In other words, if I hold down the letter C on my Curve 8330, can I set that to open up the Calculator? I know I can do speed dials this way, and that works great, but I'd like to also be able to assign some keys to applications, just like you can do with the side buttons.
    06-27-08 06:16 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/tip-...ortcuts-13131/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/cur...ts-list-45492/

Two posts about keyboard shortcuts that may help. I think it's either shortcuts or speed dial, but no assignable one-touch shortcut (that I know of). You get the ones that are already set.
    06-27-08 06:24 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/tip-...ortcuts-13131/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/cur...ts-list-45492/

Two posts about keyboard shortcuts that may help. I think it's either shortcuts or speed dial, but no assignable one-touch shortcut (that I know of). You get the ones that are already set.

Thanks for the info. What a shame. Sounds like you have to choose whether you want to be able to use your keys for speed dials, or for applications. You can't do a combination of both. ****, even the crappy old Palm OS could do this. RIM, are you listening?
    06-27-08 06:47 PM
    damn 2 con lol
    06-27-08 06:49 PM
    You can still use the speed dials, but just need to hit the Phone key first. Has been working well for me so far.
    06-27-08 08:32 PM
    MisterB - welcome from another former Treo user and T|C forum member!

I too miss that "launch from anywhere" feature. After much searching, I haven't found any utility like Butler to do that. On the BB, you can speed dial by holding a key press, but it only works from the Phone app or theme icon screens - not within other running apps.

I briefly looked through the developer guides and didn't see much that would help either. It doesn't seem like there is a full API for the OS to let an app intercept the keystrokes.

Similar to "launch anywhere", I also miss the D-pad Favorites pages to make it easier to get at apps. There is an app under development called LaunchPads (CB store, discussion thread) which is progressing nicely. I've got it tied to a convenience key, so it makes it easier to get at "the next 10" apps that aren't on my default Sprint theme. Just thought I'd pass it on.
    06-27-08 09:41 PM
    damn 2 con lol
    Now, why does it let you say damn, but I can't say H-e-l-l?
    06-27-08 11:19 PM
    MisterB - welcome from another former Treo user and T|C forum member!

I too miss that "launch from anywhere" feature. After much searching, I haven't found any utility like Butler to do that. On the BB, you can speed dial by holding a key press, but it only works from the Phone app or theme icon screens - not within other running apps.

I briefly looked through the developer guides and didn't see much that would help either. It doesn't seem like there is a full API for the OS to let an app intercept the keystrokes.

Similar to "launch anywhere", I also miss the D-pad Favorites pages to make it easier to get at apps. There is an app under development called LaunchPads (CB store, discussion thread) which is progressing nicely. I've got it tied to a convenience key, so it makes it easier to get at "the next 10" apps that aren't on my default Sprint theme. Just thought I'd pass it on.

Thanks for the info. I liked my Treos while I had them, but the Curve is much better. There are just a few remaining small things that RIM could easily fix.

You had a Handspring, huh? Remember those silly pop in boards? My worst PDA was a Sony Clie. Green and black screen, memory stick, lousy jog dial on the side of the device. I thought I hit the big time when I got a Palm IIIc with a color screen. It had that huge flip up plastic cover. Ah, the memories...
    06-27-08 11:25 PM
    Oh yeah, still have my Visor with the giant MemPlug board and a whopping 64MB SmartMedia card. Amazing thing is that it still works after 8? years. Only thing it's good for is as a remote control (OmniRemote). It def looks silly now, but was leading edge back then.

HandSpring has pretty much the last time Palm was innovative. Loved my Treo300 flip - even when my kids called it 'the world's largest cell phone'

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-28-08 10:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD