect to blackberry services aka Blackberry internet or email with out a data plan. You can install Opera Mini and and something like Gmail to get internet browsing and mail on your BB off wifi.

I have heard that you can't DL anything with Opera so then you will have to install all apps using your computer. For apps that don't have a computer based install only an Over the Air you can get a converter for your computer.

At least this is how I understand the entire situation. Basically you can but its a lot more work.
    12-26-07 03:57 PM
    thanks that was alot of help!
    hopefully i dont come across anything i need to download!!
    12-27-07 01:07 AM
    Gotta disagree with 314aaron - you are extremely limited on what you can and can't do.

Check out this thread - http://www.blackberryforums.com/wifi...-can-t-do.html - for loads of information.

Good luck!
    12-27-07 01:52 AM
    Gotta disagree with 314aaron - you are extremely limited on what you can and can't do.

Check out this thread - http://www.blackberryforums.com/wifi...-can-t-do.html - for loads of information.

Good luck!
    How can you disagree?

The question was "if i could use my home wifi internet and connect to internet on my phone for free??"

Your forum is very helpful for what you can or can't do once you get on the WiFi internet without a data plan!

I have been able to load OTA apps, themes, videos, etc... over my WiFi internet at home and at other WiFi locations. I wish I had a Data Plan for IM purposes only, but I am not going to pay another 20 bucks a month for that. I am fighting with Tmo to make that free like on the Pearl!
    12-27-07 10:15 AM
    Can anyone help?? This thread has been helpful for troubleshooting my problems using wifi with no data plan (much more helpful than T-Mobile!) but I still have problems and I hope folks can weigh in.

Here's the situation: BB 8320 Curve, T-Mobile, no data plan (except $10/mo email).

I cannot open any webpages using the browser if I type in a URL (using Browser-->Go To). The only time I can get sites to open is when I use my Bookmark Manager, and only a couple of those reliably open without error (one of which is my home page).

This is the case every time I try to use the wifi, and I have tested this in a number of reliable wifi zones.

I have changed my default browser config to Wi-FI Browser, per the previous suggestions. T-Mobile said I wasn't eligible for the Feature Enabler since I have their email plan (?).

Any thoughts?? Why can I only open a few bookmarked pages, and not many of those as it is??
    10-21-08 03:42 PM
    Ive had problems using wifi standalone also
    10-22-08 11:52 AM
    You should be able to browse using wifi, but I don't think it's free without a data plan.
    10-22-08 03:34 PM
    Some web sites open and some don't with wifi only, but you can probably get what you want from another site. Once on wifi there are no charges from tmobile. I'm new to curve 8820, but I would only pay for a plan if I needed it for serious business.
    10-22-08 04:42 PM
    Go to options > advanced options > TCP and type wap.voicestream.com in the APN field and leave everything else blank. You could also try installing Opera?

Just to go back to the main theme of this thread. You can definately surf the internet using wifi and the blackberry browser for free. I have not found a website which I was unable to access using wifi. I have found that there are apps for everything you would want to do with wifi. I use logicmail for email and JiveTalk for IM (costs $20 to buy). $20 per month for the data plan just isn't worth it to me for the ability to use the internet when I am not in a wifi zone.
    10-22-08 06:53 PM
    I have the internet I pay for through tmo but I'm out towards the country so I use a combo of wifi and tmo's internet.
    10-22-08 08:39 PM
    I didn't have any issue using just Wifi for the first few weeks that I had my curve.

I didn't like the restrictions with just using wifi; only certain apps work, etc. I gave in after about two weeks and got a data plan. I highly recommend you get one.
    10-22-08 08:48 PM
    Sorry to reply to an old thread, but I'm new to BlackBerry and just want to be sure on a few items. Talking to Rogers just turns into a neverending "rah rah Rogers" debacle, and they never want to discuss doing things on the BlackBerry that are not billable items by Rogers.

I have a data plan, but if I am on WiFi then I am not depleting that usage, correct? Since getting this 9700 (awesome device, btw) anytime I go anywhere that has WiFi, I set up the profile and save it, and sure enough, whenever I go back to that place it connects perfectly on its own. I have tested the heck out of it, and cannot request a website or application that won't work or load while on a WiFi connection, so reading the above leads me to believe that I'm using the data plan and not the WiFi connection? While in a page, etc, it is the white-lit "WiFi" symbol on my screen, it is not greyed out (meaning WiFi on, but unavailable).
    01-12-10 03:03 PM
    I too have the curve 8520 and trying to get the wifi to work. I have read all the previous threads about how to set it up and select/connect to a network. I have done all that and it shows connection and its status. But when I go to the web2go or brower icon and type an address in it says subscription upsell required. Can anybody help me???? Thanks all!
    03-11-10 01:27 AM
    I really need help. I bought an unlocked phone from a retailer in the States. The original carrier was Verizon, but its been unlocked with a code (I checked the options>Sim card and did the whole MEPD procedure). The phone works on my sim card (the provider is Speak Out). But there's a mighty problem now. The browser icon on the menu list has disappeared, so I cannot continue with the procedure given on this site: ehow.com/how_4537240_using-wifi-data-pl[/url] an-t.html. Also, when I go to Advanced Options> Browser Configuration there are no options. None. The procedure says check wifi browser, but how do I do that when nothings available? Not even when I press the menu key.
    I don't have a data plan and i don't want one. I want to use the wifi from hotspots.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
    06-09-10 02:42 AM
    There is a lot you can do over wifi, I have a post in mi blog with a list of programs that work over wifi Free Blackberry apps that run over Wi-Fi
    10-26-10 09:17 PM
    okay so how bout this. i got an alltel 8530 curve and i dont like to run down my kb usage. so i have a dell desktop in my bedroom and i wanna use the wifi on my blackberry to use on my desktop. but the only way i can is to use my blackberry internet service. is there anyway that i can get my computer to reconize my blackberry's wifi and use it?
    01-20-11 06:52 PM
    I have no trouble using wifi to go to alot of places on my 8320 with NO data services.

I have no idea about all the technical lingo .... But I do know I set my phone up to show google as my homepage and search engine. I seem to remember when I first got my phone it was set up to access the net using some other homepage.

No email push but I just open my google homepage and use my gmail to pop right up
    01-20-11 08:17 PM
    okay so how bout this. i got an alltel 8530 curve and i dont like to run down my kb usage. so i have a dell desktop in my bedroom and i wanna use the wifi on my blackberry to use on my desktop. but the only way i can is to use my blackberry internet service. is there anyway that i can get my computer to reconize my blackberry's wifi and use it?
    I'm not really sure what you're trying to do...

So you don't want to use up your limited data plan? You have wifi in your house, but your computer doesn't connect to it? So you want to connect the computer and BlackBerry together and get internet from the BlackBerry which gets it from the house wifi? This is not possible.
    01-20-11 09:18 PM
    I am now using an Android, but I still want to use my old BB8900 series for WiFi only. The unregistered SIM card I inserted is for time adjustment only, but the rest of its function is now on WiFi, so no data plan, etc.

The following apps/sites work on WiFi some were installed using OTA (over the air),

Logic Mail 2.0 (I've lost the link)
    Kik (URL t.co/kUTB0oD)
    Meebo, but I would've preferred Trillian
    Opera, but ocassionally only
    BB Browser (m.yahoo.com)
    Google mobile, a few work but not all (reader, etc.)

These do not work on WiFi at all, and I wish someone could help us find a solution to these,

AOL/AIM, YM
    BB Email
    BBM (ok, never; i just put that in as a joke)
    Skype (not available on mine, actually)
    I guess it goes without saying, everything else!!!

Despite BB's failures I still think the bluetooth feature is EXCELLENT and doesn't drain battery as much as the Android. I find that it's easier to use a wired head set on Android than I have on my old BB8900. WiFi signal on BB was excellent until recently.

Kik is a must-have for any smart phone, but they're missing the old/current Nokias. So many of my friends outside the U.S. are using Nokia. It would be the true killer app if they can penetrate the Symbian. Anyway, before I digress any further, . . .

At this point, I can't wait to see more of these QWERTY keyboards on Android, so I can completely drop BB8900. I've been keeping up to date with CNET lately, and none of the news point to any successful moves on BB's end. If anything the phones are overpriced, out of reach and closed.
    Last edited by 21064a01; 09-04-11 at 06:52 PM.
    09-04-11 06:49 PM
    I purchased a blackberry from Koodo in August 2011 and I signed up for a phone/text plan but not a data plan. While at home, my blackberry could access the internet through my home wifi and then all of a sudden it stopped working. Koodo says that it's a change that RIM made - not them. So Koodo says I have to buy a data plan now to access my wifi at home or anywhere wifi is available. Anyone else experiencing this?
    09-16-11 11:10 AM
    Sometimes I think that some of you must work for AT&T or Verizon. Was looking at the package To Go Phones from AT&T. And like the original post that started this thread which was never really answered. Can you use one of these phones to connect to a wi-fi source without a data plan? some of you say yes, BUT then your limited. Some say No not without downloading this such and such program, which is not free.
    If one could connect to a wi-fi with the blackberry bold then one could reduce there total bill with a pay as you go package to as little as $25. a whack.
    So can it be done connecting to a WI-FI source with a bold 9650 as such for free?
    11-01-11 11:43 AM
    No. WiFi access requires the correct Service Books. Without the proper Service Books, which you cannot get on GoPhone on AT&T, you will not be able to access the internet on WiFi.

In short, you need a data plan. If that's not in your scope, then you need a different device platform other than BlackBerry.

Note also the OP was posted 4 years ago. Things worked differently then.
    11-01-11 07:09 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD