Hey quick question. I have a 8703e and a high end TomTom. I think model 910 or so. I want to get a bluetooth GPS receiver to use on my BlackBerry with Google Maps. I'm just wondering if anyone knows, can I pair the phone to the TomTom and use that as the GPS receiver for the phone? Just to try it to see how it works before I buy one?
    03-15-08 06:02 PM
    I do not think (I'm not positive) that the TomTom's work as a gps unit via bluetooth.

I have a TT920 and what does work is the phone and hands' free aspect when paired with a BB (8830, here). So I was able to copy my contacts to the TT and dial my phone using the TT. I believe that with tethering (I have verizon and do not have the extra $15.00 tethering) you can also use the TT Plus services like traffic/weather/etc.

Again, I don't think that the TT broadcasts its gps info out to another device (phone) via bluetooth.
    03-15-08 06:34 PM
    Hey quick question. I have a 8703e and a high end TomTom. I think model 910 or so. I want to get a bluetooth GPS receiver to use on my BlackBerry with Google Maps. I'm just wondering if anyone knows, can I pair the phone to the TomTom and use that as the GPS receiver for the phone? Just to try it to see how it works before I buy one?
    I can tell you that the GPS function on these phones works fine, whether you are using a built-in GPS receiver or a Bluetooth GPS receiver. As with any new device/software, it will take you a little time to learn how to use it effectively. As far as the Bluetooth connection on the GPS device, I doubt that it will transmit GPS information across the Bluetooth receiver. You will have to check with the manufacturer.
    03-17-08 11:35 PM
    I have an 8703e and it will not pair with my TomTom. I wrote to TomTom back in December to ask if the 8703e will be supported soon and all they said that there were no current plans to expand the TomTom pairing capability with the 8703e. Just thought I'd let you know.

Tim
    03-30-08 06:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD