I used to have a blackberry and loved the unlimited Internet for �5 a month. Now that I was gifted an HTC, if I buy this "blackberry service bundle for �5", will I get the same perks? They allow me to buy it on the bundles menu; I'm opted in but I'm wondering if it will just take my money and not give me the service, anyone have experience with this or know what will happen?

Thanks
    11-01-15 02:16 PM
    If you are talking about the BlackBerry Internet Services (BIS) no. This is a BlackBerry exclusive service & it will be shut down soon. The reason is the BlackBerry phones released over the last few years don't require it anymore. They just use the normal Internet services provided by the telco's.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-15 02:22 PM
    [BIS] is a BlackBerry exclusive service & it will be shut down soon.
    Source?

--

To the OP: you can use BIS plans on your phone--carrier permitting--but you won't get the benefits of BIS that you would on a BBOS phone. BIS plans are capable of doubling as generic data plans, but carriers may block them on non-BB(OS) phones, especially if there is a big price disparity between BIS and equivalent generic data plans.
    11-02-15 12:32 AM
    Bro, that is from like, 10 years ago.

TJ Strozier of Astronomic Music Group
    BlackBerry_Pwner likes this.
    11-02-15 11:42 AM
    Bro, that is from like, 10 years ago.
    I think the OP's goal is to pay 5 bucks for an unlimited data plan by getting BIS, instead of whatever (higher price) the carrier charges for non-BIS plans. I'm pretty sure OP's data is going to get cut off sooner or later, until he/she changes to a generic data plan.
    TJ Strozier likes this.
    11-02-15 11:45 AM
    Keep in mind also that those "BIS unlimited data plans" were almost always limited to 2G speeds - which is what BIS was designed for in the first place.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    11-02-15 12:16 PM
    Source?

--

To the OP: you can use BIS plans on your phone--carrier permitting--but you won't get the benefits of BIS that you would on a BBOS phone. BIS plans are capable of doubling as generic data plans, but carriers may block them on non-BB(OS) phones, especially if there is a big price disparity between BIS and equivalent generic data plans.
    Exactly how it's done in Nigeria. It's exclusively for BlackBerry phones - BBOs and BB10, though not every carrier permits BIS on BB10 devices as its intended use is for BBOS.

Z10STL100-1/10.3.1.2576
    raino likes this.
    11-02-15 12:26 PM
    I used to have a blackberry and loved the unlimited Internet for �5 a month. Now that I was gifted an HTC, if I buy this "blackberry service bundle for �5", will I get the same perks? They allow me to buy it on the bundles menu; I'm opted in but I'm wondering if it will just take my money and not give me the service, anyone have experience with this or know what will happen?

Thanks
    I think you and a lot of people don't really understand what BIS really is. You want the BlackBerry Service Bundle because you think your paying �5 for unlimited Internet.

BIS is ONLY for BlackBerry OS legacy devices only and will not work on BlackBerry 10 or any other smartphone.

BIS (BlackBerry Service Bundle) is not unlimited Internet and wasn't designed to be either. The only reason people Believe it's unlimited is because it compresses data by 80% meaning 100MB would last a long time. Also, BIS is not a cheap data plan, BIS was designed to be an email service for none BES users.

BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS) is an email and synchronization service provided by RIM for BlackBerry users. BIS was created for BlackBerry users without an enterprise email account on a BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES). BIS allows you to retrieve email from multiple POP3, IMAP, and Outlook Web App (OWA) on your BlackBerry, and synchronize your contacts, calendar, and deleted items from some email providers.

If your using a BlackBerry 10 smartphone or HTC, Samsung etc etc and you select the BlackBerry Service Bundle in your Network Carriers App, it will not work and No! UK Network Carrier will refund you for purchasing it.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Craigash; 11-05-15 at 08:34 AM.
    11-04-15 07:53 AM
    If you are talking about the BlackBerry Internet Services (BIS) no. This is a BlackBerry exclusive service & it will be shut down soon. The reason is the BlackBerry phones released over the last few years don't require it anymore. They just use the normal Internet services provided by the telco's.

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry stil uses their own apn (blackberry.net) so probably the servers won't be shutdown

Posted via CB10
    11-04-15 07:59 AM
    I have had a BIS plan since 2009. I have used it on a BlackBerry 9780, 9810, 9700, 9900, Samsung Galaxy S3 and now, a Q10. Only because my carrier allows it.
    11-04-15 08:26 AM
    Exactly how it's done in Nigeria. It's exclusively for BlackBerry phones - BBOs and BB10, though not every carrier permits BIS on BB10 devices as its intended use is for BBOS.

Z10STL100-1/10.3.1.2576
    Network Carriers don't permit BIS on BB10 because it's not for BB10 device. BIS will not work on BB10, if you pay for BIS on BB10 then you may as well burn you cash, as it won't don't anything but harm your device.

Over 2 years after the release of BB10 and people still think BIS is an unlimited Internet data. It's not.

Posted via CB10
    11-05-15 08:32 AM
    I have had a BIS plan since 2009. I have used it on a BlackBerry 9780, 9810, 9700, 9900, Samsung Galaxy S3 and now, a Q10. Only because my carrier allows it.
    Your Carrier allows it because your spending money on nothing. You may as well give your money away as that's what your doing. BIS, will not work on your Q10 and it won't work on Samsung as it's a Samsung and not a BlackBerry.

This thread is starting to **** me off at how so many people still think their using BIS on BlackBerry 10 and Samsung, your not stop paying for it.

You can only use BIS on BBOS legacy devices and it's not unlimited Internet either. It's not unlimited anything.

No wonder network carriers are known for taking the ****, it's because your letting them. WOW!!!

Posted via CB10
    11-05-15 08:45 AM
    Your Carrier allows it because your spending money on nothing. You may as well give your money away as that's what your doing. BIS, will not work on your Q10 and it won't work on Samsung as it's a Samsung and not a BlackBerry.

This thread is starting to **** me off at how so many people still think their using BIS on BlackBerry 10 and Samsung, your not stop paying for it.

You can only use BIS on BBOS legacy devices and it's not unlimited Internet either. It's not unlimited anything.

No wonder network carriers are known for taking the ****, it's because your letting them. WOW!!!

Posted via CB10
    He's only spending money on it, if that Carrier charges more for it.

The reason the OP is asking this, is because in some markets it is still cheaper for a BIS Data Plan than for a traditional data plan.... yet the carrier has the BIS Data plans working just like the traditional data plans. In many other markets Carrier now charge extra for BIS plans on top of their regular data plans, as BlackBerry charges them licensing fees.

BIS has already stopped being offered in some markets.... that will slowly spread, or the cost will go up to a point where owning a BBOS device isn't worth it.... and then the service will end in that market. But BlackBerry will keep it going for as long as there are enough user to make money off of it. But I doubt in five years you'll be able to use a BBOS device....
    11-05-15 09:07 AM

Excuse me? You have NO clue whatsoever about my situation. My carrier charges nothing extra for a BIS vs. generic data plan at this time, nor does it care if a BIS plan is being used on a non BBOS phone (if they can even tell.) BlackBerry probably doesn't mind, because they're getting their sub fee. I have chosen to keep a BIS plan for convenience; I don't want to have to call my carrier every time I switch between my Q10 and 9900. Of course I don't get compression, but what do I care--I have unlimited data!

And yeah...I guess BIS doesn't work on my Q10 at all. Absolutely, yep.

Can I buy a BlackBerry service bundle, even though I don't have a BlackBerry?-img_20150507_173030.png

Can I buy a BlackBerry service bundle, even though I don't have a BlackBerry?-img_20151105_102112.png

Can I buy a BlackBerry service bundle, even though I don't have a BlackBerry?-my-tmo.png

When one generalizes, it's a good idea to make sure it doesn't make you look ignorant.
    11-05-15 12:24 PM
    Excuse me? You have NO clue whatsoever about my situation. My carrier charges nothing extra for a BIS vs. generic data plan at this time, nor does it care if a BIS plan is being used on a non BBOS phone (if they can even tell.) BlackBerry probably doesn't mind, because they're getting their sub fee. I have chosen to keep a BIS plan for convenience; I don't want to have to call my carrier every time I switch between my Q10 and 9900. Of course I don't get compression, but what do I care--I have unlimited data!

And yeah...I guess BIS doesn't work on my Q10 at all. Absolutely, yep.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150507_173030.png 
Views:	50 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	379096

Name:	IMG_20151105_102112.png 
Views:	49 
Size:	773.2 KB 
ID:	379101

Name:	My TMO.png 
Views:	49 
Size:	139.3 KB 
ID:	379100

When one generalizes, it's a good idea to make sure it doesn't make you look ignorant.
    Your right I don't know your situation. And I will say again BIS is not unlimited Internet data. It's not unlimited anything. It doesn't matter what a screen shot of your Networks account says, Network Carriers call it whatever they want and dress it up for people like you. BIS is just an email service. But I'm sure you know best.

BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS) is an email and synchronization service provided by RIM for BlackBerry users. BIS was created for BlackBerry users without an enterprise email account on a BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES). BIS allows you to retrieve email from multiple POP3, IMAP, and Outlook Web App (OWA) on your BlackBerry, and synchronize your contacts, calendar, and deleted items from some email providers.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-15 12:02 AM