Hi sorry if this is in the wrong forum but,

I'm thinking of changing my BB only im in a 2 year contract. I own the BB Curve 8520, with virgin mobile. Could I say buy an unlocked BB (Bold) and use my virgin mobile contract sim in the device?

Since the original sim has the BB data plan I imagine it would work.

Would just like confirmation on this before i go out and buy a new bb and i cant use it.

thanks guys.
    much appreciated.

Brad,
    08-07-11 05:19 PM
    Should work fine but I'm a bit confused. Are you on Virgin in the USA? If so you would have to have a Curve 8530, which is CDMA. I am pretty sure Virgin USA is a CDMA carrier. Virgin in Canada has GSM capabilities, but only 3G (not EDGE), so an 8520 won't work on that network.
    08-07-11 05:31 PM
    Technically, it should work.

I change SIMs in my phone and works just fine (8520 as well, unlocked). I've swapped SIMs between phones, changed carrier (different SIM), and when traveling I've used another country carrier's SIM, and worked just fine - all GSM.
    08-07-11 05:49 PM
    Thanks, I think i might go for it.

@ta2hallm I'm from the UK it's GPRS and sometimes GSM
    08-07-11 05:55 PM

Carriers should forbid phones from running on GPRS... lol
    08-07-11 06:06 PM
    Aha, one more thing. If the phone has 3G capabilities does it depend on your sim card? Or just the provider? so will it have 3g (the bold) or just gprs?
    08-07-11 06:07 PM

Never thought about the other side of the pond. Yes it should work fine then. You might have to call Virgin UK as you may have problems getting your BIS Email to configure with a new device. But they should have not problem with that.
    bradgibbs likes this.
    08-07-11 06:09 PM
    Aha, one more thing. If the phone has 3G capabilities does it depend on your sim card? Or just the provider? so will it have 3g (the bold) or just gprs?
    Depends if you have the service I believe. Don't quote me on this, but as far as I understand it, the SIM is merely a way for the network to identify you as a costumer...I might be terribly mistaken too ^)^
    08-07-11 06:24 PM
    When i got the contract it wasnt stated so 3G isnt part of the package, so the new device (bold) wouldn't be able to use 3G capabilities?
    08-07-11 06:30 PM
    When i got the contract it wasnt stated so 3G isnt part of the package, so the new device (bold) wouldn't be able to use 3G capabilities?
    Your 8520 is not capable of 3G which is why you don't have it. You may very well get 3G with the Bold, there shouldn't be a charge for it. A prime example of what I mean is I have a 9700 with AT&T and I get 3G but if I use an AT&T 8520 I will only get EDGE because that is all the device is capable of.
    bradgibbs likes this.
    08-07-11 07:31 PM
    Thanks alot! much help guys.
    08-08-11 04:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD