I think you were talking about Trekbuddy? I went to look for it and it took me to a forum-like website that I can DL some of the newer versions. But don't know how to load it... it gave me a zip file.
    01-07-09 01:34 PM
    You have to install it on your PC and then load it to your Blackberry using the Desktop Manager.
    01-07-09 01:40 PM
    Yeah... so I've heard LOL! Then I need to save maps, directories, and stuff... if I understood it correctly
    01-07-09 02:06 PM
    as if there is no such software for free map
    01-09-09 04:14 AM
    I don't know why all of these users with Data Plans feel the need to justify spending >$60/month with such statements that a Blackberry without a data plan is worthless, etc....

If you happen to spend the majority of your time in a WiFi zone, then there really is no need for a data plan for a large number of users. Now, everyone is going to attack and tell me about PUSH email, well for a one time fee of $30, you can purchase tiggitMAIL, that can be set to check your email every second, over WiFi, sound pretty good to me.

Now, in regards to the question about using GPS for free. It can be done, don't let the $60/month users tell you it's not. Here are the step-by-step instructions. Enjoy,

OK, here's what to do

On your Bold

1) Go to - Options - Advanced Options - Location Aiding - Turn this to DISABLED
    2) Put in your MicroSD card
    3) Connect your BOLD to your computer via USB cable
    4) When the window comes up asking you whether to enable Mass Storage, say YES

On your computer

1) Make sure you can see your SD card (it will be listed as a removable disk drive)
    2) Go over to www(dot)mapcacher(dot)com and follow the instructions to outline your custom map, I would recommend going from 0-16 (zoom levels), and SLOW and DETAILED level of detail
    3) Save your custom map on a dekstop or somewhere where you can see it, but becareful to save it as "mymap.map" with the quotation marks, and select All Files from the Save File As drop-box.
    4) Next click the link to download and install GMAP Maker www(dot)mgmaps(dot)com/cache/gMapMaker-setup(dot)exe
    5) After installation, open GMapmaker, and press GO -> it will ask you for that mymap.map file you saved in Step 3
    6) Wait for the download to finish
    7) When everything is said and done, copy the MGMapsCache folder (located probably at C:/ProgramFiles/GMapMaker/) to your SD card
    8) Install the signed version of MGMaps http(colon)//forum(dot)mgmaps(dot)com/viewtopic(dot)php?t=1761&start=25 using Windows Desktop Manager

Back on the BOLD

- Open up MGMaps, go to Settings - Maps - Stored Maps - and select Offline Mode and Stored Maps

There you go, now you can track your position for free, anywhere, free of charge. Enjoy my friends
    01-26-09 11:22 PM
    Thanks for the information sonni_kuba, I'm going to try this out.
    01-26-09 11:38 PM
    Great, let me know if you run into any problems.
    01-26-09 11:48 PM
    Hi,

i'm going to buy a 8820 blackberry. Just wondering if your technique could work on a 8820 as well to get gps free?

Thanx
    02-05-09 10:13 AM
    And does this require any data? (Or Wi-Fi Hotspot?)
    02-09-09 06:32 PM
    What about Nav4All? Do you have to have data for that or not?
    02-09-09 06:36 PM
    i'm going to buy a 8820 blackberry. Just wondering if your technique could work on a 8820 as well to get gps free?
    The short answer is yes, it will work on any Blackberry with built-in GPS capability. These Blackberry models can contact orbiting satellites to triangulate your position. The information that is sent to your blackberry is numerical in units of latitude, longitude, and altitude. The reception of this information is free for all blackberry users, regardless of whether you have a data plan, a voice plan, or even a SIM card.

Now, here's the fine print, and an explanations of how we get around these obstacles.

1) A number of GPS-equipped phones come with an added functionality, called assisted GPS. What this means is that your mobile carrier will see which cell tower you are closest too, and attempt to accelerate your location find using the aforementioned satellites. Note, that this doesn't mean that your position will be more accurate, but it does have the potential to speed up your initial localization when you first turn on GPS programs. Therefore, if you want to use GPS without incurring any data charges, turn this option (Location Aiding) to "Disabled".

2) Now since most people have no idea of what 44.55.58 N and 78.07.89 W mean, this lat/long information has to be overlayed on some familiar maps. For users with data plans, every time they move to a new location, a new tile of the map is downloaded onto their phones. For those users who do not currently have data plans, the solution is to download maps onto our MicroSD cards (similar to the GPS units you buy for use in your car). The level of detail and breadth of your maps will depend on your preference.

Let me know if you guys have any other questions. Eventually, I would like to write up a "No Data Plan" how-to ... that is if I ever get the time ...
    02-09-09 07:04 PM
    Tumido, can you please clarify what you mean by "live directions"
    02-09-09 09:02 PM
    So with these maps, can you get directions? Or do you just see where you are?
    At this point in time, you are limited to seeing your position on the map updated every 1-3 sec. Unfortunately, there currently isn't an option to have turn-by-turn directions presented to you. The programmers are currently developing a utility to store street names offline, so that in future versions you will be able to find any of the streets that is saved in your map file.
    02-09-09 09:29 PM
    The only reason I would use GPS would be if I were lost, needed to find a new place or needed to find a detour in case of heavy traffic.
    Exactly the same reason I use a GPS

No, haven't tried Trekbuddy, looks too convoluted for me. I had MGMaps running on my BOLD, and now have it running on my 8900, and it's working flawlessly.
    02-09-09 10:18 PM
    Here are the step-by-step instructions. Enjoy,

OK, here's what to do

On your Bold

1) Go to - Options - Advanced Options - Location Aiding - Turn this to DISABLED
    2) Put in your MicroSD card
    3) Connect your BOLD to your computer via USB cable
    4) When the window comes up asking you whether to enable Mass Storage, say YES

On your computer

1) Make sure you can see your SD card (it will be listed as a removable disk drive)
    2) Go over to www(dot)mapcacher(dot)com and follow the instructions to outline your custom map, I would recommend going from 0-16 (zoom levels), and SLOW and DETAILED level of detail
    3) Save your custom map on a dekstop or somewhere where you can see it, but becareful to save it as "mymap.map" with the quotation marks, and select All Files from the Save File As drop-box.
    4) Next click the link to download and install GMAP Maker www(dot)mgmaps(dot)com/cache/gMapMaker-setup(dot)exe
    5) After installation, open GMapmaker, and press GO -> it will ask you for that mymap.map file you saved in Step 3
    6) Wait for the download to finish
    7) When everything is said and done, copy the MGMapsCache folder (located probably at C:/ProgramFiles/GMapMaker/) to your SD card
    8) Install the signed version of MGMaps http(colon)//forum(dot)mgmaps(dot)com/viewtopic(dot)php?t=1761&start=25 using Windows Desktop Manager

Back on the BOLD

- Open up MGMaps, go to Settings - Maps - Stored Maps - and select Offline Mode and Stored Maps

There you go, now you can track your position for free, anywhere, free of charge. Enjoy my friends
    Dang.. Im making a map of california and so far its taken 10 hours and it's still downloading the map...argh!
    03-19-09 12:55 PM
    I will be happy to see a NO data plan how to!!!
    04-02-09 04:09 PM
    Im not sure how this works. I have an 8gb mini sd card and I tired downloading the maps to it. The card wasnt big enough to store the map of California. I hope someone can show us non-data users how to enable GPS!
    04-02-09 04:27 PM
    Surely you can get Tomtom for the Blackberry Curve 8900??
    04-22-09 02:52 AM
    Let me know if you guys have any other questions. Eventually, I would like to write up a "No Data Plan" how-to ... that is if I ever get the time ...[/QUOTE]

I would be forever in your debt. I just got an 8900 and have no experience with a blackberry. Your advice and step-by-step instructions would be very much appreciated.
    05-13-09 07:42 PM
    Sonni kuba, I just got my curve couple of weeks ago and is still having trouble getting my GPS working. First of all, I didn't subscribe to data plan, so I will try your suggestion on page 2 but before i do that, I went to Option->advance option->gps to disable "Location Aiding", then I realised that my location is all zero, i.e.

GPS Data Source Device GPS
    GPS Services Location ON
    GPS Location:
    Number of Satellites: 0
    Accuracy: 0.0m

If it there is something I have to do to turn on the GPS?
    05-29-09 06:44 AM
    Im not sure how this works. I have an 8gb mini sd card and I tired downloading the maps to it. The card wasnt big enough to store the map of California. I hope someone can show us non-data users how to enable GPS!
    Another option is to carry an Atlas in your car. That does not any memory in the SD card.
    05-29-09 12:29 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD