...Without going through the process of using CrackMem, deleting files, etc?

For example, there's a page on RIM's site with the official O2-UK firmware upgrade for the Pearl 8100, version 4.5.0.174. Wouldn't it be simpler to just install that? Or is there a reason the other more complex method exists?
    09-07-10 09:36 AM
    Well as I type this, I'm downloading the file for the 8100 from the O2-UK part of RIM's site, I think I'll just run it on one of my PCs. Why would I still need to delete the vendor.xml file doing it the official way?

There is no CDMA here, so that's not an issue.
    09-07-10 09:40 AM
    Well as I type this, I'm downloading the file for the 8100 from the O2-UK part of RIM's site, I think I'll just run it on one of my PCs. Why would I still need to delete the vendor.xml file doing it the official way?

There is no CDMA here, so that's not an issue.
    You would not. If you install your carriers official OS you can do so without deleting anything.
    09-07-10 09:44 AM
    Thought so. Thanks!
    09-07-10 09:45 AM
    While you can install the OS from your particular carrier (or any other by deleting vendor.xml), often times there are unnecessary files that take up the precious small amount of memory we have on our BB's. Sometimes the official release from your carrier is garbage (see posts about Verizon's 5.0.0.591 for Tour, as a perfect example).

There are definitely reasons behind going through extra steps like crackmem, installing hybrid OS', etc, but in most cases you don't have to mess with any of that if you don't want and still have a functional device.
    Last edited by the_sandman_454; 09-07-10 at 10:22 AM.
    09-07-10 10:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD