12 Biggest Rumors About the iPhone 6

Larger Screen
    When you ask anyone using a Samsung or HTC smartphone why they don't have an iPhone, they'll probably tell you that they wanted a bigger screen. Apple has definitely heard those complaints, so it's no surprise that the iPhone 6 will almost certainly have a larger display. The earliest evidence points to a 4.7" screen at a resolution of 1704x960 pixels. There are also rumors and leaks that point to an even larger 5.5" model. Some analysts are predicting that these two different sizes might be two different models, the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6c

iOS 8
    A new iPhone almost guarantees a new operating system, so the iPhone 6 will very likely come with iOS 8. This new iPhone OS probably will look and feel very similar to iOS 7, but tweaks to the graphics aren't out of the question. iOS 8 will most likely focus on adding new functionality, such as improvements to Maps and Siri. There are also rumors of new apps that will be focused on health and wellness.

Stronger More Durable Screen
    The iPhone has been using Corning Gorilla Glass for its touchscreen surface for years, but that may change with the iPhone 6. There are big rumors that Apple is planning to switch to the more damage-resistant sapphire crystal material that is currently used in the camera lens. A recent partnership with manufacturer GT Advanced makes this a highly likely possibility.

Thinner and Lighter
    Early mockups up the iPhone 6 show that the phone will be substantially larger to accomodate the new screen, but it will also be nearly 10% thinner than the iPhone 5s. The rumored dimensions are: length - 138mm, width - 67mm, and depth - 7mm. Despite the overall larger size, this new phone is expected to weight a bit less than before.

Smaller and Faster Processors
    The iPhone 5s currently uses Apple's A7 processor, but the iPhone 6 is expected to use the next-generation A8 chip instead. This new, smaller chip continues to use quad-core 64-bit technology and is expected to bring a 20-30% performance increase. The phone also incorporates a Series 6XT PowerVR GPU that should provide about 50% better performance for graphics.

Optical Image Stabilization
    The iPhone's camera is already the best one you can find in a smartphone, with the only competition coming from the Samsung Galaxy S5 and Nokia Lumia 1020. Apple recently partnered with InvenSense, which likely means that the camera in the iPhone 6 is adding optical image stabilization. This feature uses a tiny gyroscope that senses motion and helps you take less blurry pictures.

Additional Sensors
    Samsung has been adding all sorts of cool sensors to its phones recently, which means Apple is playing catch up. A barometer and heart rate sensor are the most likely new additions that will match the Samsung Galaxy S5. The iPhone 6 will also keep all its old sensors, including the fingerprint sensor.

Faster WiFi8 of 13
    WiFi technology took a big jump in the past year when 802.11ac (aka "Gigabit") became the new standard. This new version of WiFi provides up to 3x faster speeds compared to the old 802.11n version. Apple will likely decide to future-proof the iPhone 6 by including Gigabit WiFi, which means smoother Internet use at home and work.

NFC
    The iPhone has been rumored to get near field communication (NFC) technology for the past 2 years, and it never happened. However, it could become a reality this year in the iPhone 6. NFC would allow you to simply swipe your phone to make payments or check in at locations. Apple is supposedly working with manufacturer NXP to develop this technology.

Same Colors
    The iPhone 6 will likely have a new look, but the color schemes will stay the same. The iPhone 6 will continue to come in gold, space gray, and silver. If an iPhone 6c is also released, then Apple will probably keep the same color lineup as before (white, red, yellow, blue, green).

Price Hike
    The price of the iPhone has become stagnant over the past few years, but all the improvements in the iPhone 6 cannot come without a cost. Either Apple will choose to eat some of the cost, or there will have to be a price hike. Some analysts are predicting that the price ofthe iPhone 6 could jump as much as $100!

September Release Date
    Of all the rumors about the iPhone 6, the most reliable one is the release date. The past two iPhone models have been announced in September, and there's no reason to think that this one will be any different. Expect Apple to schedule an announcement at the beginning of the month and have the new devices go for sale a week or two later.Can the BlackBerry Passport compete with the iPhone 6?-ip6.jpgCan the BlackBerry Passport compete with the iPhone 6?-ip6-2.jpg
    07-05-14 10:51 AM
    Yes.
    07-05-14 10:57 AM
    I'm not worried about phone features. The only thing the iPhone 6 will dominate spec wise is the camera quality. I'm not worried about processor performance, as the passport will feature a quad core snapdragon and 3gb of RAM.

The passport can't beat the iPhone 6, but it can maneuver around it because it's so different, and is offering new technology of its own in the touch sensitive keyboard.

OS is most important. 10.3 is going to be a huge upgrade, I would argue it deserves a new number, blackberry 11, but I know 10 rolls off the tongue better, I get it.

If 10.3 can really break through and match ios 8 in polish, the passport will really turn some heads. I'm really hoping the rumors about the technology being used in the new intelligent assistant are true. BlackBerry needs a competent voice command system.

the consumer will still go for the iPhone 6, but blackberry can make the business user think twice with the heavy upgrade to the hub and other productivity features coming in 10.3

If I could afford either, I'd be looking hard at the passport. But I'm broke, so I'll probly wait for 10.3.1 for my z10.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-14 11:01 AM
    So Apple is continuing to play the catch-up game and aren't really adding anything that isn't already on other phones?

The Passport will be fine. The Passport will have its user base and the iPhone will have its own.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-14 11:09 AM
    No, and it's not meant to.
    Bla1ze, yessuz, walt63 and 27 others like this.
    07-05-14 11:09 AM
    Exactly.

Posted via CB10
    Bla1ze, yessuz, Jrox74 and 3 others like this.
    07-05-14 11:18 AM
    Nice.

My Z10 - an extension of me
    07-05-14 12:39 PM
    From a hardware perspective it may be close, but as far as the overall package is concerned, I'm not certain the Passport was designed with mass consumer appeal in mind like the iPhone.
    07-05-14 01:18 PM
    ^^

This.
    07-05-14 01:19 PM
    They don't compete in the same space. Iphone 6 will sell more on launch day than the Passport does in a year. Samsung and other Android OEMs will feel the pinch tho since Apple finally saw the light that people want larger screens.
    07-05-14 03:19 PM
    Two different devices. The Passport is meant to be a serious business device while the iPhone 6 is meant to be for the masses. But man, the 6 sure looks gaudy to me....

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk
    07-05-14 03:20 PM
    NO, Apple will go on to sell millions upon millions of devices as they usually do. The passport, while amazing, unfortunately won't do anything to hinder those sales. It will take a little more time before BlackBerry can gain a considerable amount of market share. I also cannot wait to get my hands on a Passport! It looks so sweeeeet

Posted via CB10
    stratax and janjan11 like this.
    07-05-14 04:05 PM
    Tbh I dont know if 10.3 can compete with iOS8.

I really don't like apple but they stepped up their game with the features and apis. the only thing they have missing is the hub but devs like Accompli are all over it.

Passport is going to be a hit or miss. Every apple phone will be a hit.

Passport vs iphone 6 is like comparing apples to oranges. Compare it to the S5 instead.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-14 04:11 PM
    "Can Passport compete with this iPhone 6"

Shirley you can't be serious...

Z10
    07-05-14 04:14 PM
    I would consider thanking to answer the question if you are comparing the iPhone to a all touch flagship from BlackBerry but sadly it's not, and not even close form factor.

Posted via CB10
    mas_quemex and Oiram Asojonih like this.
    07-05-14 04:19 PM
    The Passport will win the innovative physical keyboard category. The iPhone 6 will win everything else.

The Passport is unlikely to sell well, and by that I predict the worst unit sales of any BB10 device to date. Best case? The Passport functions VERY well and actually converts a significant number of consumers back to keyboard smartphones.

We'll see. The numbers will tell the tale.

Z-30/STA 100-5/10.3.0.700+.296/T-Mobile USA
    07-05-14 04:56 PM
    No need to compare specs. This is what typical consumers will notice first - Touchscreen vs PKB. Square versus rectangle. And this is assuming BlackBerry advertises
    07-05-14 05:41 PM
    An iPhone with a larger screen... is still an iPhone, no 10x!

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.3247
    maddie1128 and acovey like this.
    07-05-14 06:30 PM
    Physical keyboard vs all touch comparison?
    07-05-14 06:37 PM
    It's not meant to compete with any iPhone.

BB Proud
    acovey likes this.
    07-05-14 06:38 PM
    why does this read like a plug for an Iphone 6 ad and not necessarily a comparison?
    stealthbob and paulo_mealha like this.
    07-05-14 07:23 PM
    "Can Passport compete with this iPhone 6"

Shirley you can't be serious...

Z10

07-05-14 07:36 PM
    I thought you were going to link to an old "be different" Apple ad.

Everything I say is my OPINION and is based on my experiences and what I have learned. It is not meant to attack but to drive meaningful conversation. Let's all be civil!
    07-05-14 07:42 PM
    My favorite movie! Haha, but seriously though, as it has been said, the Passport cannot compete with the iPhone 6 because it's not supposed to. The real argument should be: is that a good thing? Did BlackBerry take the right path by going with something so strangely different considering their position/brand image/consumer perception?
    07-05-14 07:43 PM
    My favorite movie! Haha, but seriously though, as it has been said, the Passport cannot compete with the iPhone 6 because it's not supposed to. The real argument should be: is that a good thing? Did BlackBerry take the right path by going with something so strangely different considering their position/brand image/consumer perception?
    So technically the Passport has no competition. Don't you need some competition though, in order to gain customers? If no one knows you are making something supposedly new and innovative who is going to buy it? Will they advertise it? Will they go to enterprise to show it off?

Everything I say is my OPINION and is based on my experiences and what I have learned. It is not meant to attack but to drive meaningful conversation. Let's all be civil!
    07-05-14 07:48 PM
207 123 ...