I was looking into buying another Blackberry but before I do I wanted to know if I can just swap the SIM card between the two without having to change any settings online or on the phone. Anybody know?
    06-19-09 08:19 PM
    Yes, you can switch SIM cards. And if by settings you mean email and BBM, you can go to your carriers BIS site, in this case at&t BlackBerry Internet Service , logging in, and changing your device PIN number to the new one. Otherwise, you can start Desktop Manager and click "device switch" and everything will be done automatically.
    Last edited by raji.t; 06-19-09 at 08:25 PM.
    06-19-09 08:23 PM
    Will this allow you to get email and such on the phone you switched? I bought a "backup" bb and have not attempted to try yet.

I thought I could just change sim cards and everything would work fine. Hmmm

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-19-09 09:03 PM
    i have two BB's. it took me awhile to get them set up as mirror copies of eachother, but now they are all set up. i can now swap my SIM card, change the PIN associated with it on the BIS site and go on my merry way.
    06-19-09 09:05 PM
    Will this allow you to get email and such on the phone you switched? I bought a "backup" bb and have not attempted to try yet.

I thought I could just change sim cards and everything would work fine. Hmmm

yes as long as you log into your carriers BIS site and switch the PIN. that way, RIM servers know to reroute email to your new or backup phone.
    06-19-09 09:06 PM
    The pin is how BIS or anything communicates with your device..

so you have to let it know which device your using..
    06-19-09 10:08 PM
    Most of the above posts here are from non CDMA users, so my question is can this also be done by VZW users?
    06-19-09 10:24 PM
    Most of the above posts here are from non CDMA users, so my question is can this also be done by VZW users?
    Yes, it is the same among all users, no matter cdma or gsm.
    06-19-09 10:41 PM
    Yes, you can switch SIM cards. And if by settings you mean email and BBM, you can go to your carriers BIS site, in this case at&t BlackBerry Internet Service , logging in, and changing your device PIN number to the new one. Otherwise, you can start Desktop Manager and click "device switch" and everything will be done automatically.
    wait using the desktop manager device switch is the same as doing it through your providers bis?
    06-19-09 11:41 PM
    im not exactly sure, i dont think so, i think the DM version just transfers calendar appointments, apps, contacts, etc, and the BIS page tells RIM where to route emails..
    06-20-09 12:13 AM
    wait using the desktop manager device switch is the same as doing it through your providers bis?
    No, it isn't. It only copies your settings and data. To get the phone to
    connect you still need the BIS site.
    06-20-09 01:13 AM
    No, it isn't. It only copies your settings and data. To get the phone to
    connect you still need the BIS site.
    Ah ok thx
    Yay still get to deal with the stupid tmobile site

06-20-09 01:48 AM
    Ah ok thx
    Yay still get to deal with the stupid tmobile site

I am not familiar with the t-mobile site but changing the pin is pretty simple through bis I believe bis looks the same on all carriers as far as the interface..

I could be mistaking..
    06-20-09 04:37 AM
    The Rogers Bis site...change device is not recognizing my new device. I suppose my next option is calling them/
    07-18-11 07:04 PM
    1) If it's others carrier SIM that you want to use then make sure that the new BlackBerry is unlocked so you can use the new SIM card.
    2) you will need to contact the new carrier and update them about it, depends on what you want... sometimes you need to update files on your device.

Basically it's not a big deal
    07-18-11 09:16 PM
    As long as you are on a GSM network, switching SIM and BIS settings is pretty easy.

On CDMA, there is no SIM to swap, so the carrier will have to switch IMEI numbers to activate which phone is connected to their network, but the BIS swap works exactly the same way.
    07-19-11 07:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD