Long story short, I need to cut back on expenses. Can I disable BIS and tethering to save money and just keep the Curve as a basic phone text messaging device? Reason I ask is because I was granfathered in to Verizon from Alltel and currently my account still shows my old Alltel plan and with Alltel, they wouldn't let me keep the BlackBerry activated unless I kept the Data plan. Basically I just want to be able to make/receive calls and send/receive text messages without having to get another phone. I know that I can delete all my email accounts and the browser to keep from using data. Thanks for your help.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-18-09 07:43 AM
    As of now, it seems that even on T-Mobile(which used to not care), but enough of that, if you have a blackberry on VZW (I'm guessing Alltell as well) that it is mandatory that you have either BIS or BES...
    11-18-09 07:45 AM
    You should check with your carrier. I agree with PMurray - it is becoming more and more unlikely that you can maintain a BlackBerry account without a data plan, but the definitive word will come from your carrier.

11-18-09 08:02 AM
    You have two problems.

1) VZW will NOT allow a BlackBerry that does not have a data plan.
    2) No CDMA carrier will let you bring a device from another carrier onto their
    network, so switching carriers is not a solution.

Your only real option is to ditch the BlackBerry and choose a phone that does
    not require a data plan, a non "smartphone".
    11-18-09 08:42 AM
    I'm not sure about vzw, but I was able to use my Bold with a go phone sim card. I could talk and text and with the google gmail app still get my email pretty easily.
    11-18-09 12:26 PM
    I'm not sure about vzw, but I was able to use my Bold with a go phone sim card. I could talk and text and with the google gmail app still get my email pretty easily.
    Most likely he doesn't have a slot for SIM card. CDMA phones don't use them. If he had a Tour or Storm those are dual CDMA/GSM but not VZW Curve.

11-18-09 02:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD