Yes because they have differentiated themselves and are not a me too player

Posted via CB10
    04-11-13 10:11 PM
    Profited. No debt. Cash in bank.

Yes

Posted via CB10
    04-11-13 10:13 PM
    04-12-13 12:17 AM
    Don't understand while apple is even mentioned with Samsung. Samsung is number 1 in shipments and apple is 6. When was the last time the press talked about the person who placed sixth in the Olympics.

I don't always comment on CrackBerry but when I do its on my Zader10 via CB10
    04-12-13 12:59 AM
    BlackBerry is fine. Of course they'll survive.

Posted via CB10
    04-12-13 01:54 AM
    Well it's becoming more than a smartphone market. BlackBerry does well in the communication department, but lacks gaming and entertainment experience.. the new modern use of a smartphone. I think they will survive because they are giving it all they got!! and QNX is a great universal platform that can go a long way! Just a matter of time now..
    patrick lerou likes this.
    04-12-13 02:11 AM
    I actually think that BlackBerry's best opportunity for revenue growth in the future lie not in smartphones, but with QNX in automobiles.

So, we will see what happens in the future, but I am feeling very positive about BlackBerry's survival chances.

This is also helped by the fact that I love the Z10. Yeah, it is a first generation os and needs some tweaks and improvements, but I am hooked - I can't see myself moving away from the hub and the swiping gestures.

Posted via CB10
    patrick lerou likes this.
    04-12-13 02:41 AM
    Let's open this can of worms: Chinese companies can offer smartphones at 15-20% less because copying a design takes at least 20% less engineering time than creating one from scratch. Huawei is known globally for their theft of intellectual property, but it's impossible to pursue damages in China. Remember the fake Apple stores? Huawei started ripping off cellular base station technology years ago. The funniest story that I witnessed first hand is how they knocked off an LTE power amplifier design that was a beta product that ended up having thermal issues and underwent a last-minute design change before production. Huawei missed that, though, and produced the same device with the bug until they started seeing the issue.

Here's one of many articles you can find:
    60 Minutes torpedoes Huawei in less than 15 minutes

So the bigger question is can these emerging companies survive and at what cost to their competitors who are actually doing the work? They'll either figure out enough to start designing products that are more their own and may be able to make a go of it, or they will completely implode when the house of cards on which their products are built comes tumbling down (whether this be due to quality or legal issues).
    AT_Nepal likes this.
    04-12-13 03:00 AM

Posted via CB10
    In what way has Blackberry set themselves apart from other smartphones with their latest phones?
    bekkay and richardat like this.
    04-12-13 03:32 AM
    blame it on google, who are offering Android to everybody. take it away, and samsung will NEVER be at their current position, sony will not be able to climb back up, huawei won't even get started in the smartphone market!
    04-12-13 03:46 AM
    blame it on google, who are offering Android to everybody. take it away, and samsung will NEVER be at their current position, sony will not be able to climb back up, huawei won't even get started in the smartphone market!
    Samsung is a thief and deserves to collapse
    04-14-13 06:27 PM

Posted via CB10
    There are plenty differentiated players who'd like a slice of the market. Unfortunately, the market has become saturated and the network effect (ecosystem) remains to be the main factor for consumers.
    04-14-13 10:39 PM
    I am not so sure if Blackberry is taking the correct steps in order to survive in this market. The Z10 is now approximately $600 here in Canada and the Q10 is going to be sold for $700 a pop. Both of these phones are priced very high but offer very little in return. I'm talking about apps and developer support. Everything else from the camera to the cpu is comparable if not weaker to what's already out there.

Blackberry's goal should be to get these phones in as many hands as possible so as to attract developer support and increase user base. At this price I feel as if they're working against themselves. I hope I'm wrong because more competition is always better but that's just the way I and the people I know feel. I think it would have been smarter if they launched a low end BB 10 device at $199 or something along with the Z10. They would generate a lot more sales that way.
    04-14-13 11:09 PM
    In what way has Blackberry set themselves apart from other smartphones with their latest phones?
    With the Z10 at at least.

The keyboard alone is very different and superior. Makes you wonder why others couldn't have made better touch keyboards after so long.

The time shift in the camera wows everyone I show it to. Yeah there are other ways to do something similar with burst mode etc. And yet BlackBerry made the feature pop in its implementation.

Posted via BlackBerry 10
    04-15-13 12:58 AM
    Same answer as I gave months ago - the correct answer: they aren't going to survive as the RIM we knew ie. a major player. At best, they may survive as a small niche player...and I'll now add, that won't last terribly long.

Sad for fans? Yes, but ultimately, life goes on smoothly - may even be good to learn that lesson!

And even though this may sound grim to many, oh well, if you own a z10 now, and really like it, then that is a good thing, so appreciate that!

Already I think the board as a whole has changed their thinking quite a bit from before release. Back then, their was still the notion that BB10 would take-off like a rocket, revolutionizing the world, and returning BB to #1 - with Android and iOS crumbling before them. Giddy with glee, the fanboys tittered, awaiting the huge "surprises" to be revealed. The hub, the flow....those were just little side things that BB could show...the other stuff...the REAL stuff....well we wouldn't want others to STEAL that!!!

The product was going to shock, the launch was going to be epic.......now we are along the lines of: it may sell 20 mil. and BB will slowly build over many years (what I called the best case scenario before). I'm somewhat gratified, even though I know the fanboys would never admit it, that the zeitgeist has changed to a more realistic scenario.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    04-15-13 01:31 AM
    In what way, have Samsung, Sony, HTC (ok, the ONE is a really nice phone!!!!), ZTE, Huawei, LG, Motorola etc set themselves apart from each other? The answer is Android skins, which more or less means, they didn't.

If OS10 has at least one major difference (for exemple, they run QNX, have app restrictions, use gestures, have "Multitasking", have the first usable touchkeyboard), than your question, answers itself.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-13 01:36 AM
    Same answer as I gave months ago - the correct answer: they aren't going to survive as the RIM we knew ie. a major player. At best, they may survive as a small niche player...and I'll now add, that won't last terribly long.

Sad for fans? Yes, but ultimately, life goes on smoothly - may even be good to learn that lesson!

And even though this may sound grim to many, oh well, if you own a z10 now, and really like it, then that is a good thing, so appreciate that!

Already I think the board as a whole has changed their thinking quite a bit from before release. Back then, their was still the notion that BB10 would take-off like a rocket, revolutionizing the world, and returning BB to #1 - with Android and iOS crumbling before them. Giddy with glee, the fanboys tittered, awaiting the huge "surprises" to be revealed. The hub, the flow....those were just little side things that BB could show...the other stuff...the REAL stuff....well we wouldn't want others to STEAL that!!!

The product was going to shock, the launch was going to be epic.......now we are along the lines of: it may sell 20 mil. and BB will slowly build over many years (what I called the best case scenario before). I'm somewhat gratified, even though I know the fanboys would never admit it, that the zeitgeist has changed to a more realistic scenario.
    That is not BBRY's fault!!! If the people here, did not understand how the smartphone market works... Don't blame it on BlackBerry. They stated they aim for nr 3. CrackBerry Kevin repeated that thousands of times.
    Users should sometimes engulf themselves with reality...

I know you didn't state that. In fact, we may share the same opinion. It was just a long needed little rant^^

Posted via CB10
    richardat likes this.
    04-15-13 01:40 AM
    Yes

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    04-15-13 03:57 AM
    I've always said there's not enough room for more than two big players in the smartphone OS arena. The market share numbers have supported my belief for the last 3 years now.

sent from the slow as hell connection hanging Tapatalk app
    04-16-13 07:01 AM
    Well the way things are going now, I really don't think BlackBerry can survive on their own.. Discontinuation of the PlayBook.. Makes no sense.. At least make a new tablet..

All these new products coming out by Google (Chromecast, Ubuntu) BlackBerry just seems way behind in technology.. Apple is old in terms of UI and OS, but they are always on top of their game. They will make sure they stay on top and that their customers are satisfied! BlackBerry is just doing alright. Staying afloat.. But that's not going to take them very far in this day and age.. They need to be innovative! Come out with something unique and better than the rest and in my opinion they aren't doing that... trying to persuade other platform users to convert to BlackBerry is near impossible since they already have what they need... I really don't see a future for BlackBerry and I LOVE BlackBerry!.. Just keeping it real!
    07-29-13 01:05 PM
    With the Z10 at at least.

The keyboard alone is very different and superior. Makes you wonder why others couldn't have made better touch keyboards after so long.

The time shift in the camera wows everyone I show it to. Yeah there are other ways to do something similar with burst mode etc. And yet BlackBerry made the feature pop in its implementation.

Posted via BlackBerry 10
    I am sorry, but the BB10 keyboard is not OBJECTIVELY superior. It's just a matter of preference. I myself find SwiftKey with Flow to be superior to BB10 keyboard.

As for Time Shift, it's just that - wow someone who you are demoing the phone to. Otherwise, many other phones have similar "wow technologies" as far as cameras are concerned.

I am just not sure how these two things can make the OS VALUABLY differentiated to make people switch from their respective platforms.

Security (?) might be such a differentiator, but it doesn't seem to be valued by ordinary customers (and businesses) much. Or at least not as much as to overcome some more apparent problems with BB10 at the moment.
    anon(4166778) likes this.
    07-29-13 01:51 PM
    The mobile carriers have little or no incentive to push BlackBerry products. This is a serious problem and coupled with the weak advertising and negative perception surrounding BB in the marketplace it all adds up to a depressing situation.

There is still a huge amount of inertia with iOS and Android and it's this fact alone that is making it extremely difficult for smaller players to increase their installed base.
    07-29-13 10:39 PM