Hi guys I previously had a Blackberry Curve on BES and had backed up some important contacts on Blackberry Protect. When I log into Protect online I still see my back ups there with contacts.

If I buy a Z30 is it possible for me to recover those contacts again by restoring it onto the Z30 or another new Blackberry smartphone?

I don't want to waste money and buy a phone if I can not restore Blackberry Protect data on there.

Or do you know of any other way I can recover the data from Blackberry Protect online seeming that all older BES phones can not access Protect anymore

Thanks for your help in advance.
    11-02-19 05:56 AM
    Hi guys I previously had a Blackberry Curve on BES and had backed up some important contacts on Blackberry Protect. When I log into Protect online I still see my back ups there with contacts.

If I buy a Z30 is it possible for me to recover those contacts again by restoring it onto the Z30 or another new Blackberry smartphone?

I don't want to waste money and buy a phone if I can not restore Blackberry Protect data on there.

Or do you know of any other way I can recover the data from Blackberry Protect online seeming that all older BES phones can not access Protect anymore

Can't confirm as I haven't tried, but I have a strong suspicion that's what this button is for.
    Attached Thumbnails Can I restore Blackberry Protect Data From a Curve onto a Z30?-img_20191102_074502.png  
    11-02-19 07:47 AM

BlackBerry Protect doesn't work the same way on BB10 - it doesn't backup/restore that kind of info.
    11-02-19 09:44 AM
    BlackBerry Protect doesn't work the same way on BB10 - it doesn't backup/restore that kind of info.
    Thats a shame... Thanks

So no way to restore contacts from protect?
    11-02-19 07:41 PM
    Thats a shame... Thanks

So no way to restore contacts from protect?
    Not on a BB10 device, no.
    11-03-19 11:31 AM
    @conite Correct me if I'm wrong, but if that backup was restored onto another similar Curve (used from eBay or something), that data could then be transferred to the BB10 device via BB Device Transfer, correct? Obviously it would require a working Curve, but it's a way to access the data.
    @aglook This is a good lesson on keeping a copy of your data on a current/modern platform OR in an open, unencrypted format that can be imported into other ecosystems, rather than (or in addition to) in a proprietary backup format. If your backups are proprietary or encrypted or both, the ability to access that data is easily lost to time and circumstances. Even passwords that you once entered 10 times a day are easily forgotten after not using them for several years. I hate seeing people lose their data.
    11-03-19 12:54 PM
    @conite Correct me if I'm wrong, but if that backup was restored onto another similar Curve (used from eBay or something), that data could then be transferred to the BB10 device via BB Device Transfer, correct? Obviously it would require a working Curve, but it's a way to access the data.
    You are correct. That would work.
    11-03-19 12:55 PM
    @aglook This is a good lesson on keeping a copy of your data on a current/modern platform OR in an open, unencrypted format that can be imported into other ecosystems, rather than (or in addition to) in a proprietary backup format. If your backups are proprietary or encrypted or both, the ability to access that data is easily lost to time and circumstances. Even passwords that you once entered 10 times a day are easily forgotten after not using them for several years. I hate seeing people lose their data.
    unfortunately the data is only on blackberry protect as I lost the old curve... I was hoping I could buy another curve and restore it but blackberry connect doesnt work on a curve. Then I thought I could get a newer BB10 device like a z30 and restore the data but it doesnt seem possible.
    Its strange my data is still there on blackberry protect but there is no way to access it.
    11-03-19 01:09 PM
    Not on a BB10 device, no.
    Is there a way to restore it on a curve or protect just wont work on a curve anymore?
    11-03-19 01:10 PM
    I know that I've done exactly what the OP is asking...as I have I have 300ish contacts and I went from my Bold, to a Z10, to a Z30 and now I'm on my Passport...been on the Passport for a long time so I'm not certain how I did it...but I know that I've transferred them each time...may have been a synced contacts to email thing and then synced on the new phone...or through the desktop software...but it is possible.

Posted on my Powerful Passport
    11-03-19 01:15 PM
    Is there a way to restore it on a curve or protect just wont work on a curve anymore?
    You can restore using Protect on another BBOS device, sure.
    11-03-19 02:40 PM
    You can restore using Protect on another BBOS device, sure.
    What is that Restore button for shown in my screenshot up there?

Posted via CB10
    11-03-19 11:50 PM
    What is that Restore button for shown in my screenshot up there?

Posted via CB10
    It IS supposed to restore something from a BBOS device - just not sure what.

Certainly worth a shot.
    11-04-19 12:14 AM
    Protect will transfer the contact list, but not app data or BBM.

Switching devices using BlackBerry Protect
    11-04-19 06:40 PM